It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Water found on Mars Could It Be Evidence Of Alien Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So here is some news of water found on mars, which means there may be life on mars as well.

NASA's Curiosity rover is continuing to help scientists piece together the mystery of how Mars lost its surface water over the course of billions of years.

The rover drilled into a piece of Martian rock called Cumberland and found some ancient water hidden within it. Researchers were then able to test a key ratio in the water with Curiosity's onboard instruments to gather more data about when Mars started to lose its water, NASA officials said. In the same sample, Curiosity also detected the first organic molecules it has found. Mission scientists announced the discovery in a news conference today (Dec. 15) at the American Geophysical Union's convention in San Francisco, where they also unveiled Curiosity's first detection of methane on Mars.

"It's really interesting that our measurements from Curiosity of gases extracted from ancient rocks can tell us about loss of water from Mars," Paul Mahaffy, Curiosity's SAM (Sample Analysis at Mars) instrument principal investigator at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said in a statement.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it.

There are lots of places in the universe where you have water and lots of places where you have organic molecules. None of it means there is life.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

How old is this vid? For sure there has once been life on Mars at some point. I guarantee that if the rover used some sort of underground x-ray device they would also find fossils. There has been great supporting evidence that there was a nuclear blast millions of years ago on Mars which likely killed all life on the planet.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

So here is some news of water found on mars, which means there may be life on mars as well.
The water was mineralized, molecularly bound, not liquid. It's quite well established that there was abundant water on Mars long ago. That opens the possibility that life may have existed but it doesn't have much to do with the present.

It's usually a mistake to rely on consumer media to get science right.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Unfortunately, there is no conclusive proof available either way that there is, or was, life on Mars. Or any other planet for that matter. All we can do is speculate and draw conclusions at this point in time.

Given the abundance of life on Earth at both ends of the temperature spectrum for instance, my personal opinion is that the entire universe is teeming with life - it just makes no sense that we are it, one little planet......."seems like an awful waste of space, don't you think".

Finding water or not - Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Not exactly drinkable water as yet...but the organic molecules are interesting...wonder if any match the mars meteorites....found on earth.....

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise if we find something someday, but there have been so many of these announcements, that I view this type of thing with a jaundiced eye.

Hence, I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I thought this was interesting perhaps there is life on mars we arent aware of just yet. . . .

NASA’s “Curiosity” rover on Mars has found potential evidence of former life on the red planet. The spacecraft has sent data back to Earth indicating large methane spikes, leading some to believe they are close to finding long-awaited Martian life. RT’s Lindsay France details the findings.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Evidence of water is evidence of water. Evidence of life is evidence of life. Evidence of water is not evidence of life. We’ve already established it has/had water, but life is still an unknown. I doubt it’ll be a whole lot longer, though, before we make a determination one way or the other on the life issue.

I think I saw a movie once called, “Biker Chicks From Mars”. Man, what if the rover comes across bike parts laying around somewhere? Whoa, now that would be so cool. Also, that would constitute evidence of life. Kinda...

Let the good times roll...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Water was known about a long time ago. It's not evidence of life. It raises the possibility for life.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I might be willing to believe that life could exist right now on Mars but it would be difficult to believe that that any life that might exist on Mars would be anything more than merely fungus, proteins or other primitive algaes or whatnot. Another words, there are obviously no ecosystems on Mars that could support free-moving animal life. Any life that could be found on the surface of Mars would be stationary and attached to minerals and would be of a size not seen with the naked eye.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I have never heard a strong argument for Mars once having abundant life. We know the ball park time range of when water was abundant on Mars. We know it wasn't long enough for advanced life to evolve (compared to Earth). With this known information I don't know why people bother with pictures of Mars saying ooh look it's a building etc...

I believe the Martian atmosphere and water lasted for the first 500 million years?

Researching "when did Mars lose it's atmosphere," they results come up with 4 billion years ago. If Mars was formed the same time as Earth (4.5 billion years), that leaves 500 million years for life to form. It took a billion years for simple cells to form on Earth.

So Earth hasn't even formed simple cells by the time Mars has an advanced civilization? Ummm...okay....
edit on 9-2-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Its an interesting topic, I guess we would need to have some satellites in orbit which are able to detect life and signs of life on the surface as well as have ground penetrating radar to have a good look around the planet.

I doubt we would be informed of any animal life or humanoid life on mars even if they found it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Here is an astrobiologist Richard Hoover who found evidence of extraterrestrial life in meteorites.

Astrobiologist Richard Hoover spent more than forty six years working at NASA. In that time, he established the Astrobiology Research Group at the NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center, and became internationally known for his research on microfossils in meteorites. Hoover has published many papers in which he asserts the discovery of extraterrestrial life in meteorites.

Hoover no longer works for NASA, but he continues his controversial research and is currently an astrobiologist at Athens State University and a visiting research professor with the Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham. Hoover discussed his research in a lecture at the 2014 International UFO Congress. At the event, Hoover sat down with journalist Lee Speigel of the Huffington Post. Speigel asked Hoover to explain what it is that convinces him that life is not restricted to Earth. Hoover responded, "I am absolutely convinced that life is not restricted to the planet Earth because I have found the remains of lifeforms that are absolutely, conclusively extraterrestrial."

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Here is an astrobiologist Richard Hoover who found evidence of extraterrestrial life in meteorites.

Astrobiologist Richard Hoover spent more than forty six years working at NASA. In that time, he established the Astrobiology Research Group at the NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center, and became internationally known for his research on microfossils in meteorites. Hoover has published many papers in which he asserts the discovery of extraterrestrial life in meteorites.

Hoover no longer works for NASA, but he continues his controversial research and is currently an astrobiologist at Athens State University and a visiting research professor with the Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Buckingham. Hoover discussed his research in a lecture at the 2014 International UFO Congress. At the event, Hoover sat down with journalist Lee Speigel of the Huffington Post. Speigel asked Hoover to explain what it is that convinces him that life is not restricted to Earth. Hoover responded, "I am absolutely convinced that life is not restricted to the planet Earth because I have found the remains of lifeforms that are absolutely, conclusively extraterrestrial."

An unprecedented discovery that went unnoticed in the news media for the greater part. They'd rather go to third world countries and take acid with indigenous peoples then call it investigative work.

posted on Feb, 13 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I wouldnt be suprised if there was life on mars as well as on every planetoid in the universe.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Except he did not.

"If you look at the microscope photos, they are certainly suggestive – looking like photos made of various terrestrial bacteria," Shostak told SPACE.com. "But then again, while intriguing, that's hardly proof. If similarity in appearance were all it took to prove similarity in kind, then it would be pretty easy for me to demonstrate that there are big animals living in the sky, because I see clouds that look like them."

Nothing Hoover found is confirmation of life. Life is AN explanation, of which there are others. There is literally nothing Hoover found that can only be explained by life. The problem then is compounded by the fact life is the LEAST LIKELY explanation.

The type of microbe Hoover claims to have discovered has also provoked some scientists' skepticism.

Cyanobacteria live in liquid water and are photosynthetic, meaning they convert carbon dioxide into organic compounds using energy from sunlight. That implies that the meteorites would have had to contain liquid water exposed to sunlight, and also that high concentrations of oxygen would be present, said astrobiologist Chris McKay of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If there was ever life on Mars and was similar to Earths, just image all the natural resourses.
Look at all the lengths we have gone to for it all here on Earth, the wars, the lies.
Plus the minerals. It may not be feasibly to get it back but who knows....

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Of course there's some form of microbial life on Mars it's all over everything. It's on the outside of the space station it's on comets it's on asteroids this whole thing is a joke.

We don't even understand the complexities of life and the vast array of ways it can exist. We assume that life's only form exist as we exist and it's arrogant and stupid. They need to redfine what Life is and start from there.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Except there is zero evidence for that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join