It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK TV Licence law, facts without BS, remember deny ignorance?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RayVon
Agreed.
That thread actually inspired my OP here to be honest, there were calls that it was going off topic but I had to get it off my chest.
I did ask for links to acts of Parliament etc when I challenged some of the other BS in that thread but it was sort of ignored so I'll ignore it myself until/unless there is some detailed content instead of sensationalist emotive ranting.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So any broadcast that is live needs a stupid license but if you watch videos on Youtube or what not no license is needed because it's not live?

As far as live broadcasts, I'm going to assume that only matters to UK live broadcasts but you're free watch/listen live broadcasts from anywhere else in the world via the internet?
edit on 7-2-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

You need more than a few pints in you to deal with the nasty little retards in question!

Then again possibly that's a bad idea considering one would most lightly end up twating the little creeps!

Have a good night!

Haha sober is always better for a knock at the door!
It is a real pity for people who probably get bullied by those twats though, I enjoy a justified use of reasonable force every now and then so no problems for me.
Reasonable defensive force increases as any perceived or actual attack does, so UK law is actually really good for that in my experience but that's another story or two.

Have a good night yourself fella, and anyone else reading this, I'm off out for a wonky night so prob not best for me to be back here until tomorrow.

Cheers all,

GoS.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills
In brief, yes to all.

[closes laptob and jigs off on way to bar]

*Edit*
Had to correct the above, yes to all, but if a live terrestrial broadcast TV channel stream is received in real time via the internet it is considered watching 'live TV'. This only applies to streams from recognised TV broadcasters and live streams which are on broadcast 'normal' TV at the same time.

edit on 7.2.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
To all the non UK people saying TV licenses are dumb and make no sense. Are not we Americans technically doing the same thing when we pay our cable bills every month. Plus £145 a year is a lot cheaper than what my cable bill is yearly. And if we do not pay the cable bill on time. There are fines. If we do not pay the bill plus the fines. It gets sent to a collection agency. The collection agency then comes after us and our credit score takes a hit. The biggest difference is there is no chance to go to jail for not paying your cable bill.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Nope we also pay cable bills im afraid.

TV licence is not included in the subscription even if the crap BBC channels are.

edit on 7-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Dreambox and xbmc ftw!

# the bbc bunch of coked up pedos.

And PM me if you want to know what a dreambox can do.
edit on 7-2-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

at the last visit i had it began so .

9 pm in the evening , hello sir i am from the tv licence authority ,we see from our records that you do not have a tv licence
have you purchased one recently

i replied no

next came , do you have a tv .

i replied no .

next came can i come in and check .

i replied no , not unless you make an appointment .

next came but we can not do that sir , i have to put you down as refusing entry .

since that time i have received a letter every two years asking the same bull s..t , but no visits .

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill

Just answer the door in your underwear with an accompanying erection, big smile on your face plus the Dog in tow.

Simply say "come on in and lets get this party started". Chances are they will be away faster than crap out a goose.

Said technique also works well regarding Jehovah's witnesses.

If they come back with the Police however i don't recommend a repeat performance.

It's all fun and games with those jobs worth little trolls.
edit on 7-2-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Snap. I had the same letter last year and opted to set up a direct debit after never paying for a TV licence. Maybe the decision would have been different if your points are accurate? Too late now lol.

In my opinion, it's worth the money just to keep the BBC going. Although many disagree, I see them as one of the last media outlets that aren't as compromised and degraded by commercial intrusions. They also set a high standard no other corporation, that I know of, can equal so consistently.

Infinite Monkey Cage (science)
Philosopher's Arms (philosophy)
History of the World in a 100 Objects (history)
Comedy podcasts/radio shows
Radio 4
5 Live
Radio 1
1Xtra
Match of the Day
David Attenborough
Melvin Bragg
etc...

One day the BBC will fall and commercials will be inflicted on us every 7-10 minutes. It'll be a sad day...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

One day the BBC will fall and commercials will be inflicted on us every 7-10 minutes. It'll be a sad day...

Thems what you call Fag Breaks.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow. Took a minute to wrap my head around. I can't believe this exists. We just do it legislatively. We fund NPR, and God knows what other tv productions, among other federal grants and programs.

You guys have an old school tax collector, ringing your bell, checking for TVs.

I wish regular people would realize that no one can license an unlawful act. We all lose our freedoms in the subtle changes of definitions and the nature of the discourse. and the fees.

Here, if you put it on the airwaves, it's fair game. More or less. With a decent basic antenna you can get network channels in HD. Buy a TV and plug in antenna, and you have basic free tv. I'm sure some rural areas get less, and some none.

Everything here is on the broadcaster. For that you need a license when you get to a particular power level or/and in a particular bandwidth.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Thems what you call Fag Breaks.

Yeah.

By the time BBC shows ads, ciggies will be gone too...or packs will feature even more ads. 20 deck of Mayfair with Nike 'Just do it' lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Gawd!
I take it back!
There still are some brits with cojones......bloody good show!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The definition of free speech includes the word FREE.....
You Brits are bloody barmy....Defending this egregious bull# just shows how programmed you have become...
Its pathetic really......

But..but...but, the Brits have FOUR TV channels completely free of adverts, except advertising the other three channels, just think, a whole hour without a damn advert! WOW! and radio channels free of adverts!!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Star and flag. Enough said.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
In the UK you can buy a 'freeview' box which provides 30 to 40 'free' TV channels...but if you connect the box and USE it to receive those channels it costs £145 per year for the licence.
You don't need a licence to purchase the box, just at the point you commence using it.

Lol see this is what I don't understand. Why do the rest of those channels require a license to watch when the license is supposed to be funding only BBC? Why not just have a free service and then a separate paid service which gives you access to BBC? The system the UK uses now is totally ridiculous, it doesn't stop people from watching BBC without a license and it must cost a lot of money to send those goons around to harass people.

Who was the genius who developed this system in the first place? Here in Australia we have a few channels which are truly free, no license required. But we also have paid options like Foxtel which give us a larger range of higher quality channels. The paid channels are encrypted so you can't watch them without a Foxtel box and an active subscription. It's a much better system than having to send around Foxtel goons.
edit on 7/2/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

foxtel is higher quality are you joking ?...it is the same crap repeating over and over and over...

On topic..that tv license business is a joke....good on you guys telling em to bugger off

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

foxtel is higher quality are you joking ?...it is the same crap repeating over and over and over...

They do repeat things quite a bit but it is higher quality than free TV. I can barely stand to watch free TV it's just so crap. At least with Foxtel you have movie channels, kids channels, comedy channels, music channels, etc, so you can easily pick what you want to watch. It's worth the cost imo, not that I watch it very often.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

It may have improved over the last couple of years ...either way i haven't watched tv for years,i have a tv which i use when i hire movies but that is about it....the time i used to put into tv now goes on online poker.....i just replaced 1 bad habit with another

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join