It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living in the USA Vs UK

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

My response below.
edit on 7-2-2015 by WatchRider because: Response added to 2nd post down.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrConspiracy
a reply to: TrueBrit

We don't look after our own. That's the one biggest setback us Brits have. We've let every other culture take over and let foreigners come over, take our jobs and send their wages back home.

Here's a prime example. I went to the Job Centre once. Sat and waited for a meeting regarding a graduate internship scheme. As I waited (for longer than I anticipated) I saw a man who was well dressed (I'm guessing he had been made redundant recently) come to sign on for Job Seekers Allowance. He sat and went through all the jobs he'd applied for and went through the ringer (must have been there 20+ minutes) before being allowed to actually sign for his JSA. At the same time (ish) a man came to sign on also. He was from another country and could not speak a word (and I mean not a WORD) of English. The person he was dealing with rang up a translator and within 5 minutes I saw him sign on and walk away.

A man who couldn't speak English was allowed JSA with much more ease than a well dressed, english speaking man who had applied for numerous jobs from what I heard.

I'm a Brit so I feel I can say this. We don't look after our own as much as we should. Just so we don't offend anyone who isn't "us"

You have to understand, to the those up above in the UK WE are replaceable. The foreigners who come in are given the cushy treatment to get more and more to displace, displace and displace. It doesn't matter what the people look like to the top-tier authorities, they want the meekest, docile people and one way to do that over a few generations is to tower of babel a society like mad.

You are seeing just the tip of the spear my friend.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: MrConspiracy

That's not what I mean.

I mean, at street level, between any two of us that have the slightest thing alike in life, even down no matter what creed we may be, at the thin end of the wedge, in real life, person to person, we look after one another.

The problem is that no matter who gets into government around here, they never enact policies that reflect the moral and ethical beliefs, such as that golden principle, of the whole mass of the people, when they come to legislate. I am not going to try and deny that the UK has its troubles, but the reality is that WE the REAL people of Britain,no matter what they believe, no matter where they might issue from, DO look after one another.

I think your heart is in the right place TB but your avatar has had too much to drink.
Who are the real people of Britain anyway?

Every generation in my family prior to me and my family knew it be British people of ancestral stock to Europe going back to the Ice Age! Yet now apparently, according to the high-priests of media, the school-system and cultural marxism etc they were somehow racist, evil, intolerant for this?

That is the crux of the matter, it always boils down to a nations family of native people on whether , namely if they ofeach time and every time. Brunei, China, Taiwan, Japan, Africa all have this in common. Not Europe, not USA, not Canada.

So if I see the foreigner folk I'll tolerate them, but by golly he isn't my brother or some downtrodden kindred spirit I must embrace in workers solidarity.
edit on 7-2-2015 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

But we in Britain have been welcoming people from many nations for hundreds of years.
Only around 1% of brits are pure blood British.
You need to read up on our history.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider

I mean people who live here, respect the place they are in, enough to love it, enough to be prepared to try, wherever possible to spread a little community and love around the place, enough to know the difference between different, and dangerous, to know people by their deeds, not by their stereotypes, as we have done since before the Roman period in this country.

It is not as if the first peoples of this land did not arrive from somewhere else at some point during human history after all!

Where a person is from, what they believe in terms of religion, or philosophy for that matter is not important. What is important is preparedness to be a part of our wider community as Britons. And that, in my humble opinion, discounts many people who have been part of our nations history, and many of those who are even running the bloody country, and they are not the people that many assume.

At the moment my nation is beset by shark companies, over charging my government, and under paying on their damned taxes, to the tune of billions each, and I am talking about in terms of paying for basic supplies to government. This thievery, at every level of government, supported by silence and inaction, and ineptitude on the part of successive governments, both Labour, Conservative, and to a lesser extent Liberal Democrat parties (although that bunch of turncoat bastards stole my vote to get into bed with the thrice damned Conservative Party).

I consider this fact, and the people responsible for those thefts, and the appeasements and back scratching to be a far greater insult to these isles, because unlike those who live here and respect the place enough to behave as if they care for it, the government and its corporate appendages have wrecked our economy in order to garner support for all manner of foreign policy madness. Much of the aforementioned madness revolves around the military industrial complex of course, but to actually examine the realities behind the topics which relate to these matters, would be a work requiring a thread of its own.

All I can say is that picking someone out, least of all someone you have clearly not read enough of to know the slightest thing about, is not appropriate to the conversation that you started. We are United, when we are allowed to be, at the most intrinsic level. It transcends all boundaries, if the intellect of the individual, and their respect for the best elements of our future as a nation are of a particular nature.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I wonder how americans would put up with a "tv tax" like the UK does...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I find it amusing as an Australian to see people from the US and UK argue over who lives in the second or third best country in the world .

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: blufo
I wonder how americans would put up with a "tv tax" like the UK does...

I am sure, once experienced, many Americans would love commercial-free TV and half decent programming.

Regards

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just found out you have mandatory vaccinations...we don't.
Land of the free indeed.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Intriguing thread title, but then I wandered in and to my dismay there was no banter about "here in the UK we have roundabouts, crofters cottages from the 1200's that are just lovely to visit and isn't it nice we speak the Queens English? Sheep peacefully wandering around being road hazards....."

In the US we have a few roundabouts but it confuses us and we go in a circle for a half an hour till we can escape! We have cattle wandering around out west with cattle guard grates to keep them in, no those aren't weird storm sewers out in the middle of nowhere!! We don't have too much of the historic buildings, but we have weird art on old Rt 66.....

This thread could have been SOOOO much more than the 5 pages of tripe I read. A real chance to celebrate the best of both countries and have a good time.

Oh well....

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Are roundabouts a great thing to enjoy?

Most of the crofter cottages still standing are in the remote Highlands, they are rather rare, especially from 1200, more likely to find building from then in cities.

There aren't many people speaking in RP anymore either, it would be nice if there were.

As for the sheep, they are mostly in Scotland, Wales, Yorkshire etc and are in fields, behind walls and fences.

Most of the UK isn't that quaint but there is plenty to wax lyrical about, as I am sure there is about most nations in the world, just this thread doesn't seem appropriate to do it on.

here in the UK we have roundabouts, crofters cottages from the 1200's that are just lovely to visit and isn't it nice we speak the Queens English? Sheep peacefully wandering around

edit on 8-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Sometimes you have to fight the system. Going along to get along is screwing it up. If you do nothing, it's easier for them to abuse the power we gave them. I'm not going to say what side I would choose out of the UK or the USA. I say we both need to get off our collective asses and make it better.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Well they ARE different than our highways!
Some family visited the UK as a family member had moved there and negotiating the roundabouts backwards....compared to the US side of the road was terrifying. My family member lives in the midlands and had sheep running around which was a delight to my Mother. My Sister was quite taken with the lack of what we would consider proper guardrails and signage at some sites she visited and the tour guide explained to her America is sue-happy, here if you fall no one cares.
Which cracked her up BTW!!!

I get that this thread could have gone 2 different ways, but for folks interested in the cultural differences everyone banging on about politics, well you can do that anywhere all day long.
Sometimes it's just nice to talk, ya know?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I enjoy talking, just this is ATS, and most of the time it's taken literally and seriously, there are too many on this site all too ready for gung ho criticism at every opportunity.

The quaintness of the UK can be cute and endearing but sometimes it is irritating, that lovely little village probably harbours all sorts of ''this is a local place'' type vibes that makes visiting them a tad unwelcoming, that said there are some friendly sorts that are very helpful, it just depends on where you choose to visit, I recommend avoiding local pub type places unless they are high quality establishments.

Sometimes it's just nice to talk, ya know?

<< 2  3  4   >>

join