It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending West Coast Port Lockout - Will the economy collapse?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Funny that if they do strike it will be at the beginning of Chinese New Year which usually causes a slow down of sorts for a couple of weeks.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Does it really?

Most of the container ships are isolated from the world for the most part and the majority of Chinese just want to make money, I can't really see things slowing down on the Chinese side, but what do I know?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Yes I think it begins Feb 18th. I used to work with a company that imported most of our internal parts for cellular phones from China and we always had a slowdown at Chinese New Year. It is kind of like Christmas in terms of holiday.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
Most of the container ships are isolated from the world for the most part and the majority of Chinese just want to make money, I can't really see things slowing down on the Chinese side, but what do I know?

The entire country stops. We tell our distribution partners that if they need any of our import items to have their order placed by this week otherwise they will not see anything until the end of March if they try to order during the holiday.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The entire country stops. We tell our distribution partners that if they need any of our import items to have their order placed by this week otherwise they will not see anything until the end of March if they try to order during the holiday.

The Chinese New Year is the longest public holiday in China

In 2015 most Chinese will be off work from Wednesday, February 18 (New Year's Eve) to Tuesday, February 24 (the 6th day of Chinese New Year).

Officially only the first three days of Chinese New Year (February 19–21, 2015) are statutory holiday. Chinese New Year's Eve and three more days are always added to give seven consecutive days of holiday. These four extra days are taken from weekends: the weekend closest to the statutory holiday is included, while the Sunday before (February 15, 2015) and the Saturday after (February 28, 2015) are worked.

Source: www.chinahighlights.com

It probably would be fair to assume that any economic damage from a coast-wide port lockout would be one sided. Six days is a long time when in a downward spiral.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Bizarre.

And here I was complaining about Christmas and everything being closed for a day(yeah I know it was grinch like but I had to wait five hours to get a wheel replaced).

I had no idea that they stop/slow down over there for that long.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Bizarre.

And here I was complaining about Christmas and everything being closed for a day(yeah I know it was grinch like but I had to wait five hours to get a wheel replaced).

I had no idea that they stop/slow down over there for that long.

Part of it is that the infrastructure is still not that great and it often takes days for a person to get to their home and then back. Many of them only get this holiday off and are at the factory towns the remainder of the year.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join