It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative solutions for Welfare, Social Security, Food stamps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Toadmund

A glorius future where we work 6.5 days per week/12 hours per day at wages that can get you that can of tent dry for your cardboard box. At least it's comfortable at work, despite all the sweating.
You see now there is the problem that does not work so well . Many households work twice that and only seem to go further in debt during the process . I want the 6 hour work week the Indians had back in the day . Then we could go hunting ,fishing and visiting for the remainder of the week . :>)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

A glorius future where we work 6.5 days per week/12 hours per day at wages that can get you that can of tent dry for your cardboard box. At least it's comfortable at work, despite all the sweating.
You see now there is the problem that does not work so well . Many households work twice that and only seem to go further in debt during the process . I want the 6 hour work week the Indians had back in the day . Then we could go hunting ,fishing and visiting for the remainder of the week . :>)

why not just go back to a tribal society?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Greetings and Salutations- Some could opine the programs in which You mention are indeed there to keep a "lower than working class" and to keep these folks on the 'teat'. Where would the Prison Industry get their workforce if folks got off the dole? There are far too many programs and being that We're typing about UncleSuga, if 2 are "good" 15 must be better. If it were as easy providing jobs then why the push to open the borders to citizens of the World to come and have a taste? As was noted, there are plenty of folks that currently call the US their home port, yet the borders are open and to make You feel more welcome how about a tax refund even though You've never worked here, EVER...

There are too many programs + too many hands in too many pockets = No way You can turn off the tap..

Here is a question back at You, a quid pro quo if You will.. If it sucks so bad why keep having kids?

And because You too are here in Flori-Duh, it gets real old behind somebody at the Winn-Dixie™ yapping on their cell phone, while they have $1000+ in tattoos and various jewels, then they pay for their A1-Prime Beef with their EBT™ card and then You get to continue to listen to their important cell call because they're still yapping as they drive by in their $45k vehicle with spinning hubcaps...

Why do Walmart™ employees only work 30 hrs a week?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Euthanasia seems to be the choice of canada and oregon.

I wonder how many would choose that route if we had a way to upload people into virtual reality.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yes in principal it doe and to a certain extent in reality as well .When I look at the newer homes that are built with att the technological advances ,I some times shutter to think if our grid was shut down by a CME . Most of these homes would start to rot in a short time . I think there are better methods that would be less costly and much more durable then the pressed wood homes wrapped in plastic we now have .

I think it a matter of deciding that the big screen or even the small TV really has no place in our lives ,despite what Wall Mart and others might like us to think .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Because the average cost of a benefits package the federal government considers acceptable under Obamacare is around $22,000 annually? That's about as much as the average Walmart employee would make in a year even at full-time. So why pay them full-time and then double their effective salary for health care?

Oh, and they'd get taxed on that too.

We are discovering that with my husband's taxes this year. Thanks to O-care, our tax return may be all but wiped out because they consider his benefits to be taxable income. It actually raises the tax rate to about 52%.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Why not at least consider it . A tribal society in the 21 century might just be the cats meow .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I do not think the fish and game population could sustain such.

Perhaps we could turn all the democrats and republicans back into animals.

link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

We have an increasingly tribal society now. What do you think all the "your group is worse than my group" bickering is? It's the manifestation of increasing tribalism.

link   
The worst part about getting paid on the 1st of the month is that people on welfare think you're one of them and want to trade EBT recipes.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
but lets not make the mistake of thinking that health care or welfare are the most expensive programs currently in action, or that fixing them would leave us in so much better of a climate. they are small fish.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Part of the problem is that we even have welfare. Government should not be paying for people's bad decisions and choices.

Most people have no problem helping others in a time of need. However, government welfare policies have essentially created an underclass of people who make bad decisions and have no means or motivations for improving their lives. This gets exacerbated by poor schooling and now globalization makes it damn near impossible for many of these people to be productive in any manner what so ever.

Cutting off welfare entirely would not be the disaster that people claim. What did people do prior to welfare? They got off their asses and worked and knew no one was going to pay for their mistakes. Secondly, when someone is truly need, communities will rally to help that person. I see it all the time in my community where someone may lose everything in a fire or money will be raised to help someone dealing with an expensive health issue. We even provide housing for the working poor. However, at some point, people need to learn to just get on their own two feet. When I see generations of families on welfare, you know the system is broken.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

This isn't about fixing the budget. It's about how to change the social programs so that they actually work to their stated purpose rather than simply being a bit bottomless put from which there is no escape.

I will say this. You find way to dig the people who could be productive out of the hole and break the cycle of poverty for them and their posterity, and you a HUGE potential pool of taxpayers, present and future. That would have an impact on the budget.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah but there is one problem,sometime in the future I would like to sit on my big fat butt and say the heck with it. For now it would be okay,but I'm not going to work till I die either. Not for anyone or any utopian system that won't work.And no they won't work. In a perfect world all problems would be able to be worked out,but we don't live in a perfect world and there has never been any form of system,government or anything else that has not had its draw backs. This is life in this world.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You still see this in action in a lot of Midwestern rural communities today.

Tornado blows through and the people rally and clean up. They usually have things well underway before the FEMA gang every gets their between the locals and the neighboring groups. Everyone in the rural areas knows that today it's this town, next year ... it could be the next little burg over or them.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

There are good ways to address those short comings . I do realize that large cites are not in a very good position though .Aquaponics and small farming using physical labor can produce very good results . It's this running back and forth to work that is so costly with gas,insurance,repairs and things like that .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Who said anything about a Utopia? There is no such place. This is about trying to rebuild the old neighborhood where people helped each out and supported each other through trouble and maybe there is enough there to use it to break the poverty cycle.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

why not just go back to a tribal society?

Not enough fish and game to feed us all.
Our population numbers are a product of oil and commercial farming.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Step one is to recognize that we are talking about monopoly money straight out of the game.

Step two is to recognize that there will never be enough work for everyone.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I know ,but it's not about the whole . It's not a global issue but needs to be taken to the community level . One group with the right attitude can show the way for the next group that wants to pull themselves up .What I am saying is that it could never be accomplished at the federal level by the feds or the states . A perfect example is a couple who lives near their work and does not own a car . They end up with a very big net income compared to a co-worker driving for a half hour to get to the same place .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join