It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I heard we can now use cell phones on airplanes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I did not catch the whole news excerpt on it so I am asking you whats up with that? Did they just change the rules on cell phone useage on planes or come up with a new cell phones that work on planes. If that is true then what about the ones that were used on 911. Even the 911 commission states in their report that some of those calls were made from the passengers cell phones. My point is that if they have just come up with a new cell phone for use on planes then that is a clear indication that the cell phone calls were not made from the 911 planes, which everyone has said was impossible anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Not yet! I found a number of stories...here's one

Excerpt:
Regulators eye revising rules to allow you to make, receive cellular calls on commercial flights.
December 9, 2004: 3:05 PM EST
By Chris Isidore, CNN/Money senior writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Federal regulators are set to begin discussions later this month on allowing the use of cell phones on commercial airline flights.

The Federal Communications Commission said that at its Dec. 15 meeting it will discuss possible revisions to rules prohibiting cell phone use on commercial flights. That's the first step of the process needed to lift the ban.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Goose,

It's not a question of making a new phone that will work on planes. They already do. (Mostly) It's more a question of changing the laws and Airline regulations to ALLOW passengers to use their phones.

Now if they do change the regulations, there may be some technical changes to allow better reception etc.. but regardless, they do work now, it's just not legal to use them.

-Cypher

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
One of the biggest technical change will be redesign of cell transmitters that handle calls at 30,000 ft. Also, I heard there is a bit of competition going on between Verizon, Sprint, etc. Verizon says it's better that only one company handle the traffic. And guess who that would be, in their opinion?

It's coming but will be some time before it is actually active.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Thanks jsobecky,

I knew there were problems with signal strength at altitude but didn't know the particulars.

IMHO: It probably would be better for one company to own the extra strength transmtters, as long as they are required by law to rent out bandwidth at reasonable rates to other carriers. Kind of like ATT did in the early days of long distance deregulation.

Anyways thanks again,

-Cypher

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Already a thread on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16-12-2004 by sensfan]

top topics

join