It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Plato's Timaeus; the mystery of Atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:04 AM
This is the introducion to the text, translated by Ignatius Donnelly

"Let me begin by observing, first of all, that nine thousand was the sum of years which had elapsed since the war which was said to have taken place between all those who dwelt outside the Pillars of Heracles and those who dwelt within them: this war I am now to describe.

What immediately hits you when you start to look for Atlantis is "the pillars of Heracles". Of all available heroes, it has to be the one overly-present in the greek mythology anyways. Mr.Everybody who has more travelling kilometres in his biography than a modern days Lufthansa pilot.
Then we get this

when afterward sunk by an earthquake, became an impassable barrier of mud to voyagers sailing from hence to the ocean.

earthquake=> ground-shaking event; mud=> water(symbolicI)+earth; hence the ocean(symbolicII)=> from a place far beyond our easy reach, so naturally I read: had to look for a new habitat, came from a place far away to Earth. Please note, with these old languages, it is all a lot simpler than we communicate today, all these "to, of, an/a, the" are interpretations not text given.

Many great deluges have taken place during the nine thousand years...there has never been any sediment of the earth flowing down from the mountains, as in other places, which is worth speaking of.

and please note the word: de-luges, as in the containing information, from the latin word lugere=> being sad, crying
and we're talking 9000years before +-400b.c.! and we're learning how Atlantis got destroyed by an asteroid. so naturally earth is a sexy planet, mostly craddled by it's surroundings and attributes.

Also when talking about in which direction it is, he always only says "North", if we consider this poor fellow was a while before the idea of flying was born, he of course had no word for the direction up, so he gave it the same name as he would describe "up" on a map "north"

Feel welcome to contribute. Even may call me nasty names, but i will continue digging...+
Oh right, why did I put this here in the UFO part? Because this: Face on Mars is my proposed solution.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
a reply to: Peeple

Interesting OP.

I am curious as to why you chose that Face on Mars thread as to why you believe this. If you read that whole thread you would see where hi-res pics were posted showing it was not a face at all and was actually a crater that looks nothing like a face in the detailed photos.

I do like your thoughts on this thread though....interesting.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:31 AM
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Well it doesn't have to be Mars, I am open for a lot, it is just what set me on fire, so to speak. Because stuff like this:

Such was the vast power which the god settled in the lost island of Atlantis; and this he afterward directed against our land on the following pretext, as traditions tell: For many generations, as long as the divine nature lasted in them, they were obedient to the laws, and well-affectioned toward the gods, who were their kinsmen; for they possessed true and in every way great spirits, practicing gentleness and wisdom in the various chances of life, and in their intercourse with one another.

with the background knowledge that god is here just a different way of saying "famous people", kindly proven by Agammemnon. And "traditions tell", it all just draws a pretty circle... "various chances of life" and where they flow together...chances=>coincidences, synchronisities...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:59 AM

No name calling here, just a thought:

I have, for some time, believed that as the Earth goes through cycles, so does intelligent human life. By that, I mean, I think a long time ago, we were as advanced-if not more so-technologically as we are now. Could it not be that the face on Mars was built by humans who had traveled to Mars? The same advanced society, Atlantis if you will, was destroyed by war brought on by the very issues we deal with today: social, economic and religious schisms. The resulting war threw everyone back to the "stone age", and we are still rebuilding to that technical level they had before they fell?

You hit two of my favorite topics....the face on Mars, and Atlantis...TY!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:04 AM
a reply to: theatreboy

Well I'll go and see what else I can find out, but this really isn't my area of expertise, so if you find something: new sources, pictures, thoughts, please share.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:11 AM

Anytime brother/sister, would love to learn and see more myself!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:22 AM
what if the intelligent life went to Agartha and is still there to this very day!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:50 PM
There were pillars of Herakles in Denmark. Dont forget that in legend Herakles travelled in every direction as far as he could and erected pillars, not just two. Atlantis was in Sweden, according to Olaf Rudbeck, who exhausted his fortune and wrote several books thousands of pages long collecting evidence. Read Atlantica eller Manheim, its rather intriguing.

Read the historical descriptions of the Temple of Uppsala and compare it to the Temple of Poseidon of Atlantis. The bull worship, blood rituals, sacred numbers, Althing meeting every few years, and so on

This summary of the first book is worth a read.

Compare your impassible barrier of "mud" with Pytheas description of the ocean around Thule (Norway), and note how in Norse mythology Midgard was surrounded by an impassible ocean. Considering how seafaring we were, "normal" water would not be impassible.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:55 PM

Just think if Agartha is real as Admiral Richard E Byrd states then the ancients may still be around.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:58 PM
a reply to: Ridhya
By the way, here is the thousand page pdf of the original 1677 printing of Atlantica Eller Manheim. Guarantee you'll change your mind.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 01:17 AM

You know I actually rode that storyline a while ago too. Would also be very possible, given their advantage in sea travelling and the "strange" nordic look they had to the mediterraneans...
But, and please excuse me, i got no source at hands for this, there was also said, Atlantis was rebuild on Earth, a copy city so to speak, has been founded after the original one got destroyed. Why not? Right? AtlantisII in Sweden and AtlantisI on Mars+x

Just imagine: the different connected islands thing could be a symbol, for various planets in space, as Plato had no better word for space than the ocean...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 04:54 AM
Just was wondering with all the satellite based field investigations in archeology, why are there no radarpictures of mars subsurface? Then i found sharad

I'd say this looks promising. Found it here: HiRISE
edit on -06:00America/ChicagoAmerica/ChicagopSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by Peeple because: added sthg productive

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:08 AM
Fun fact: Plato only ever talked about Atlantis as a plain old bronze age civilization, an idealized version of Athens that angered the Gods. No more, no less. Wtf that has to do with Mars I have no idea.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:38 AM
a reply to: merka

well if you would have read what others before you asked and contributed, you will find: no one says it was just and only Mars. Also Sweden and other civilisations, like think about the indian arians: blond people from a higher place. or the cloud-people in southamerica: living in roundhouses come from higher places...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:13 AM
Aryans were not blonde. They were mostly black haired and a few tribes were red haired [read Herodotus and Takitus]. They were also not from a physically "higher" place. The four varnas in order are Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, Sudra, one on top of the other hence a "higher" caste. Then there is the rare "twice-born" caste a Brahman ascetic could attain above them all.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 06:32 AM

well if that's the only mistake you find. no worries i can admit you are right.
Except one thing, the mythologies from which this higher caste comes from, finds also corelations in all other societies. Egyptian priests, greek gods, druids... What do they have in common? They have more psy-abilities, exercise in justice and oracled one way or another, wrote/spread the correspondent mystical texts...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:35 AM
Well I would have to say it was on earth allright. As for pillars of Heracles, only two locations come accross my mind. One is the Gibraltar from Mediterranean to Atlantic ocean, the other is on the way to the Black Sea also being mentioned in the Argonauts myth.

It could also be Scandinavia of course. One of the theories though is that the Scandinavians were the Hyperboreans but Plato would know the difference between Atlantis and the Hyperboreans so he would say so that Atlantis is the land of the Hyperboreans, but he didn`t. But the thing is no one can for sure say that the land of the Hyperboreans was in the region of Scandinavia so who knows

Another theory is that South America was Atlantis. The distance between Europe and South America couldn`t be measured back then so it is possible that Columbus wasn`t the first one to discover America although he did land way up north...

Even Kircher`s map of Atlantis is very similar to what South America looks like. He was 17th Century scholar though...

It is upside down...

Just imagine: the different connected islands thing could be a symbol, for various planets in space, as Plato had no better word for space than the ocean...

I have to disagree. Plato`s word would be Heavens. The Greeks believed in the 4 realms, Heavens, Sea, Earth and Underworld...and it was very clear to them which is which...

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:50 AM
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

That's true, but if someone would tell him how they travelled there by ship, he would think ocean, the other person maybe talks about flying, not sailing. Would be interesting to find out what the original wording was, but even then, he admitted he didn't actually invent the story, but was told about it? So it is always a bit muddy different authors and everybody contributes a bit, gets rid off a bit...
The fun stuff happens when you really focus on the shared contents and keep in mind how they just are metaphors describing an event, not the event:
so we got the pillars of heracles, and if that is not yelling phallus i don't know what is, the go-around guy, that was everywhere at the same time and his four pillars, poles... i hear: Sir Alien #alot. or to keep it civil: he maybe was the reason for the half beings depicted in for example Egypt....

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:29 AM

I don`t think he was referring to the poles...this is what is being said...

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which you call the Columns of Heracles: the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from the islands you might pass through the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbor, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a continent. Now, in the island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire, which had rule over the whole island and several others, as well as over parts of the continent; and, besides these, they subjected the parts of Libya within the Columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia.

Does that sound to you like poles? To me it sounds like a gateway to the island, unless it`s being some kind of stargate
But still it talks about the landmass although he probably had no idea how big Asia actually is...Further to the story it is clear it had to be close to the main continents of Europe and Africa so just west of Gibraltar would be a perfect spot to what is described but there is no evidence of any landmass in between...

Anyway, still way off from Mars like you are saying...but I won`t exclude the possibility. It could have lifted off like Tsoukalos is claiming...who knows

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:13 AM
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

See at least we can agree it is a pretty interpretation on what could have happened before the "story".
And just to prove what an awesome tool confirmation bias is:

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable;
this speaks for my formerly mentioned thinking,he was using Atlantic/ocean as synonym for: travelled far beyond our limitations

there was an island situated in front of the straits which you call the Columns of Heracles: the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from the islands you might pass through the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean;

read planets instead of stars, you get there was another civilisation "in front of the straits"=>milky way, and this is:

from the islands you might pass through the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean;

is a pretty way of saying "jumped of from the magnetic fields of Jupiter", because as you know, the only way to accelerate faster than the speed of life is maybe in magnetic-propulsion...

colum is still a phallus.
I made my point, didn't?
edit on -06:00America/ChicagoAmerica/ChicagopSaturdayAmerica/Chicago by Peeple because: bee

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>