It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plato's Timaeus; the mystery of Atlantis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Well if you take in consideration that he had only passed the story on, then it could make sense...It is clear that it wasn`t his own invetion. He was never there as mentioned by some researchers. It is said here:

"But in addition to the gods whom you have mentioned, I would specially invoke Mnemosyne; for all the important part of what I have to tell is dependent on her favor, and if I can recollect and recite enough of what was said by the priests, and brought hither by Solon, I doubt not that I shall satisfy the requirements of this theatre. To that task, then, I will at once address myself."Let me begin by observing, first of all, that nine thousand was the sum of years which had elapsed since the war which was said to have taken place between all those who dwelt outside the Pillars of Heracles and those who dwelt within them: this war I am now to describe. Of the combatants on the one side the city of Athens was reported to have been the ruler, and to have directed the contest; the combatants on the other side were led by the kings of the islands of Atlantis, which, as I was saying, once had an extent greater than that of Libya and Asia; and, when afterward sunk by an earthquake, became an impassable barrier of mud to voyagers sailing from hence to the ocean.

And Mnemosyne was the goddess of rememberance for she was important in the times before writing so the stories were not lost in time back then...So yeah...you may be on to something...but I can`t get rid of the feeling it happened here on earth.

So according to you...city of Athens, Earth, would be led by ET ruler Zeus, king of Olympians, vs kings, the Titans, of islands of Atlantis(islands as other planets or stars) in battle. And sunk by an earthquake would mean the destruction of these planets that became uninhabitable and impassable for space voyagers? Sounds funny, but plausible at the same time
....simply we cannot prove or disprove anything...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

Thanks, i see you named yourself well.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
To me you come off as being a militant sheep.

Now that the name calling is out of the way i find your thought of the use of the word north beeing used may be wrong.

There is another possibility and that is the 4th diminsion.

Not long ago was the thought of flat earth and it could have been true somewhat if they were viewing life from the 2nd diminsion.

Taking that into account along with many times in the bible talk of descending and ascending to places on earth there could be a way of travel that is only known in 4d givin that 4d is not time like many believe but it may be a whole different way of percieving earth. If true then many current mysteries could be explained not by earth changing but by our perception changing.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Partially agree, as in we are all connected via quantum-force-fields and a quantum doesn't know time or space, so yeah. kind of. It really isn't that important what metaphors we use to describe it so: yeah. Keep writing maybe you find more.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There was a concept of 'up' before flying...

And are you suggesting that Atlantis is a metaphor for aliens? Cuz I think it's actually about a former advanced civilization which was destroyed by a comet...which science now essentially verifies a comet impact at that time, which had a significant effect on our planet.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What if Venus at one time was suitable for life and was inhabited by advanced beings? Any structures or evidence would by now probably be completely destroyed due to the harsh conditions and extreme temperatures the planet exhibits. It might have been millions if not hundreds of millions of years ago, but even if Venus was still too harsh way back then even, then it could have been easily terraformed by a highly advanced civilization, and thus... suitable for life. Perhaps Venus was another planet that the Atlanteans were once inhabitants of...

Just a thought

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nurelic

or it could be inhabited right now but we see it in a different light than where the life is.

Could life be hidden in frequencies?

Could beings looking at earth right now be seeing just a barren wasteland?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Also when talking about in which direction it is, he always only says "North", if we consider this poor fellow was a while before the idea of flying was born, he of course had no word for the direction up, so he gave it the same name as he would describe "up" on a map "north"

...I think that the appreciation of the idea of flying was born long before people started banging rocks together, unless you're assuming that Plato never saw a bird in his life. I think it's also fair to say that the Greeks did indeed had a concept of "up", probably invented the very first time someone realised that something was higher than them. Hesiod was writing about Pegasus a few hundred years before Plato was born and Euripides even wrote a play (prior to - or even contemporaneously to - Plato; there seems to be some disagreement over exact dates) that started with the character of Bellephon "flying" Pegasus into the theatre using a crane...

There may be other interesting points in what you say, but if the interpretation needs us to start from the idea that the Greeks had no concept of "flying" or "up", I think that is going to seriously undermine whatever follows. Not only for the inaccuracy of the idea, but... I'm not sure there's a diplomatic way of saying this, but... the fact that the idea was even seriously proposed.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Atlantis is under the north or south pole.

The poles shifted.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Just imagine: the different connected islands thing could be a symbol, for various planets in space, as Plato had no better word for space than the ocean...

Well, for a start, he had the word "khora", as used by his teacher Socrates to describe... err... the concept of space.

I'm assuming that, if you are studying Plato's Atlantis, you have been reading Timaeus - one of the works in which Plato discusses Atlantis. It's also one of the primary works of the ancient Greeks that dealt with things like... err... the concept of space.

You keep telling us what Plato couldn't possibly have known. Have you actually done any research whatsoever into this, or are you just making random stuff up?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think it is a interwoven tale of the lost city of Tartessos and the Thera/Santorini eruption.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There was interesting story or myth of Lemur and Atlantis and how they lived, that Lemur was actually on Mars, atlantis was on Earth and stories like that. It was very detailed but since it has no pictures, no documents, just MS Paint drawing so that you can imagine it better, I can't take it seriously.

Funny huh? If you want to watch a possible scenario of the past without taking any belief in it, just because it is very interesting I suggest watching it:

I've watched it a long time ago but this minute where they claim the mars face is smth built by them and well the whole video makes it sound like full of it, like super good fiction. But interesting one..
edit on 8-2-2015 by CollisioN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Also when talking about in which direction it is, he always only says "North", if we consider this poor fellow was a while before the idea of flying was born, he of course had no word for the direction up, so he gave it the same name as he would describe "up" on a map "north"

Here are your sources. Timaeus, Critias

I anxiously await your multiple quotes of Plato mentioning "North."

Harte
edit on 2/8/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

That`s actually a very good point. Perhaps there is something else going on in different dimension or higher dimension that vibrates on different frequency. Always liked this idea that Earth could actually be home for multiple civilizations at the same time, occupying the same space at the same time. If so, there surely are ways to cross over and like you said would explain a lot...

Only thing I would have to disagree is that what it might appear as 2D for ancients is our false interpretation of their view. They actually have known that we occupy 3D world, only difference was that they thought that everything else revolves around the world. The Greeks had very specific view. To them it was piece of land, earth which is surrounded by Okeanos, the massive river god, then up was the heavens that include all the celestial bodies(where Olympus and the Gods were). Earth and Sea coexisted but were different realms. And below Sea and Earth was the underworld. Sounds very 3D to me
I can only wonder what would they be saying, if they knew how to put themselves in the right perspective regarding how earth actually floats in our solar system in our galaxy.

As for Atlantis, I wouldn`t be suprised at all, if we one day discover that it existed once in different dimension that was hidden from us all this time, yet here all along...and yes I too believe that time is not a dimension.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Wow dude! You just reminded me of Glastonbury.
Wasn't there a story that there is a portal or something to another dimension, where Morgaine lived and Arthur retreaded to when he was injured?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Couldn't have said it better. There's some interesting points by several members in this thread but the idea that the Greeks didn't have a concept for "up" is cringeworthy at best and demolishes your credibility at worst.

Still, there's some interesting ideas floating around.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

Well, for a start, he had the word "khora", as used by his teacher Socrates to describe... err... the concept of space.

I'm assuming that, if you are studying Plato's Atlantis, you have been reading Timaeus - one of the works in which Plato discusses Atlantis. It's also one of the primary works of the ancient Greeks that dealt with things like... err... the concept of space.

I just enjoy mind-games to be honest. And I like to entertain all sorts of weird ideas.
So isn't it interesting it is indeed this very text where he introduces "space"?
A lead to / build up story maybe? Implying but not saying?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Wow dude! You just reminded me of Glastonbury.
Wasn't there a story that there is a portal or something to another dimension, where Morgaine lived and Arthur retreaded to when he was injured?

Yes, it was in the made for TV movie and was also a plot line in "Stargate Atlantis."

Unimpeachable sources. You can believe everything you see on TV.

Harte

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

No. I actually remembered that from a book, don't know anymore though, I read too much...
But if all you got is TV, no wonder you're so critical. It's fiction man: chillax
edit on -06:00America/ChicagoAmerica/ChicagopSundayAmerica/Chicago by Peeple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

a reply to: Harte

No. I actually remembered that from a book, don't know anymore though, I read too much...
But if all you got is TV, no wonder you're so critical. It's fiction man: chillax

As are the characters in Plato's two pertinent dialogues. In particular, the characters Critias and Timaeus, as well as the tale Plato spins about Solon.

Harte

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join