It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamer Raided by SWAT Team in Front of 60,000 Viewers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
gma.yahoo.com...

The incident was caught on the guy's webcam.

Not sure how to embed the video but it is at the link. I hope whoever gets caught gets in serious trouble.

ID
edit on 6-2-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ItalianDressing

I hope the person that did this goes to prison after a little swatting of their own. This is inexcusable.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
People are saying that after the swatting, the dude was seemed doing normal on the stream. But next thing you know he makes a youtube video with him sobbing/crying.

Either he's taking advantage of this or his feelings are real. He should not have put up his crying video either way because it'll encourage more people to do it.

But swatting really needs to stop. If it were a 1 time thing then yeah, that's quite an awesome prank (still punishable)! But now it's just getting out of hands

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Wow...over at ABC news I learned this:

The reality of the situation quickly emerged. The people had been targeted in a disturbing prank, something often done by video gamers to get SWAT teams racing to the homes of their opponents.

It’s becoming so common that Jordon Mathewson – the person victimized in Wednesday’s incident – told other players he knew exactly what was happening. Fellow players watched the incident unfold on Twitch, a site where anonymous spectators can watch games played in real-time.

ABC News

So...if I really want to beat someone at a video game, all I need to do is just call the cops on them?

Good lord what's happening to kids these days?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Is there no end to the misery some will inflict on others...

Technology may just be the death of us all.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Here is something too...think if the game is a shooting game and the cops come in and hear "shots fired" from the game but think its real and fire back....#ing idiots.

When computers first came out me and my buddy tried so hard to find a way to connect to each other....after more than 20 years of computer gaming and playing online I have to say the communities and people have destroyed it. I myself rarely play anything anymore without a guild or group of friends...its almost impossible to play with random people from how rude they are.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What ever happened to the police doing some fact checking?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Its the fact the gamers on streaming on the web that makes them targets. Cuz then the person who swatted them can watch it unfold live.

It's pretty irrisitable to do something like that with 70.000 people are watching.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

When I was in college I remember playing Unreal Tournament on a big, stinking 5.1 DTS system in my dorm room. I had it cranked way up. The RA for my floor came running down the hall thinking that the dorm was being shot up.

Needless to say, I always remembered never to turn my speakers up that loud ever again.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Police will show up to any and all bomb or terrorist threats. No exceptions.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
10 out of 10 visits from a SWAT team will end up ruining your day....

I think we're all clear on that.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

How exactly do you want them to investigate a call of an active shooter? Or a call saying "I just shot my dad, he's dead, think I'll shoot mom next because you're making me mad?"

Knock knock...yes, you called 911 saying you killed your parents, is everything okay?

Riiiight....

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

it could be shock sometimes it does not kick in until later .

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

THANK God the cops weren't "Twitchy" and shot the poor sap.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

True, especially since we don't know what the SWAT team were told was happening in the house.

Could of been tragic.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You've got to be kidding me. Those doors won't kick themselves down.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That's why I stopped streaming online. Streamed for a few months a game called League of Legends on Twitch. After hearing stories like this to some extent or another happening to other streamers I got uncomfortable doing it. I have a young son, a husband, and I never wanted to risk stupidity like this. People are such jerks to do this. Plus, being a female automatically drew some more than unpleasant viewers. The things people say and do online with no repercussions...

I had a lot of fun streaming but I never felt totally comfortable in regards to my safety while doing so. While there are a lot of super nice people in the online gaming community, there are some real immature pond scum who just enjoy messing with people's lives.

edit on 6-2-2015 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
well are cops not going to show up to a random bomb threat because they think it's a prank? Probably not. As the chance of it not being a prank and not showing up would be worse than them showing up at all.
edit on pm20000002815Fri, 06 Feb 2015 21:01:52 -0600 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
In the old days, they would send over a couple of cops to check things out and they would call in swat if they deemed the situation out of hand. Now we call in swat first? Pathetic.

That's the problem with police/911 training right there!

Police training anyone? Good lord!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

They can't play with their toys if they check facts. As someone was already so kind to address, where is the logic in verifying information before storming a persons home. They get a call of an active shooter or someone claiming they just shot their dad, just roll up, drive a tank through the front door, and pew pew pew.

It shouldn't be so easy to get a swat unit to attack a dwelling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join