It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans think Sun goes around Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I wish that I didn't, but I do. Education is just getting weaker and weaker as schools struggle to fill the void left by lazy parenting.

I'm usually the first to say how bad education is in the states and how ignorant and insulated it can be here. But this story I don't believe. People churn out "statistics" from their bottom
edit on 5-2-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Here is a link to the study.

National Science Foundation Survey Study

Here are the results by country/region for the question about the motion of the Earth and Sun:

Question: Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth? (Earth around Sun)

US: 74% (percent correct)
China: N/A
EU: 66%
India: 70%
Japan: N/A
Malaysia: 72%
Russia: N/A
South Korea: 86%

Results from a different question with a different trend by country/region:
Question:Electrons are smaller than atoms. (True).
US: 53%
China: 27%
EU: 46%
India: 30%
Japan: 32%
Malaysia: 33%
Russia: 44%
South Korea: 46%

Well there you have it. This data is old and they compare across years in the same table. I'm surprised they were able to present this data with a straight face. I know 100+ people. All of them know that the Earth revolves around the Sun (yes I have asked but not with a microphone and camera in front of their face). Has statistics failed us or is it something else?

edit on 5-2-2015 by compressedFusion because: added clarification and question at the end about statistics

edit on 5-2-2015 by compressedFusion because: changed position of "by country/region" so it referred to results

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
So what is the cure for this problem? Seriously what to do about this?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Those 1 in 4 are all college graduates.

And I bet most are Democrats.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I have spent 15 years as IT in K-12. The problem I see is useless regurgitation of useless information. Kids that are visionaries and can think for them self fail. Genius minds cause trouble and do not pass go. I my self was a victim of this system. Now a days I orchestrate large scale networks. I will never hire a person with a degree. A degree just means you didn't have the ability or gumption to do it your self. I have no place in my business for educated idiots. I bet 1 in 4 people scored high on the SAT. a reply to: Ksihkehe

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So, 1 in 4 Americans choose to believe their eyes, and not what they have been told, since childhood, to believe. Good on them. At least they aren't blindly trusting what is forced on them.

Observation of the sun and moon show that they are doing the same thing, crossing from east to west, yet we are told they do different things.

Repeat a lie often enough and long enough, people will believe it to be truth.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 5-2-2015 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I thought it was worth repeating.

a reply to: occrest

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

And in that first video at the 3min mark you have to listen to what the guy says about North and South Korea. Oh my word that is truly off the scale.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Do not educate these people , do you know how much beer i have won of people that believe the shadows on the moon are caused by the earth . Well enough to turn problem drinker .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest

"Believe their eyes"?

You know, there is a limit to that fallible Mantra...

In the case of the Sun revolving around the Earth...
That Mantra doesn't protect fools who do not understand that a single Earth day would last for 365 real days.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
So, 1 in 4 Americans choose to believe their eyes, and not what they have been told, since childhood, to believe. Good on them. At least they aren't blindly trusting what is forced on them.

Observation of the sun and moon show that they are doing the same thing, crossing from east to west, yet we are told they do different things.

Repeat a lie often enough and long enough, people will believe it to be truth.

The sun and the moon cross from east to west because the earth is turning. It turns once every 24 hours. That's what causes day, and then night. Night means the earth has turned enough so that the sun is on the other side of the earth. When dawn comes it means the earth has turned enough so that, where you are, the sun is again in the sky. Birds are dinosaurs. They really are.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
just the way TPTB like their sheeple, ignorant, docile and easily lead.
Do they not teach this basic stuff in schools anymore or are people just being graduated without learning anything?

I think that there is actually an effort to dumb down the school systems so that there is a bigger gap in intelligence between the elite and the masses, making the masses "easier" to control. My theory is that the elite can afford to send their kids to private schools, which give better education.

Every generation it seems like our school systems in the U.S. get worse... and a good education is a valuable thing to have. Knowledge is power. I always find myself wishing I had payed a bit more attention in this class or that class.
edit on 05pmThu, 05 Feb 2015 22:45:49 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Say it isn't so! PLEASE! (Props to Daryl Hall)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down."
--Charles Darwin, Origin of Species

i could . i could also prove it in writing . off topic though .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Those 1 in 4 are all college graduates.

And I bet most are Democrats.

Yes, and they want to give these idiots more useless education on the taxpayer dime:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5-2-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

They do teach it. We provide too many distractions today, and not enough discipline. I am not talking about punishment, but real scholastic discipline where you do not graduate unless you put in the time and effort. Kids are tough, and leadership has to be tougher.

(post by redhorse removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

At what speed does the earth turn? What of wind sheer? Do airline pilots have to make flight adjustments due to the speed of the earth turning? Why do east to west flights take as long as west to east? What of landing a plane on a runway that is perpendicular or at an angle to the 'direction of this rotation? Wouldn't their landing gear buckle and the plane be destroyed?

The only reason we 'know' that the earth spins is because someone told us so.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
most certainly actors and Jay probably doesn't know either .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join