It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Citizen Joins Kurdish Rebels in IS Fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Jordan Matson, a 28-year-old from Sturtevant, Wisconsin is a surprising recruit to a group of Kurdish fighters battling the Islamic State group, but the former U.S. Army soldier says he's not going home "until the fight is finished." (Feb. 4)

Interesting but I really think he needs to back off and let the governments handle this because its not his fight. I know his intentions are good but if he is captured I shudder just thinking of what IS would do to an American hostage. If they could kill their own with such brutality imagine what they would do to an American.

Seriously joining a rag tag militia to take on a heavily armed/trained/experienced army of terrorists is not a good idea.
edit on 8-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

I admire him.
Many throughout history have done the same fighting fascists in Spain and such.
It is his right to do so and I hope he is doing much for US and Kurdish relations.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I admire him.
Many throughout history have done the same fighting fascists in Spain and such.
It is his right to do so and I hope he is doing much for US and Kurdish relations.

I admire him too but it simply isn't a wise decision. But he made a good point in the video about his fellow soldiers dying in iraq. If IS take over then it means they all died in vain and the war on terror would be a failure. we cannot let IS win.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I don't have the balls to do that.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Lets hope he doesn't come home in two Body bags. How long before IS Infiltrate their enemy just to capture one or two Foreigners. ?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I had the same thought when I saw them burn that pilot. Let's get 'er done. However, just like the Crusades, we will wait until the barbarians are at out back door before we decide to fight.

"Christians in the eleventh century were not paranoid fanatics. Muslims really were gunning for them.
By the time the Crusades started, Muslims had already captured two-thirds of the Christian world. The Crusades were a direct response to more than four centuries of Muslim aggression." www.catholicculture.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Just like to point out the kurds have been fighting in this region for quite a long time. They may be a militia but I wouldn't call them rag tag.

They are just as experienced as any middle east combat unit. They just don't have the supply line because nobody want to support them directly due to politics.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
someone please give him the biggest-balls-of-the-week-award.

if thugs and murderers can travel down there to fight with IS why should normal humans not go there to fight IS scum?

yesterday i read the germans agonize how they can integrate desperate jihadist fighters who travel back to germany the best way back in society. they consider apartments, social care etc. (what a twisted chain of thought!)
so i guess people who join the kurds and then travel back must really be treated as heroes no?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman
Interesting but I really think he needs to back off and let the governments handle this because its not his fight. I know his intentions are good but if he is captured I shudder just thinking of what IS would do to an American hostage. If they could kill their own with such brutality imagine what they would do to an American.

I think Jordan is well aware of the risks in fighting IS. In fact, i'd wager that most foreign fighters with the Kurds understand the potential ramifications of their actions. Many have said they had reserved a bullet for themselves if things turned bad...

Seriously joining a rag tag militia to take on a heavily armed/trained/experienced army of terrorists is not a good idea.

The Kurds are well experienced in warfare and guerrilla tactics. In fact, the Syrian Kurdish YPG was established with the help of The PKK, which has decades worth of experience in Turkey. Additionally, the YPG itself has been battling IS since it entered Syria years ago.

IS may be better equipped, but the Kurds are better fighters. In the last two weeks, we have seen the YPG and YPJ liberate Kobane and proceed to free over 100 villages in its region.
edit on 8-2-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

If we cannot let ISIS win then of course its a wise decision for him to join! I like how the guy said....the government said it was "an Iraq problem"...which means the usa #ed that place up so much ...some of my psyops friends when the war first started said this very thing....everyone will ditch their uniforms and once the soldiers are gone a new group will form. Pretty prophetic looking back.

Im more curious how these guys find the recruitment page. Id consider going myself

top topics

join