It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP spill left 'bathtub ring' of oil across more than 1,200 square miles of Gulf seafloor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is still making an impact, it seems like that we will be cleaning this up for generations while most of America has forgotten about the event.

Also BP has sold that well rights.

www.nola.com...

Scientists have found evidence of a "bathtub ring" of oil particles from the BP Deepwater Horizon spill covering more than 1,200 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico's seafloor, according to a study published online Monday (Oct. 27) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
A team of scientists with the University of California-Santa Barbara, University of California-Irvine, and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute tested more than 3,000 samples of sediment taken from 534 locations in the Gulf for the chemical hepane, a constituent of crude oil that was found in the oil released from BP's Macondo well.

Alternative energy sources are gaining popularity, how many more massive oil spills and eco-system catastrophes will it take before the common citizens decide enough is enough?
edit on 8-2-2015 by jrod because: cleanup

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'm hoping the crude isn't too big a deal in the long run. The ecosystem has mechanisms in place for filtering large amounts constantly released from natural seeps and some biology actually lives off of it. Not that too much of a good thing is ever healthy and I'm sure we lost some local species because of it.

What I believe will be the most harmful is the unimaginable amount of Corexit that was pumped into the flow to try and misrepresent the volume of crude being spewed. Its a witches brew of toxins that ocean biology has never evolved to deal with.

edit on 8-2-2015 by CraftBuilder because: of typos.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

What I believe will be the most harmful is the unimaginable amount of Corexit that was pumped into the flow to try and misrepresent the volume of crude being spewed. Its a witches brew of toxins that ocean biology has never evolved to deal with.

in the long run the earth will recover from this...the current species on the planet now including us may struggle

On topic.....yep what a disaster BP should have been wiped out of business for that and the entire upper management jailed for life,and every cent the company has ever made be put into fixing this

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
That would be one hell of a job to clean up. I have plenty of experience cleaning bathrooms, but that bathtub ring would require a lot more than anyone could do.

So what? The world's oceans and surface waters are just a big toilet for mankind. The ocean life need a sign on the beach that reads, "Please don't pee in our ocean, we don't swim in your toilet."

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

This is a bit different than natural seepage of crude oil into the environment and you make an excellent point about Corexit that was used in the clean-up.

This spill is bigger than BP, it is about the oil industry in general. Flights were diverted so passengers would not see the oil slicks. Now when an oil well blows in the gulf, it may not even make the moves. It is almost as if the MSM in under a gag order to not report what goes wrong within the industry.
edit on 8-2-2015 by jrod because: e

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Not only were flights diverted but the U.S. instituted a no-fly zone so single engine pilots would stop getting videos of dolphins dying and the like. It was such a horrible thing to have happened, and should be commemorated with statues and postage stamps and other things so the public is reminded of what corporate greed and incompetence was, and is, capable of in terms of damage to the earth.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The spill doesn't appear to be in that great of an area in ratio to the entire gulf. The oil isn't as much of a hazard on the ocean floor like that as it is for an oil rig to dump a load on the seashore. It's to be concerned about to a certain degree. At least no fish habitat or fishing waters are ruined or, you know, 100 miles of coastline are sterilized. It's not that bad, this one here.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

There are still dead zones in the gulf associated with this, at least that is what Gulf fishermen seem to think. Occasionally globs will still was ashore. (though it could be from any rig....)

When it happened I know many people in the Keys were worried it would be the end of the reef system. It was not as bad as some had feared, but certainly catastrophic for some of the Gulf.

It is not just deep horizon, all over the globe we have oil spill problems. It is something my generation and future generations need to address.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Well then why aren't they cleaning up their messes? There should be certain amount of accountability shouldn't there be?

new topics

top topics

join