It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans think Sun goes around Earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
not surprising considering 2 out of 3 Americans cant spell the word ''sun''

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The old school, while breeding the new school, is still responsible for everyone reading this display, to be possible. Perhaps, in retrospect, we go back and examine what worked.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
are these the same that fill youtube with endless debates about wheter a girl is fat or not (see thread from yesterday)?
i think so

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
More evidence that shows something is very wrong. . . . .

edit on 6-2-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

American people are product of government mandated Education Sytem

Sad to see US government damaging the minds of their own people so that they can't comprehend crimes of the government

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Charlie Chaplin enslaved Europe, and then the U.N emerged and they UNnazied the world forever.

That's the future folks.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: PizzaAnyday505
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

American people are product of government mandated Education Sytem

Sad to see US government damaging the minds of their own people so that they can't comprehend crimes of the government

Sad but true. . . .

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Evolution is a fact!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Why even throw that into the survey; Evolution is just a debatable theory. You could have just stuck to cold, hard - repeatable and observable facts like - is the Earth Round?

More than half said no to Evolution = Correct

I smell conspiracy here, putting Evolution in the survey alongside basic facts to push an agenda and discredit people that don't want Evolution shoved down their throat as an indisputable fact. Arghhhhh

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
If a person actually talks with various people out in the world this would be a given. Part is based on the school attitude of "I'll never use that in real life'". Politicians making major decisions about the school system does not help much either. Most of them seem to be a bit short in the smarts area.
edit on 2/6/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Does nobody realize that intelligence works on a bell curve? Statistically 50% of the population is below average intelligence. It isn't surprising that dumb ideas can be persuasive. Though I do blame a bit of this on dropping education standards.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: compressedFusion
That's a badly biased survey intended to make the US look good and higher than European countries. You could just a well have a "far east" group to eliminate the high South Korea results. You cannot group together EU countries in order to garner info about education due to the vastly different educational histories across Europe especially when you compare west European to east European.

Split up the EU into countries and the resuts will make the US look far worse......

P.S. you mentioned statistics, well you have fallen for the biggest con of all, lower the average by grouping unlike results !!!
edit on 6/2/2015 by yorkshirelad because: P.S.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Remember a couple weeks ago when the TV salespeople were discussing if the moon was a planet or a star? How can we expect better if reality shows and other things like "Say Yes to the Dress" are today's equivalent of the Hallmark Hall of Fame presentations.

When was the last time Shakespeare has been presented on a major network in prime time? Well, okay, probably the Hallmark Hall of Fame.

Shakespeare is a fictional character. He has nothing to do with reality on our planet or science.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I had no idea who either of those 2 people were from their photos...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Read it and weep folks, people are thinking the sun goes around the earth. . . .

Bwhahahahah how could people be so uneducated in 2015?

Every two years, the National Science Foundation conducts a survey as part of a report called Science and Engineering Indicators that's presented to the president and Congress. In the survey, they ask questions to get an idea of Americans' grasp on basic science. They just did it again, and the results weren't so good. More than 25% answered that the sun revolves around the Earth, less than half said yes to evolution, and only 39% said the universe began with the Big Bang.

And I bet the same don't believe in climate change.

And let me guess, most of these people are on the right half of the political sphere.

Before people jump on me for engaging in the false duality of the political sphere in America, I understand that as far as elections and actual policy.

But things like this are a different story.

-Former science teacher

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

Read it and weep folks, people are thinking the sun goes around the earth. . . .

Every two years, the National Science Foundation conducts a survey as part of a report called Science and Engineering Indicators that's presented to the president and Congress. In the survey, they ask questions to get an idea of Americans' grasp on basic science. They just did it again, and the results weren't so good. More than 25% answered that the sun revolves around the Earth, less than half said yes to evolution, and only 39% said the universe began with the Big Bang.

And let me guess, most of these people are on the right half of the political sphere.

Before people jump on me for engaging in the false duality of the political sphere in America, I understand that as far as elections and actual policy.

-Former science teacher

Something is really wrong, people shouldnt be this dense, seriously what can we do to fix this?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What is the incentive to learn anything these days when all you have to do is Google the answer when and if you need to know ?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

-Former science teacher

Something is really wrong, people shouldnt be this dense, seriously what can we do to fix this?

I agree. An the public awareness/education gap is a major block to progress, policy, you name it.

It's stuff like this that makes me reconsider going back into education.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
By definition, half of the people on this planet are dumber than average.
The median point is pretty low.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is actually legit:

www.theflatearthsociety.org...

Go in and read some of their theories.
Insanity is putting it lightly.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Some will call this post trolling, but I think if we did a poll you'd see I'm correct.

Most of those Americans, over 80% in my estimate, that think the Sun goes around the earth are Republicans. That's a big problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join