It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal Shelter Poisons Bald Eagles With Euthanized Pets In FL Landfill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Poisoned Pets = Poisoned Bald Eagles

Wildlife officers were baffled two years ago when a bald eagle was found poisoned and dying at a Florida landfill.

Tests revealed the bird, which is protected under federal law, had been poisoned with phenobarbital, a drug commonly used by veterinarians to euthanize animals.

Two more bald eagles were found near death Feb. 2 at the Baseline Landfill in Marion County, where animal welfare officers said the birds are eating dead animals, reported the Ocala Post.

The Animis Foundation, a nonprofit animal rescue sanctuary, believes the Marion County Animal Shelter, which is located next to the landfill, has been dumping euthanized animals instead of cremating them – and the eagles are ingesting the poison.

The state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission turned over its handling of the investigation Thursday, when it first learned over the situation, to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service since the bald eagle is federally protected.

Florida law requires the remains of domestic animals to be disposed at least two feet below the surface of the ground and above the water table.

Since the shelter isn't commenting....I can imagine it goes something like this....

"Ummm, huge whoopsie! Our bad guys. How about we promise to never do it again and we all go our separate ways, mmmkay? Awesome!"

SMDH! If the law says to bury the animals, get off your lazy behind and BURY THE ANIMALS! For flick sake here! Don't be a shelter if you can't take the responsibility!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I bet the shelter owners are just as baffled as we are. Stuff like this is usually the result of one or two rogue or lazy employees.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

I bet the shelter owners are just as baffled as we are. Stuff like this is usually the result of one or two rogue or lazy employees.

Certainly quite possible, but there are also unscrupulous shelters out there who have been forced by the city to close their doors as well.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

Or it gets blamed on one or two scapegoats.

new topics

top topics

join