It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Dorks Can Clam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Clamming season is in effect and this one appears to be a real good one even though there's plenty of stories about ocean life dying off. So, with the economy recovering and workers more confident to go out and look for work maybe if you live in the right region this could be a probable temp thing to get some more income for you. These sort of jobs are physically demanding and greatly affected by the weather so you gotta be in shape but the pay is great.

Here's some articles to educate you about that

www.jaunted.com...(Wait,+What+is+Razor+Clamming%3F)+

shellfishing.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

That's good news! You know, I'd love to have a job like that. It would be so much better than my desk jockey job that I have, although I'm sure a lot less pay. But I'd do it for love of being outside and working with my hands. Never did any clamming but crabbing was always one of my favorite things many many years ago.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Now here's some good manly work, and you don't have to take out huge student loans to learn this stuff.

Side note - The pics look photo shopped.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
hard work stomping looking for a squirt and digging rigorously while tossing sand between your legs like a dog .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: GEZUCHKRiCT

Sounds like good times for me!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: James1970

That's another reason I wish this was my job! I'm up to my eyeballs in student loan debt.

I think the top picture is a painting and the bottom one, I don't know, but I don't think it's supposed to be an actual picture of clamming dudes...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
When I was a young boy I would catch crod-ads in the river. They are nearly identical to shrimp but have a nasty flavor. I wouldn't ever recommend eating a crod-ad but they are fun to catch. Lift a rock under your feet where the current runs stronger than on the banks of the river and sometimes they won't move until you touch them.

I never clammed before but I've known people who have. I shelled shrimp on the docks before.

a reply to: wtbengineer

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Yeah, that's right, this would be a great idea for students in college who need some extra cash. You could go out 4 hours in the evening or 4 hours in the early morning.

a reply to: James1970

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Put your Crayfish in a bucket of clear, fresh water alive and let them clear out their guts. They can be truly tasty in the right hands.

Construction is another where millions of positions are available and nobody with the skills to take them. Four years as an apprentice and the pay goes as high as someone with a Masters Degree earns in some cases.

Young people need to get smart about these things and stop wasting time and money on professions that are unemployable. That stuff is for rich kids. Student loans should not even be made for some major's.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I've caught and eaten crayfish before in a creek in Franklin, WV. They were the biggest I've ever seen. We caught a whole bunch of them and threw them in a cooler until we were ready to cook em and then steamed those babies up. Man they were tasty!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Put your Crayfish in a bucket of clear, fresh water alive and let them clear out their guts. They can be truly tasty in the right hands.

I'd rather pass on the crayfish altogether and eat lobster instead.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The ones I found in the river bed were the size of shrimp.

originally posted by: wtbengineer

I've caught and eaten crayfish before in a creek in Franklin, WV. They were the biggest I've ever seen. We caught a whole bunch of them and threw them in a cooler until we were ready to cook em and then steamed those babies up. Man they were tasty!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I'd say the ones I caught down there were at least the size of the palm of my hand. I don't know, maybe 4 inches long or so. I guess some were more like 6. Biggest ones I'd ever seen.

new topics

top topics

join