It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Light Bulb

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
More asides;

Other low tech power sources include: Thermocouple- two dissimilar metals welded together, that, when heated, will generate a voltage. Van De Graff Generator – a basic static electricity generator and a simple way to turn mechanical energy into electrical energy. Don’t let modern diagrams of VDG generators fool you, it’s an incredibly simple device.

Also, a low voltage power supply can charge a high a voltage capacitor for applications where high voltage is required.

More. Demographics. People sometimes forget that we measure world population today in the billions, whereas world population in ancient time was measured in the millions.

Where’s The Stuff!!

Thermocouple – two different types of metal twisted together… ancient jewelry or ancient power supply?

VDG generator – bit of amber, piece of cloth, a little wire, and a slave to rub it all together… good luck finding those basic elements intact buried in the ground somewhere.

Capacitor – two pieces of conductive material (metal) separated by space (or any one of a number of types of insulators) beaten into plough shares (turned into jewelry, tools, etc.)

Metal is too valuable to waste. So is pretty much everything else. About the only thing we find in any abundance in our ancient past is mud and clay. Everything else, including rock, is reused.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Moving here from the other thread ...

The people who are saying it can't be a light because it has a snake in it and leaves around the base are forgetting something very basic. Go to a store near you that sells lamps. They are "styled" in a number of different ways to look like all sorts of things. The egyptian sculptor could have just been depicting one of the "styles" in use at that time. CArrying that idea a liitle farther, who's to say that the egyptians hadn't decided that a filament does look like a snake to them, so they took it one step further and actually made them in that image. Same with the leaves at the base. If they thought the lamp somewhat resembled a flower, they could have easily decided to carry through with that design - just as you'll see when you visit the lamp store ...

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
the pictures are accompanied by hieroglyphs that state exactly what is being depicted
it does not say that it is a lightbulb
it says that it is a snake emerging from a lotus

the people who are saying it is not a lightbulb obviously know more about egyptian technology than those who think it is

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Of course. My point was that people shouldn't attempt to judge what a previous civilzation did or didn't do by today's standards - especially when we do exactly the same things with art and design ourselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
thast an oxymoron Centurion
you just said that we shouldn't judge the ancient egyptians by our standards because we are exactly the same as they are

I think it would have been better if you said that we shouldn't judge the egyptians by our technology because they didn't have it

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hathor-Temple in Dendera contains the image in question.

Lets have a look at what anagrams tell us about Hathor Temple.

Hathor Temple = There, Hot Lamp///There! Hot palm//Hot Ether lamp.

**Tor he the Lamp!!**

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Rotator]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
the temple in question dates from the greco roman period
so any lightbulbs they were using would have been used across the greek and roman worlds
and they weren't
so any silly anagrams don't count

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Silly anagrams to you marduk.

Hathor-Temple in Dendera///The adored inherent lamp.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is the one where they recreated the baghdad battery.

AlBeMeT

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
"The battery has been recreated and found to actually worked."

Postulating that there really was a working battery, (and I think it's safe to assume so), most of the articles I 've read say it was probably used as an electro-plating tool. Building a light bulb, including machining a hard metal, drawing a vacuum , etc. is a lot bigger step than putting vinegar and bronze in a jar and sealing it with pitch.

Besides, if there were a light bulb, why wasn't it ever recorded by anyone like Herodotus? And where are the wires that were used to transfer the electricity from a battery to a bulb? And why, if a light bulb was found, why weren't there wires and batteries found with it?

"...there is also a hieroglyph of an Egyptian lightbulb..."

Where? Share. Give us a link!

drawing a vacuum ? don't confuse things with facts

Its amazing all that some people think is needed to prove something is a link to a website.

I read the inca's (maybe maya) used psycho-active drugs to see in the dark, y'know with their pupils the size of marbles, they could actually see and have rituals.

Just an alternative to the whole battery and wires and bulb idea.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

baghdad battery

This is the one where they recreated the baghdad battery.

thats bunk as well
none of the jars found that are called the naghdad batteries by some had electrodes postive and negative external to the area which was believed to contain fruit juice

bit like having a battery surrounded by tape
you couldn't use it as a battery as there was no way for the electricty to get outside the Jar

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You debunkers all point to the writing....well I have a news flash for you.. It is common knowledge that people would rework ancient marvels that they didn't understand, to make it look like it was their work.

A prime example of this was the helicopter and those other things. They were re-worked from earlier works. It will all be explained soon enough.

Here is another news flash....the pictures portray an ancient healing device that worked with resonance, that our ancestors used...part of living for 900 years. It is being proven that the body has a specific resonance frequency and disease proteins, parasites, etc. have a specific range of resonance which is different than what the body resonates at.

Dr Royal Rife was just starting to figure this out, before the drug companies figured out what the implications of this would mean to them. Once they got a hold of it, we never saw the way things could have been. Now all we get is.....we can't cure this....we can't cure that.

If we can make computer chips, we certainly could controll biological infections. To say they can't is a lie folks. That Trillion $ industry doesn't want to find a cure....especially one that is so simple and could cure so much. Think about it people.

The battery could also make collodial silver. This inexpensive product, that we have forgotten about, can effect things like a prostrate infection that is not cured by antibiotics, herpes, chrones, sarchoidosis and other things that have no medical cure. It can be used as a topical application on infected cuts or can be taken internally. I have used it both ways, with surprisingly good results and no side effects what so ever. No bird flue for me, thanks.

Study the information that is out there. Try not to have such blind faith in what the drug companies are pointing to. What have they done to earn this blind faith? There are usually several ways to skin a cat...so to speak. The way of healing that the drug companies promote, doesn't work for all the infections(this is fact).

It strikes me as strange that people have so much faith in the drug companies and their products, when they don't work for so many illnesses that are around today. All this fantastic technology around, but they can't controll a simple biological infection. They can manufacture biological warfare, so why not the ability to stop it?

Do they want a cure that they can patent and profit from? If the answer is no, then I stand corrected.

It is much like the arguments in here....if it detracts from a persons stance on an issue, they will ignore the possibility, not bring it up,...even if it is right, and continue to promote their position.

The facts remain that the accepted theory is nothing more than theory.

The facts are that they don't really know what it was, so the accepted theory could be wrong. It is just a guess folks.

This is one of the best images showing this device working like a healing device bulb. If it was for healing, it decsribes what Dr Rife's work was studying.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
I think it would have been better if you said that we shouldn't judge the egyptians by our technology because they didn't have it

Well, no one has yet explained how the Egyptians did all the underground tomb paintings, since it is very dark down there. Oh sure, some will be quick to respond with, "they used torches", etc. Except - and this is a very big except - that torches would have left soot on the ceilings - and there is no soot there.

No soot!

Ancient Egyptian Pyramid interiors and tomb chambers are dark places. During construction of Ancient Egyptian Pyramids and tombs a source of light was needed so workers could see into the dark interiors. Current archeological theory states crude mirrors or oil lamps were used to illuminate Ancient Egyptian tomb chambers during construction

Ancient Egyptian tombs do not have accumulated soot on their roofs you’d expect if torches were used during construction. Some have suggested oil lamps with salt added to the oil kept the lamps from discharging soot. A more likely explanation of how the Ancient Egyptians lighted dark tomb chambers is a light source which has been lost to history.

To be honest, there were a few websites that claimed soot had been found in some Egyptian tombs, etc. There is, however, a very simple explanation for finding some soot - the torches of the tomb robbers that visited these sites many times over the intervening centuries.

Does anyone know if Edison ever visited Egypt early in his career?

[edit on 2/26/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
thats bunk as well
none of the jars found that are called the naghdad batteries by some had electrodes postive and negative external to the area which was believed to contain fruit juice

bit like having a battery surrounded by tape
you couldn't use it as a battery as there was no way for the electricty to get outside the Jar

wikipedia article - baghdad battery description

Uh, your info is wrong on this ...

The artifacts consist of ~130mm (~5 inch) tall terracotta jars (with a one and a half inch mouth) containing a copper cylinder made of a rolled-up copper sheet, which houses a single iron rod. At the top, the iron rod is isolated from the copper by asphalt plugs or stoppers, and both rod and cylinder fit snugly inside the opening of the jar which bulges outward towards the middle (reverse hourglass shape). The copper cylinder is not watertight, so when the jar was filled with a liquid, this would surround the iron rod as well. The artifact had been exposed to the weather and had suffered corrosion, although mild given the presence of an electrochemical couple. This has led some scholars to believe lemon juice, grape juice, or vinegar was used as an acidic agent to jumpstart the electrochemical reaction with the two metals.

I guess a little research wouldn't hurt before making such claims as you did above that this was "bunk". Or, if you have done the research, you might want to show it in your posts.

[edit on 2/26/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What are there now...3 theories?

1) Boat, lotus flower, snake....which could be some peoples idea of what the picture represents as seen by later civilisation as their reality.

2) Light bulb as seen by us today as a feasable description for people who understand electricity and lightbulbs.

3) A healing device as well as a light source with collodial silver as a by product, as seen by people with foresight or hindsight, whichever the case may be. Dendra as a place of healing, originally?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The artifacts consist of ~130mm (~5 inch) tall terracotta jars (with a one and a half inch mouth) containing a copper cylinder made of a rolled-up copper sheet, which houses a single iron rod. At the top, the iron rod is isolated from the copper by asphalt plugs or stoppers, and both rod and cylinder fit snugly inside the opening of the jar which bulges outward towards the middle (reverse hourglass shape). The copper cylinder is not watertight, so when the jar was filled with a liquid, this would surround the iron rod as well. The artifact had been exposed to the weather and had suffered corrosion, although mild given the presence of an electrochemical couple. This has led some scholars to believe lemon juice, grape juice, or vinegar was used as an acidic agent to jumpstart the electrochemical reaction with the two metals.

this proves my point nicely
I can only presume you don't know much about electricty
for a flow to be viable you need a positive and negative electrode to stick outside the jar
having one piece of iron sticking out the top wouldn't do it
see this is research
its called basic science
i might mention as well that there have been hundreds of similart jars found. only the one had the two pieces of metal in it. you think maybe the others were half made batteries or that someone made this up because of their present day knowledge of electric currents

Well, no one has yet explained how the Egyptians did all the underground tomb paintings, since it is very dark down there. Oh sure, some will be quick to respond with, "they used torches", etc. Except - and this is a very big except - that torches would have left soot on the ceilings - and there is no soot there

you want an explanation for the simplest things don't you
how about the fact that the Egyptians had been using oil lamps which don't leave soot for thousands of years ?
would that satisfy this question for you

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
A battery is not that hard to make. You just need two different metals, like copper and aluminum. You keep the two metals from touching. You could place both the metals into a container filled with acid or a diluted acid/water mix. This would become a battery "cell."

I have built cells before, using bleach as the acid, and measured voltage with a voltmeter.

Yes, the "Bagdad battery" might have produced electricity.

One of the metals would be the negative and the other metal would be the positive. You could simply tap the metals from the top, where they stick out of the jar.

The neat thing is, if you wanted to build a homemade battery, you could design it pretty much like the Bagdad battery, if you wanted to. As a matter of fact, I have seen modern homemade battery plans that are quite similar to the Bagdad battery design.

Troy

[edit on 26-2-2007 by cybertroy]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

One of the metals would be the negative and the other metal would be the positive. You could simply tap the metals from the top, where they stick out of the jar.

the two metals do not stick out the top of the jar
the iron rod does
but the copper tube doesnt
the top of the jar is sealed with pitch
only in reconstructions done by pseudohistorians do you see both metals sticking neatly out the top
are you suggesting the current ran by means of Osmosis ?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I don't know. I haven't seen one really up close. But, I swear they are designed a lot like a battery. We could design a working battery right now out of the same materials.

Troiy

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Once again, the whole evidence is not being given.

The panels have text in Egyptian hieroglyphics on them. I know the 'alternative histories' people like to pretend that it's not there, but it really is. The text says nothing about light bulbs... in fact the "snake stones" are made of gold, according to the text. Not microthin gold or gold glass (light wouldn't get out of either of those) but just plain old gold.

Some "light" reading on the topic:
www.catchpenny.org...

More "light" reading, including a wonderful analysis of the matter of batteries from an aspect I hadn't considered.
www.world-mysteries.com...

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join