It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Jackrabbits Plague Fargo ND

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Fargo ND is being plagued by an unusually large number of unusually large jackrabbits.

www.outdoorhub.com...

“It’s been about three months of them,” Straabe told WDAY. “Right away I thought they were really cute and now they’re becoming a big nuisance and everyday I wake up and I open up the windows to see how many rabbits there are in my yard and there’s at least 40 to 50 everyday.”

!
anyone else having excessive hare issues?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs

It's like a scene straight out of one of the best movies of all time!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Probably get taken care of the same way the nutria rat and prairie dogs are soon.... A suppressed .22 is what is used in New Orleans, and .223 is used for most prairie dogs.

Good thing about this particular animal is that they taste yummy in stew as long as it's cooked right.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
A Bow and some blunt tips would make for a pot full of hassenpfefer in short order.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I like the humane way they use to "extract" prairie dogs. They take a converted street cleaning truck with suction pipes, and actually suck the little critters out of their tunnels.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I like the humane way they use to "extract" prairie dogs. They take a converted street cleaning truck with suction pipes, and actually suck the little critters out of their tunnels.

Ha! Now that is pretty funny. Trouble is, what do you do with them once you have collected them. Nobody wants a prairie dog.....they are just large rodents.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Better watch out or it will turn out like Rabbit Island...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

ahahahaha! that is aweomse. I love the little song in the background with the lyrics mirroring the video. really gave me a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Tells a lot about imbalance in nature when one of the most appreciated prays for predators is growing in this speed,
and lack of people that understand that this is a lot more tasty & healthy than supermarket meat.
I would have blown the dust of my Brno.22 nightvision suppressed rifle in a blink.
Thanks Vasa croe for reminding me on how i miss this stew. (will order it for tomorrow) yummy yum.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

That's really awesome, it looks like some sort of Avant-Garde art installation.

Fargo looks good in rabbits.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
im currently located in fargo. right in the heart of the city on one of the busiest roads in town. the large population of rabbits was one of the first things i noticed about this city when i moved here. in the summer theres always one in the yard. when i step outside at night usualy more like 5 or so. in winter though i dont see them much but i still see their fresh tracks in the snow every morning goin all over the neighborhood.

to people talking about shooting them. this isnt a farm.... this is fargo a major city. discharging firearms in city limits is illegal and rightfully so. there is no such thing as a safe back drop in the city. your shot WILL hit property here if not a person.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
that many in your yard and you could fill a freezer with a shotgun and rabbit is tastey

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just to clarify, the OP title says 'Large Jackrabbits'. I just want to make sure everyone realizes that jackrabbits are large by nature and I don't see anywhere that indicates the actual jackrabbits are larger than normal, just the "droves of them" being larger than normal. Maybe that is what you meant anyway.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I must say that this is probably our own fault, or at least partly a man made problem. Since we are always culling the numbers of their natural predators we are going to have to find a man made solution. Never had rabbit before but this sounds like a good reason for some entrepeneurial spirit to help them find their way to the dinner table and benefit the public as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sounds like the fault of your urban coyote population. What happened to them? Ours is thriving.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well now here is the problem. People move into areas of the wild, then they get rid of the natural predators in the area, that causes an increase in the prey kind of animals, that will only increase until more predators either approach or they take care of the problems.

Nature is in balance, one thing missing, then it causes more problems in the long run, and this is only the start. What I am shocked to not see in that area, are things like fences that would cause some deterence to the rabbits.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hawks, eagles and owls should be in buffet-mode in Fargo, are they helping at all? Rabbits have as much right as anyone to live where they live, and they are just taking advantage of not having coyotes and wolves around as they had been for, what, the last few hundred thousand or millions of years? People brought this kind of thing upon themselves, and now all they can do is feed their bunny neighbors and get along with them.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
Just to clarify, the OP title says 'Large Jackrabbits'. I just want to make sure everyone realizes that jackrabbits are large by nature and I don't see anywhere that indicates the actual jackrabbits are larger than normal, just the "droves of them" being larger than normal. Maybe that is what you meant anyway.

don't know if the rabbits themselves are exceptionally large, just quoting the article. 'size of small dogs'?
I'll defer to you as expert.

reminds me of a great line in re: Night of the Lepus; 'National Guard, not Elmer Fudd, saves the day.'

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I have recently been wondering if the jackrabbit is heavy enough to trip landmines.. Like around the Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam borders. They could make very effective minesweepers!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Uhoh run away

top topics

join