It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merry Christmas - Or No Sale (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The Christian Right appears to be busy trying to "Put Christ back in Christmas". A California group calling itself the "Committee to Save Merry Christmas" is arranging a boycott of Macy's due to their alleged replacement of "Merry Christmas" signs with more generic "Season's Greetings" type signs. This isn't an isolated case; for example, a NC church paid for a newspaper ad cajoling the faithful to only spend money in stores that feature "Merry Christmas" ads and displays, and a LA pressure group is campaigning to add a "Merry Christmas" sign to a main government building.

www.cbsnews.com

(AP) Some ultra-conservative Christian groups around the country are trying to put more Christ into Christmas this season.

In Terrebonne Parish, La., an organization is petitioning to add "Merry Christmas" to the red-lighted "Season's Greetings" sign on the main government building and is selling yard signs that read, "We believe in God. Merry Christmas." And a Raleigh, N.C., church recently paid $7,600 for a full-page newspaper ad urging Christians to spend their money only with merchants who include the greeting "Merry Christmas" in ads and displays.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm not really sure what I think about this. It seems crass and maybe rather pointless to resist having "Christ" included in what is, after all, a primarily Christian holiday. But perhaps staging boycotts is a step too far, and in any case I wonder how many of the faithful would really boycott a particular store if that store has what they want at a good price. I personally find the whole Christian Right movement fairly distasteful, but I wouldn't hesitate to shop in a store with Merry Christmas displays...especially if they offer cheap ipods or whatever!

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Merry Christmas !! Must Read!

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Azeari of the Radiant Eye]

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Azeari of the Radiant Eye]

new topics

join