It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans think Sun goes around Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Jay smirks and people laugh as if they are stupid when those being questioned are actually the bait .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

Actually easy to prove. If you have a good pendulum, and keep it swinging, it will turn with the earth. You can then track it through a 24 hour cycle. The planes actually do not travel at the same rate east to west and west to east, but this is mainly due to prevailing winds. The same principles that allow a plane to land without running off the runway, or having it's wheels skid out from under it as it lands because the earth is turning can be seen if you are driving in a car and toss a ball up and down in your hand. It should, under your logic, fall backwards towards the back window and the out into traffic and beyond. But it doesn't, because of gravity elves and other scientific doodads. I'm the son of a sea cook.

edit on 5-2-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
It's a point of perspective. Why do we still say that the sun rises and sets? I doubt if many people can even show you correctly how the moon orbits around the earth. I doubt if many teachers even know it's path and the relation to the sun as we go around it.
edit on 5-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
There must be a way to remedy this situation, put everyone on the same page so to say. . . .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
the laughing is creating unacceptable terms .
a type of warmongering .
the theme is stupidity .
the subject is those that are laughing .
edit on 5-2-2015 by GEZUCHKRiCT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

But you have to stop and wonder: "Does it matter anymore?"
Those of that believe or that dwell in ignorance do not matter.
They do the grunt work (if any at all) and what they believe, know precisely or totally ignore learning about is of no importance. All of the basic stuff has been figured out by good minds and not much is left but the high-level math, physics, chemistry and biology stuff that the average mind cannot assimilate no matter how much "book learning" they are given.

I'm an authority on the inability to learn/retain important stuff. I'm ADD with a couple of other touches that prevents me from ever being a true analytical scientist or even a decent washing machine repairman. And the world--our part of it in the West anyway--is being populated with a constantly growing crowd of similar faulty minds. Who cares if Edison (supposedly) invented the light bulb? The small stuff is all already done by somewhat bright minds. What confronts us now is the immense void these days to discovering of the really big stuff such as "black matter," finding "zero-point energy." All of it mostly beyond normal human comprehension and will add little to improve our civilization's popular time-wasting activities anyway.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
1/4 people have an iq less than 90.

perspective, people.

iq rarity

this isn't about "Americans" it's about the statistical likelihood of deviance from norm in intellect.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a very clever tactic saying Americans are stupid and then asking people the questions Americans were labeled stupid by the answers . then the same answers are being laughed at as it seems by Americans .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
those asked the questions are from Russia and Ukraine at least . probably American citizens but having been born in Russia Ukraine and Africa at least creates a reaction . similar to a dirty bomb .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

maybe you need a visual.

edit on 5-2-2015 by occrest because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2015 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I don't think Americans are particularly stupid. I've lived in LA for 2 years and they didn't seem any stupider than Oz. Lots of very dim people in Oz some call them bogans. I think stupid people are all over the world in every country.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: xuenchen
Those 1 in 4 are all college graduates.

And I bet most are Democrats.

Yes, and they want to give these idiots more useless education on the taxpayer dime:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Are you suggesting liberal training forced on college students by the professors and paid for by we the people taxpayers in the form of Pell Grants takes the place of real education??

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
a reply to: Aleister

maybe you need a visual.

The fact people made a video of that is even more moronic than the talk show host interviewing people.

Next time you are in a car speeding down the road with the windows closed, adjust the rear view mirror onto yourself and see if your hair is standing out straight back over the seat pointing at the back window. When you ignore that this is not happening and still believe your garbage get back to us for more laughs.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Dude, everyone knows the planets circle Jupiter because it's the biggest. The sun just chills off to the side

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It's a point of perspective. Why do we still say that the sun rises and sets? I doubt if many people can even show you correctly how the moon orbits around the earth. I doubt if many teachers even know it's path and the relation to the sun as we go around it.

The same scrutiny and resolve goes for teachers, as much as students. A teacher, irregardless of the subject that they are teaching, that does not understand basic celestial mechanics, needs to go, or get re-educated. They are responsible for being able to answer and/or call up the proof for most of the basic principles that comprise our basic understanding of reality, and understanding fundamental specifics about our solar system, would be near top of the list, as far as I am concerned.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

Nope have to disagree It's dumb. See we have known for hundreds of years the earth revolves around the sun. As far back as the romans and even Greeks figured it out. So anyone who thinks the universe moves around the earth is an idiot.

I'll just say a quarter of the US are stupid but sadly isn't just the US it's everywhere. People don't like science and perfectly content with not learning it. You even see it here on ATS someone will say something they believe to be true clueless that I violates the laws of physics.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Half of Americans voted for Obama...twice. I am surprised it is only 1/4.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Read it and weep folks, people are thinking the sun goes around the earth. . . .

Bwhahahahah how could people be so uneducated in 2015?

The schools apparently no longer teach people that facts are based on testable evidence only.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Why is anyone surprised by this? About 3 out of 4 people in the US believe in an all knowing all powerful invisible being that has a personal interest in them.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

The Deliberate Dumbing-Down of America PDF

A Nazi Master plan coming to fruition, thanks Operation paperclip, Prescott Bush and relentless propaganda.

I guarantee the % is much higher of those Americans who go to the polls every 4 years absolutely convinced that their vote will make a difference.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join