It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Body Art YES/NO

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
I can understand indigenous tribal body art for meaning and such forth, but westeners not so.

I don't understand the concept that whenever a Western person gets a symbol inked on their skin that it must be devoid of meaning, but when living in some 'exotic' society suddenly it becomes acceptable and / or meaningful.

The concept that body art is devoid of meaning for Westerners is just as race based as the idea that people in 'exotic' locales have some deep spiritual connection to everything and live in a world where their body art means something special.

Why does it bother you? It's not like there is a law forcing you to get a certain percentage of ink work or piercings, or even put up with the body mod folks. So why care?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But I have never met anyone who has had either branding, or scarification.

In High School a few of us had rediscovered something called a 'smiley'.

Some genius somehow figured out if you heated a Bic lighter long enough, you could brand people with it and the 'branding' would look like a smiley face.

After being recipient of two I can say with confidence that this is not the case-if anything they look like horseshoes.But the were indeed a brand; The smell and sound as it happens is not pleasant, and 15 years later I can still see the marks, and to this day I will not recommend branding-The initial searing pain was not worth the weeks of itching and infection.

But at least they remind me of a simpler time.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Heh... yes... infection is a risk with the process, but there again, the same could be said of a tattoo. It is worth remembering that if a tattoo is not kept clean, and done with sterile equipment, the risk of infection is significant. This applies to scarification and branding as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

I can understand indigenous tribal body art for meaning and such forth, but westeners not so.

EnigmaAgent,

I would like to echo and add to Pinke's comments by saying that in fact Celtic tribes used to use woad tattoos to adorn their warriors and persons of import. Does not get too much more western than that! In the olde worlde so to speak, these tattoos would have been referring to a particular element of either the life of the individual, or a particular spiritual aspect.

In the modern times, people also use their tattoos to commemorate the lives of others, to remind them of events gone by, to express solidarity, or simply to express themselves. I personally have two, and they are both an expression of myself (because I did the original designs for them) and in the case of the one on my shoulder (A stain glass like black and red cross, with six smaller crosses at its foot end, wings coming out behind it and crossed swords behind it as well, and a skull in its centre) it has many meanings to me, is a reminder of many things which have shaped my life, and each of them is most relevant in a different situation.

Styles change, and some people get tattoos just because they can, but I think many people still get inked for a reason, and everyones reason is different.
edit on 6-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

I agree with you. To each his or her own. It's their body - None of my business.

I think some of it looks cool and some looks hideous. It's not for me, but it's not something I really care about. Someone else's expression is fine with me, as long as they hurt no one (but themselves).

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Disgusting! EEEEEW!!!!! Looking at some of the photos, I have to think that some of these folks can't be all there.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
I don't know, how do I seem to you? haha

There are tribes within tribes in Western society. It's quite awesome once you get used to it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

I don't understand the concept that whenever a Western person gets a symbol inked on their skin that it must be devoid of meaning, but when living in some 'exotic' society suddenly it becomes acceptable and / or meaningful.

I love symbolism

The art that people choose for themselves - that they wear on their own body - how can anyone not be moved by that?

Especially lately since it's become more accepted. Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve. If you want to know something about a person - just look at their tattoos
edit on 2/8/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I once had a run in with the performance artist known as The Enigma. It was at a low-key 24 hour cafe at 2am. The place was more or less deserted, and he and some friends decided to stop in for some coffee.

Blew my little mind. His level of commitment is amazing.

I have a few small personal tattoos and light stretching of the ears, but nothing that I can't cover up for work or formal events.

Anyone willing to take things to the next level for their art has my respect. I don't think I could do it.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I appreciate that people choose to do bizarre things to themselves for me to gawk at. I find it fascinating. I can only speculate about their reasons why they do it. There's a really strong taboo pushed in my family against things like tattoos and basically things that make you "unemployable" because shame on you if you don't work. Sometimes participating in that system seems so maddening though I wonder if the people who have opted out via face tattoos or other extreme mods might just have a better point than those of us still trying to keep on the rat race treadmill.

posted on Feb, 24 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Came across these pics earlier

The first has his eyes closed.

edit on 24-2-2015 by Ashirah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join