It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth is Unspeakable; American Sniper unloads on 'American Sniper'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

This is the most refreshing thing I've read all day.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: cavtrooper7

No you see that's where you've misunderstood what I actually said...

I was highlighting the celebration of his killings by people who do not understand what it takes to take a life.

Are you celebrating his killings?

Or are you celebrating him putting his life on the line for his country?

Because the two are seperate issues. Even if there is a connection.

One is worth celebrating... The other, man whatever.

You said this:

Anyone celebrating Kyle and what he did...

Is either blindly patriotic...
Has never taken a life...
Is brainwashed...
Has never been to war...
A combination of the above...
Or is a sociopath.

Don't try to convince us that you weren't calling Kyle a sociopath.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about so attempting to weasel your way around this conversation by saying "that's not what I meant" isn't going to fly. You do that every time you get called out in a thread... you claim that others have "misunderstood" what you're saying. You either can't defend your opinions or you need to work on your communication skills if people are "misunderstanding" you so often.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
Honestly, if a person hasn't been there and done that they shouldn't be voicing opinion in judgement on anyone who has.

There is nothing glorious about taking another human life. Even in self defense or the defense of another it feels bad, one of the worse feelings you can have. The realization of what you have just done is sickening and you won't forget it.

let that sink in

Does it follow that one who hasn't committed mass murder shouldn't pass judgment on those who have?

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

RENDERING your opinion that of an outsider and less valuable.
WE DON'T have any sociopathic tendancies. DR. DON'T KNOW SQUAT.
Always with THE CRAZY labels.

Screaming in all caps isn't helping your case.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Honestly, if a person hasn't been there and done that they shouldn't be voicing opinion in judgement on anyone who has.

There is nothing glorious about taking another human life. Even in self defense or the defense of another it feels bad, one of the worse feelings you can have. The realization of what you have just done is sickening and you won't forget it.

let that sink in

I agree you can't judge a person in that situation (as in, given the same situation you wouldn't know what would you do), but when it's all over, there is a common ground to disagree on being proud of killing in combat. I haven't been there, so I don't judge the combat (I would do my job as well, I assume), but I hope I would be proud of killing, and my opinion of the war and his validity wouldn't be more valid than anyone else.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

You can handle it.
I have ENOUGH friends...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I suspect the majority of Americans who enjoy war are those not actually fighting it.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
Does it follow that one who hasn't committed mass murder shouldn't pass judgment on those who have?

no, it doesn't.
Those are two different scenarios that involve human death also ridiculous thing to say.
move along
edit on 2/6/2015 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

Some just wont ever get it though I suppose and thats why things like this happen.

Pink Floyd- Goodbye Blue Sky

Thanks to all the warmongers for ensuring future generations are one step closer to annihilation.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Brad, did You meet Mr. Hammer?

Nailed it!!!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The only people who should be held accountable for the atrocities of war are the leaders who make the decisions to send us to war and those who fund encourage war. But they never are, are they? Instead we take our frustrations and anger out on all the wrong people, the easier targets.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
Bless his heart. I can’t judge either this guy or Chris Kyle, but I definitely have more respect for this guy, Garett Reppenhagen. I’ve avoided commenting on this before, but I want to give this guy kudos for speaking his heart. He reminds me of my dad. Thanks for posting this.

My dad was a military man. Not only did he serve in the military, he was educated at military boarding schools. As he put it, he ate, slept and shat military. But he never ever talked about his service. He made it very clear that he went to war so that we would never have to know the horrors of war, and there would be no discussion about it. Period. Nor were we to ever ask anyone about their service, for the same reason.

What were those horrors of war? It was more than putting your own life in harm’s way to protect and defend others. When we send a man to war, we are also asking – expecting – him to kill, and therefore we are putting his soul in harm’s way as well. Once we do so, whatever he does is between him, his CO, and his God. If we have a problem with it, then it’s between us and their CO: The President and Congress who sent him and that we put in office. And that includes being damn sure that the operation is justified and worthy before we send our men into harm’s way.

That’s where we have failed. I will not judge Chris Kyle who is just a pawn in this sick sick war game. I blame those who sent him to war and broke his soul... and God only knows how many others.

“For what have you gained if you save your life but lose your soul?”

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
To me there are two distinct viewpoints when it comes to this movie and the sniper named Chris Kyle.

There are people, military and non-military, who see Kyle as a hero. As another poster on here stated, they celebrate "his skills" and they see him, and those like him, as a defender of their country, their way of life etc. To many who hold this view the more dead enemies the better, and a part of me agrees with this to be honest, when I was a kid my dad said to me "if you're going to do something do it right". If you are going to be a sniper in a war, be the best sniper you can be and do your job to the best of your abilities, that means taking down as many enemy combatants as you can.

The other viewpoint I see is one where people, military and non-military, question the legitimacy of this "war on terror" and the ethical and moral reasons for killing people who would otherwise be of no threat to that sniper's, or whoever's, country or way of life. This is a viewpoint not traditionally espoused by service men and women on the ground, but the times have changed. We all can see for ourselves how the war is a big lie, and tens of thousands of people are now dead that should be alive. This resonates with me more than applauding any skill set. Yes a man can do great things in war with a gun and his courage, but if that war was created through deceit and waged for profit and tyranny does that make his actions just? Or has he become the lethal tool for a corrupt regime to achieve it's greedy designs?

edit on 6-2-2015 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Of course he felt like that...

He was a human without Sociopathic tendencies...

Is brainwashed...
Has never been to war...
Or is a sociopath.

While I agree with some of this, you conveniently leave out some things, like...

Appreciates a Soldier protecting American lives while they're forced to fight over there...
Understands the skill associated with what he did...
Realizes that, even though he's not perfect, at least he got off his arse and did something in which he believed...
Wishes that other people in this world would be so willing to put their own life on the line for a greater good (even though I don't exactly agree with why we're over there)...

I could go on and on, but your half-assed psychological assessment of people who "celebrate" Chris Kyle is lacking in many regards.

My wife had to deploy--luckily I never did--but if it's a guy like Chris Kyle who took out a person that might have been a suicide bomber that would eventually have made it onto my wife's base, I may not celebrate the guy, but I appreciate and respect what he did that saved American Soldiers' lives.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

If people were only allowed opinions on things they have done most folks couldn't speak on more than a handful of subjects. Why do we always hear "if you weren't in combat you shouldn't judge"? Most of us haven't been President or played pro football but we sure hear a lot of opinions on both of those.

The 1st Amendment is great for 2 reasons: it allows intelligent thoughts to be spread and it allows each of us to show our ignorance. Both are valuable for the give and take of ideas.

I have a great deal of respect for snipers in general, it is a very demanding job requiring a diverse skill set. On the other hand shooting a person who has no idea you can even see them isn't exactly my idea of "combat" either but it does help win wars.

What worries me is why the big push for The American Sniper movie?
Are they trying to get kids gung ho over going to war again?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I celebrate every day what Chris Kyle, every other Sniper, SF team member and other GIs did.

They saved the lives of their fellow brothers and sisters.

Killing sucks. It is not a glamorous thing. But, it is something that needed/needs to be done on the battlefield.

Some people are good at it.

Do I cry for the lost lives of the enemy?? Not one single tear.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Of course he felt like that...

He was a human without Sociopathic tendencies...

Is brainwashed...
Has never been to war...
Or is a sociopath.

I'm out of here before this thread becomes a haven for the ritualistic & mentally impaired.

Good on the soldier in the OP for what he is highlighting.
that's just a crock of #. If you are trying to tell me as a war veteran I can't respect or admire another mans soldiering skills and ability or personal bravery without being any of the above then I'm telling you you're wrong.
edit on 2181642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Shouldn't voice were the key words there.
Not allowed to voice opinion is a different ballgame.

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
What worries me is why the big push for The American Sniper movie?
Are they trying to get kids gung ho over going to war again?

Absolutely, they need to feed the meat grinder
edit on 2/6/2015 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: typo king

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
CK was a sociopathic mass-murder (my opinion).
If you think anything about this man was something to admire and blindly worship, you should probably seek some trained help.
Want to admire someone? Want to blindly idolize someone? Taxpayers.
The one, true hero of the American system - Taxpayers. Without them, non of "this" would be possible.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

It's quite easy to misunderstand people on a forum...

However...

Seeing as I never said the words "Kyle is a sociopath" I take it this is not a misunderstanding but you clearly took offence because you feel as if you were one of those I'm talking about...

I'm not gona change my outlook just because you're frothing at the mouth at my "bogus opinion".

I guess that's subjective cod I think your opinion is bogus.

Oh well.

The world keeps turning.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join