It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, Hey, Hey. Mel Brooks Hints at Spaceballs Sequel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Spaceballs, the 1987 spoof of Star Wars might get a sequel 30yrs later. In classic tradition Mel Brooks, the creator of the film is reported as saying that he wants to release the film AFTER the Force Awakens movie comes out this December.

On Adam Carolla's paid subscription podcast "Take a Knee" last week, Brooks said he's hoping to get a sequel off the ground called "Spaceballs: The Search for More Money," after the release of Lucasfilm's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" in December.

A listener posted on Reddit that Brooks said on the podcast that he would love to have many of the original cast members reprise their roles.

"Spaceballs-The Search for More Money" I've gotta admit that I'm a little excited for another Spaceballs movie; I loved the original....."May the Schwartz be with you"......with Lord Helmet, Barf, and a vibrant cast of characters. Unfortunately, Hollywood has a history of ruining classic movies. Hopefully, this one won't disappoint. What says ATS?

www.cnet.com...=YHF65cbda0

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Space Balls 2 already happened:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Spaceballs without John Candy ? , just doesn't seem right.
Some things are best left as standalone classics in my view.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Spaceballs without John Candy ? , just doesn't seem right.
Some things are best left as standalone classics in my view.

No Joan Rivers either. It's a mighty big risk but Mel Brooks might not disappoint.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Missing two of the original cast is a big downer for a sequel, but the show must go on. I would love to see a sequel as long as it wasn't a dirty low budget money grab that does happen time from time in Hollywood when a film doesn't have the monetary support to back it up. Many years have passed. Characters can be written off as dead and destroyed, rather than Candy and Rivers being replaced by new actors. The only problem I see is explaining Planet Spaceball's fate.

Of course he could go with an all new cast with the older cast as support. I could go on with speculating. I just know I am on board for this. It's not like it's something that can be ruined like Star Wars or Indiana Jones...as long as it's not a low budget money grab. Either get enough financial aid for the typical Brooks production or don't bother.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I wore the VHS out by rewinding back the "Planet of the Apes" end scene:

Spaceballs!, oh #, there goes the planet.

This I'm going to have to get on BluRay...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm divided on this one. I love Spaceballs and would love to see another but would hate to see it flop and ruin a classic. Being that Mel is doing it as it's original creator is a plus but I just don't know if it will fly. His timing is good however with the release of the new Star Wars. The cast members being gone I don't think matters too much because that is easy to get around and still be acceptable. Better to just not have them as characters in it rather than try and replace them though IMO. It's a big risk and if he does go ahead with it he'd better make sure and pull it off or he'll never hear the end of it and his fan base will be very unhappy that he didn't just leave well enough alone. But, with that said I wish him luck.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I would prefer Mel Brooks to make a sequel to Blazing Saddles, but hey, I can wait till he asks me to write and direct it (Mel Brooks: If you are reading this I have a script for this production!!!!)

new topics

top topics

join