It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we have an U.K General Election forum, please?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Is there any possibility that we can have an U.K General Election forum?

With the U.K General Election being called on the 7th May, it would be interesting to have discussions relating to this historic event.

Will the U.K be divided once more? Or will they get behind one particular party and give them the consensus to Govern for the next 5 years. Remember a 5 year term has been guaranteed, ratified in law, under this coalition.

I can't wait for the results to come in, it will be a fantastic opportunity to judge just how well the propaganda is being received.

I am going for a split decision, with Labour being the main party in a coalition with the SNP and Unionists. Or Tories and UKIP and Limp Dems. Maybe Monster Raving Loony party, Greens and Respect.

Anyway, would this be something the U.K members would like to see and contribute to? It could be a temporary thing, I wouldn't want it to still exist as a point of reference in four and a half years time.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It would be best avoided IMO, too many people believing in their 'party of choice' and spitting bile if you dare to criticize them or applaud a rival parties policies.

I normally steer clear of them. People that buy into it generally don't have the wits to see through it all.

The US political forums are just the same.
edit on 5-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I am all for it if we can ditch the pet forum. I love my pet, but I don't think this is the site. Attracts the PETA type I feel. Hell, might as well add a sellout pop star forum for the sheep. Awe, Look at my cat stare at the TV when ever Spears is singing her very one original.
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

edit on 5-2-2015 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

I am also not keen on a pet forum, nor NLBS, perhaps ATS has become a bit facebook for my liking.
edit on 5-2-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
well unless ukip win, it will be the same old dictatorship as usual with scant regard for what the people want or need .

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
well unless ukip win, it will be the same old dictatorship as usual with scant regard for what the people want or need .

Nice, do you think UKIP are our only hope?

Whoever gets in has to reshuffle the civil service and cut the umbilical cord of those that have controlled the masses for centuries.

I don't think any party can do that, so I will look closer to home and look at a candidate that has local issues at heart. Their constituents at the forefront of any votes they are casting on the behalf of us. Alas, I feel this is some kind of unachievable utopia.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I completely agree about NLBS. Spot on. I think US should be dropped from US Political form and just encumber all politics.
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
There is a "Regional politics" forum, which I think is supposed to be about non-American politics (it seems to have combined earlier forums for U.K. and Canada).
It runs through the Off-topic section for some reason, but it's there.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I love to see a forum for it too.

This site seems to US centric at times.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

There is a "Regional politics" forum, which I think is supposed to be about non-American politics (it seems to have combined earlier forums for U.K. and Canada).
It runs through the Off-topic section for some reason, but it's there.

Yes, in the Off-topic section.....where far fewer members visit and where subjects are deemed less important or more frivolous.

I understand that the majority of ATS members are American and that there probably isn't the need for a UK / European specific current affairs Forum but the fact the existing Forum remains hidden away in Off-topic shows the US weighted nature of ATS.....which is disappointing, especially considering ATS was founded by a Brit.

I wouldn't mind seeing a UK election Forum but I understand the reasons why it won't happen - but I'd like to see more prominence given to the existing 'Regional Politics' Forum.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea - from posts I've seen us brits are too disenfranchised to back parties any more (on here any way)

a reply to: tom.farnhill

Out of interest how would a party with no manifesto, made up of ex tory donors and MPs achieve that?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
There is a "Regional politics" forum,

I find the term "regional" quite patronizing and annoying. Like the whole world revolves around the USA....

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: crazyewok
I find the term "regional" quite patronizing and annoying. Like the whole world revolves around the USA....

This site is out of the USA, it's run by Americans, and most people here are from the USA, so most of the political discussions will be on US politics.

From what I remember, a UK Political forum was tried back in 2006 - see here - when we had three separate sections here. We had ATS, BTS, and PTS. There wasn't enough activity with a special UK forum to warrant it staying open so it came together with the rest of the regions in Regional Politics.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok
Come on fella, have you forgotten that our glorious Crown still owns the USA and we're just letting them think the world revolves around them...Sshh, they'll figure it out otherwise, lol

*On topic, a general politics section would seem better as I see it, I would support losing the national identity in the title thing as ATS is open to folk from all over the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion
well to be honest the thought of labour getting back in control scares the hell out me .
and yes you are correct a lot of tories have crossed over to ukip and as to how they would be if they got into power
no one can know until it happens .
but at the moment ukip seems to be the only party that are listening to what the public wants so i say give them a chance.

as to their manifesto , did any of the other parties honour their manifesto's ?.

i am in my twilight years now and i have seen the contempt for the English public increasing year by year by the governments.
all i say is give them a chance to prove they are worthy or not . at least i don't think they will be eu puppets like the rest .

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This site is out of the USA, it's run by Americans, and most people here are from the USA,....

Yet it was started by a Brit and it promotes itself as an international site.

.....so most of the political discussions will be on US politics.

I think most people recognise and acknowledge that.

From what I remember, a UK Political forum was tried back in 2006 - see here - when we had three separate sections here. We had ATS, BTS, and PTS.

Yes, you're quite correct.

There wasn't enough activity with a special UK forum to warrant it staying open so it came together with the rest of the regions in Regional Politics.

Again, quite correct.
That's not the issue for many of us....its the fact that 'Regional Politics' is hidden away in the 'Off-Topics' Forum - the very name of which suggests that its not really that important - where fewer members go.

I think the 'patronising' quite accurately sums up the attitude.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: crazyewok

This site is out of the USA, it's run by Americans, and most people here are from the USA, so most of the political discussions will be on US politics.

From what I remember, a UK Political forum was tried back in 2006 - see here - when we had three separate sections here. We had ATS, BTS, and PTS. There wasn't enough activity with a special UK forum to warrant it staying open so it came together with the rest of the regions in Regional Politics.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Lets put this in a more simple way shall we?

I find regional politics patronizing

Therefore a better less patronizing name would be "international" politics

Site in America etc ect run by "Americans" (though the site founder was abris) ect ect America this America that.

Still

It ia billed as a international forum

edit on 8-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

*Star*

You get it.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Great idea Cobaltic , the recent vote on Scottish devolution raised quite a few threads and some very heated debate on the boards s&F

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Is there not already a jokes forum?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join