It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Stash of Moon Artifacts Found Hidden in Neil Armstrong's Closet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
From sploid.gizmodo.com

After Neil Armstrong's death, his widow, Carol, discovered a white cloth bag in a closet, containing what were obviously either flight or space related artifacts. She contacted Allan Needell, curator of the Apollo collection at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum, and provided photographs of the items.

Needell, who immediately realized that the bag—known to the astronauts as the Purse - and its contents could be hardware from the Apollo 11 mission, asked the authors for support in identifying and documenting the flight history and purpose of these artifacts. After some research it became apparent that the purse and its contents were lunar surface equipment carried in the Lunar Module Eagle during the epic journey of Apollo 11.

Pretty cool stuff! There are lots of pictures in the article which match the items to footage from the mission. Also, there is a video of the Moon landing matched up with Google Moon I hadn't seen before. I can't even begin to imagine how valuable these items are, but I'm certain they will be in a museum, not for sale of course. Or who knows, maybe Mrs. Armstrong will have herself a little auction?

Not even his wife knew about the stash... He would have been in so much trouble had NASA found out he smuggled these items away, but somehow he managed to hold onto these items completely undetected for so many years.

Here is a list of the items in the "McDivitt Purse:"

Power Cable for Data Acquisition Camera
Utility lights
Utility clamps
Crewman Optical Alignment Sight (COAS)
Filter (Snap-on for COAS)
Light Bulb Assembly (Spare for COAS)
Waist Tether (Extra-Vehicular Activity tether)
Helmet Tie Down Strap (x2)
Data Acquisition Camera (DAC -16mm movie)
Right-Angle Bracket Adapter (for DAC)
10-mm lens (for DAC)
Lens Shade (Teflon; for 10mm lens on DAC)
Eyeguard Assembly (for AOT)
Mirror (it's actually polished metal)
Tool B - Emergency Wrench
Waste Management Cover
Netting

That's enough to put the guys from Pawn Stars into cardiac arrest for sure!

edit on 8-2-2015 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Pretty odd stuff apart from camera .
Waste management cover ? I'm suprised the shat didn't hit the fan when that went missing .

So really he was a thief all along ?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Denoli

Seems to be the case. What is it about American heroes that they always end up being liars and/or thieves after all?

Maybe it's just those Armstrong fellas...

*shrugs*

edit on 8-2-2015 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Tbh he is a legend in my eyes , just hope buzz hasn't got a toilet seat tucked away somewhere ,

I went to the moon and all I got was this nasty erm , helmet tie downstrap x2

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I'd call it salvage, rather than theft. If he hadn't taken them, they would have been left in the LM when it was abandoned in orbit (it is believed to have crashed into the Moon after its orbit decayed, but no one knows where or when).

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saint Exupery
I'd call it salvage, rather than theft. If he hadn't taken them, they would have been left in the LM when it was abandoned in orbit (it is believed to have crashed into the Moon after its orbit decayed, but no one knows where or when).

Ooh so when you salvage you hide it in your closet ?
Strange way IMHO

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

originally posted by: Saint Exupery

Ooh so when you salvage you hide it in your closet ?
Strange way IMHO

I take myself as a straight up guy, but I stole some equipment my company was throwing away. They couldn't sell it, it may have been exposed to radiation, they couldn't re use it, but I knew that my history as someone who had traveled to the moon, one day, I could tell the grand kids hey, this went to the moon.

It means nothing to the company because regulations make this stuff completely valueless, but to an Astronaut with a story, a history and the biggest journey in the existence of mankind, its priceless and worth hiding in the closet.

God Speed Neil Armstrong and all of the Apollo Astronauts.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Interesting thread, I wonder if there was anything else he may have had. . .

Could have been planted there as well. . . .

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I saw this on the ALSJ a couple of days ago, and the detective work to nail exactly what each piece is and where it fits in is great.

Some of the pieces are strange (though oddly my eye was drawn to that waste management cover before the DAC), but thinking about it there would not have been much on the LM that wouldn't have been either too big to take away or pretty securely nailed down. As far as grabbing some little souvenirs go, these objects are probably the things that were easiest to grab hold of and stash away. It's not like he tried to make a profit from them.

If he hadn't they would be moon dust by now anyway, as the ascent module was sent off into lunar orbit and crashed some time later.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Quite the packrat. If they ever use his DNA to bring him back he'll probably end up in jail.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012
He would have been in so much trouble had NASA found out he smuggled these items away, but somehow he managed to hold onto these items completely undetected for so many years.

The Apollo crew did mention this bag in their communications with the ground, and the bag's weight was important to include in re-entry calculations. So the mission control must have known about it.

The real mystery is why it was ignored by them upon Neil's return.

www.collectspace.com...

Armstrong mentioned the purse to command module pilot Michael Collins as it was being transferred from one craft to the other.

"That [is] just a bunch of trash that we want to take back — LM parts, odds and ends," Armstrong said.

Later, Collins called Mission Control to note where the bag was being placed for the trip home and about how much it weighed.

It is not known how the purse came to be in Armstrong's possession after the mission, but it wasn't unusual for the astronauts to retain small spent parts of their capsules as souvenirs. In September 2012, one month after Armstrong died, President Barack Obama signed into law a bill that confirmed the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts had legal title their mementos.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Kinda hard to say to the first man on the moon "No you can't take some trinkets away from your adventure".

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

Neat find!

The Man did walk on the moon...he should be entitled to a few 'souvenirs'. I know that if I went to the Moon I'd bring a part of it back with me.

Most of this stuff seems like odd's and ends of little value, but now they have been found NASA will say something like 'these are priceless treasures that have historical significance so they must be procured and preserved for future generations' or in other words 'it might be junk but it's our junk and we're taking it back'.

Who knows why he took those things-perhaps they are just mementos, or maybe Armstrong stashed them knowing that they could make a pretty penny in the future which could help the Armstrong family if times got tough.

Either way the reasons died with Neil...and The legend of Armstrong's treasure was born.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Your thread title is all wrong too.

These items aren't from the moon or discovered there, they were bits and pieces within the Shuttle!!

Stop with the over exagerated titles!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012
From sploid.gizmodo.com

After Neil Armstrong's death, his widow, Carol, discovered a white cloth bag in a closet, containing what were obviously either flight or space related artifacts. She contacted Allan Needell, curator of the Apollo collection at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum, and provided photographs of the items.

Needell, who immediately realized that the bag—known to the astronauts as the Purse - and its contents could be hardware from the Apollo 11 mission, asked the authors for support in identifying and documenting the flight history and purpose of these artifacts. After some research it became apparent that the purse and its contents were lunar surface equipment carried in the Lunar Module Eagle during the epic journey of Apollo 11.

Pretty cool stuff! There are lots of pictures in the article which match the items to footage from the mission. Also, there is a video of the Moon landing matched up with Google Moon I hadn't seen before. I can't even begin to imagine how valuable these items are, but I'm certain they will be in a museum, not for sale of course. Or who knows, maybe Mrs. Armstrong will have herself a little auction?

Not even his wife knew about the stash... He would have been in so much trouble had NASA found out he smuggled these items away, but somehow he managed to hold onto these items completely undetected for so many years.

Here is a list of the items in the "McDivitt Purse:"

Power Cable for Data Acquisition Camera
Utility lights
Utility clamps
Crewman Optical Alignment Sight (COAS)
Filter (Snap-on for COAS)
Light Bulb Assembly (Spare for COAS)
Waist Tether (Extra-Vehicular Activity tether)
Helmet Tie Down Strap (x2)
Data Acquisition Camera (DAC -16mm movie)
Right-Angle Bracket Adapter (for DAC)
10-mm lens (for DAC)
Lens Shade (Teflon; for 10mm lens on DAC)
Eyeguard Assembly (for AOT)
Mirror (it's actually polished metal)
Tool B - Emergency Wrench
Waste Management Cover
Netting

That's enough to put the guys from Pawn Stars into cardiac arrest for sure!

yeah.... it will be bought up by a very rich entity... and it will disappear while we think museum...
or they take it back... we will never see them is my guess... specially if theres something " interesting"
edit on 8-2-2015 by dennisarends because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Neil Armstrong's tidbits and whatnots from his unique adventure would have, as a poster stated, crashed into the moon if he didn't take them. I'm glad he thought to do this, and saved these pieces of now historic glueons and whatcyamacallits for generations of non-moon walking world citizens to see, point at, and maybe touch ("Dad, I can't believe I'm actually holding Apollo 11's Right-Angle Bracket Adapter for DAC!"). Now I know what I want for Christmas.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Your thread title is all wrong too.

These items aren't from the moon or discovered there, they were bits and pieces within the Shuttle!!

Stop with the over exagerated titles!

ah yes, Neil Armstrong, the most famous "shuttle" pilot
of them all. I bet next we are gonna hear that there was
no such thing as a Space Shuttle in 1969.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
just further proof debunking one of the apollo propagandists favorite fallacies , & that the astronauts were clearly able to keep secrets , even from their own wifes.. its perplexing how of the many of thousands of workers on apollo , not one of them said anything about what was in Neils closet...

edit on 8-2-2015 by Misinformation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

When its' junk no one wants and you have no need for.. sure.

I have a NES UForce new in box in my closet among other things id not display on a mantle.

For all we know he told someone when he landed and they just said sure who cares. Im sure they were more intereates in what they were supposes to bring back and the fact they were alive.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

When its' junk no one wants and you have no need for.. sure.

I have a NES UForce new in box in my closet among other things id not display on a mantle.

For all we know he told someone when he landed and they just said sure who cares. Im sure they were more intereates in what they were supposes to bring back and the fact they were alive.

Just glad they got quarantined !
Because we don't want the population killing off due to a right angle bracket adapter !
But I'm sure that happened .

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join