It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weapons You Can Legally Own In The UK!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And Americans think THEY get the run-around when trying to obtain a firearm.

Very enlightening. Thank you for the thoughtful and quite thorough walk through of the UK Firearm ownership process.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Wow that sucks for you guys.

All I have to do when I buy a gun is fill out the paperwork show my state i.d they make a call they say okay I pay and walk out with a gun in 30 min.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

All I have to do when I buy a gun is fill out the paperwork show my state i.d they make a call they say okay I pay and walk out with a gun in 30 min.

For the uninitiated, that call is to the FBI for a background check.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If you're really keen on owning a pistol, want to stay British and don't mind crap weather then get yourself over to N. Ireland. Pistols can still be bought on a Section 1 ticket. They are authorised for personal protection for ex-police, as well as for other high risk individuals who may be terrorist targets. They can also be bought for use in a gun club by private citizens like any other section 1 target rifle. We were excused the restrictions put on place in 1997 due to the Troubles and the continuing need for PPWs.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
And Americans think THEY get the run-around when trying to obtain a firearm.

Very enlightening. Thank you for the thoughtful and quite thorough walk through of the UK Firearm ownership process.

Thanks electric.

You know it's funny. Some people in the gun scene think I am a bit of a hypocrite as I get to go overseas to shoot, CCW and own guns yet advocate for only a partial restoration of Britain's gun rights.

With a step-by-step, license-by-license system the right to carry weapons in the UK could be achieved by 2030.

You start with the pepper-spray ban etc. Repeal that so it's no longer Section 5 prohibited (where it is currently) to being under a license.

This accomplishes two things. It generates money for the bean-counters via licensing and stops the liberal gun control brigade from having a collective heart-attack. On the other side those wanting protection in these dangerous times get a measure of protection.

From there you can move up to rubber trauma pistols (fires rubber / plastic bullets), to Black Powder pistols (low ammo capacity) to smokeless powder pistols and rifles (high ammo cap).

This step-by-step program would take about 1-2 generations for acceptance (if it even goes anywhere). License it like the Czech Republic does and there you have it!

People who say we should go to being like the USA system only have part of the puzzle solved. In my next video post I will explain why this is...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf
If you're really keen on owning a pistol, want to stay British and don't mind crap weather then get yourself over to N. Ireland. Pistols can still be bought on a Section 1 ticket. They are authorised for personal protection for ex-police, as well as for other high risk individuals who may be terrorist targets. They can also be bought for use in a gun club by private citizens like any other section 1 target rifle. We were excused the restrictions put on place in 1997 due to the Troubles and the continuing need for PPWs.

I believe the other reason NI was excused was because they were thrown a bone to vote on passing the law if they voted yes to the pistol ban for other places.

The Isle of Mann, Guernsey and Jersey you can still own pistols on Section 1 also. Ammo has to be stored at the range though AFAIK.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Sorry I had to..

ID

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
A ramble (poor quality audio due to vehicle roar!) about the past 120 odd years of Britain waltzing down the road of gun laws - gun rights...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
No offense OP but that's a lot of stuff time and money to go through just to own a rifle! No guns for poor people I guess.

Applicant must a full member of a shooting club for at least six months prior to application, visit and shoot at club on a regular basis (not free I assume). Clubs are required to inform the member’s Police Authority should members not shoot within any 12 month period, which should then trigger questions at the time of renewal.

Send in application which needs to also include 2 character references, several sighed photos, land details of shooting locations, list of all fire arms you desire to own and the amount of ammunition you want to store

Buy and install a police/home office approved gun safe AND separate ammunition cabinet

Limited choice on type and size of firearms you can own.

If you have drug or alcohol addictions (dui would probably qualify as an addiction) or a criminal record (again with the dui) no go for 5 years or more.

Schedule a doctors appointment bringing application and 2 passport pics.

MUST live in a zero to very low crime area with alarm systems, have countersignatories who:
must of known you for at least 2 years.
must also be an MP, Justice of the Peace, established civil servant, bank officer or person of similar standing.
(Cops, police employees or firearms dealers cannot act as countersignatories.)

(The countersignatory is signing Section D to declare that he/she knows of NO REASON WHY THE APPLICANT SHOULD NOT BE PERMITTED to possess a shot gun. So compared to an FAC application where you need to show 'reason for' on the application owning a weapon on the SGC is putting the onus on the police to state WHY YOU SHOULD NOT be permitted to own one.)

Go to doctors with necessary items.

After paying for all of the above, send an additional L50 in with application and wait, and wait.

Finally get a phone call by a police inspector and set up date a for an inspection of your home, neighborhood and personal interrogation. You must state say you ONLY want a gun for competition shooting or hunting and then again wait for rejection or approval.

After approval, go out and purchase gun. Then in 5 years, do it all over again, albeit a "lighter version".

all Variations and Renewals involve a ‘lighter’ version of the process.

Whew!!! Piece of cake and low cost too! /sarcasm. It would appear all of the above doesn't help with illegal gun possession.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

UK gun owners

Britain’s growing army of gun owners are much more sensible than their American counterparts. But can the same be said of our gun laws?

*snip*
(any person who has been sentenced to three years or more in prison is automatically banned for life from obtaining a firearms licence).

This state of affairs throws up problems in a number of different directions. For the law-abiding gun owner, the rules are needlessly pedantic. There have been several people who have had their guns confiscated because the police discovered that their wife, or in one case, their 80-year-old mother, knew where they kept the key to their gun cabinet.

But, on the other hand, the strict regulations have done nothing to stop the trade in illegal guns. The weapon Reeve used was, after all, a handgun, which no one has been allowed to own in this country since 1997 – not even the British Olympic pistol shooting team, which has to train in Switzerland.

And, a cruel irony this, gun crime has doubled since then. For complicated statistical reasons it is not easy to give exact figures, but very roughly there are around 10,000 firearms offences a year, around 40 of them involving people being killed – suicides as well as murders – with a further 2,000 or so injured. The majority of these occur in areas dominated by gang culture and involve illegal guns usually smuggled from Eastern Europe.

*snip*

Yet among more recent high-profile shootings, two have involved legally owned guns: a shotgun in Michael Atherton’s case (he was the man from Peterlee in Co Durham who shot dead three members of his family before turning the gun on himself, on New Year’s Day, 2012) and Derrick Bird with his .22 rifle.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

And that's bad.

I don't even understand how people think that is o.k.

No wonder the gun crimes so #ed up over there, lunatics can just stroll into a shop and buy a gun. I'm not even going to get into the whole gun debate - I even think the American people need guns, its gone that far now everybody needs them to protect their selves from the police and their neighbors kid hell bent on shooting up a school.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: n00bUK

And that's bad.

No wonder the gun crimes so #ed up over there, lunatics can just stroll into a shop and buy a gun. I'm not even going to get into the whole gun debate - I even think the American people need guns, its gone that far now everybody needs them to protect their selves from the police and their neighbors kid hell bent on shooting up a school.

What's bad about it? Do you even understand what he said?

I don't know why some people continue to be confused by this, I'll help by breaking it down.

"All I have to do when I buy a gun is fill out the paperwork show my state i.d they make a call they say okay I pay and walk out with a gun in 30 min."

So, upon entering a gun store, finding a firearm he wishes to purchase he must do the following things.

Fill out the paperwork.
This includes name, date of birth and other identification requirements as well as a questionnaire that determines if the person is eligible to purchase a weapon. Such questions include prior convictions or any other reason one is not legally allowed to own a firearm.

After that, he must provide a valid state id proving he is the person that is filling out the form.

Next they take that form and information and go and RUN A BACKGROUND CHECK THROUGH THE FBI. The FBI will provide the seller of the firearm with a confirmation or denial of the application.

If he fills the application out, provides a state id and PASSES THE FBI BACKGROUND CHECK and is AUTHORIZED BY THE GOVERNMENT to purchase the gun then yes, he is out in 30 minutes.

Also, in my state there is an extra step. I must provide a permit to purchase which was obtained through my local sheriffs office. This permit requires a application and a background check and then must be approved and signed by the local chief of police.

So no, lunatics can not just stroll in and out with weapons. The government already oversees the purchase process by checking and either denying or approving each individual gun sale.

What more would you, or those in general wishing for more control, like to happen?

edit on 5-2-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I was toying with the idea of getting a gun licence and buying myself a nice big Shoota. Not for target or hunting purposes but just to feel safe in my own home as i was feeling a bit insecure with all this Terrorism stuff going down.

After looking into the cost and the rigmarole you have to go through to get a licence i decided to scrap the idea and just put up some ISIS, Palestinian and al qaeda flags instead. I now have the local cops, MI5, MI6, a dozen or so Undercover SAS and Special Branch Watching my house 24/7...Never felt safer.

edit on 5-2-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Damnit solo I was drinking coffee when I read that. Now my nose hurts.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: n00bUK

And that's bad.

you know, alas, bad guys will always have guns. legal or illegal. and if they don't, they use cars or knives like in china.
gun ban doesn't attribute to safety.
it's intelligence, moral, empathy,.. of the people that does.
and those factors are controlled by whole other things than gun control.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WatchRider
So I happened to be reaading this article and thought it may be of interest to you

WILLIAM AND MARY LAW REVIEW

excerpt -

It is interesting to note that by 1920 the tide of public opinion in England had so changed as to practically eliminate the ownership of all weapons. 2 4 It is ironic to see that the very nation that was founded on the right to bear arms and limit the standing army had to beg the American people to ship them small arms during the early 1940's.

It then stands to reason that the right to bear arms rests on three solid English rights: the right of revolution; the right of group self-preservation; and, the right of self-defense. Without these rights there would be no reason for the bearing of arms. If there were no reason for bearing arms, then there would be no valid legal basis for the right to bear arms. These basic rights are a portion of the English common law and had evolved prior to the landing at Jamestown in 1607. Further, these basic rights applied to all Englishmen and not merely to those living in England and personal to England. They are the basis for the interpretation of the Constitution of the United States. 25 The Code of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as do many other state codes, provides that the common law of England is in full force and effect as it existed at the time of the reign of (fourth year) ofJames 1 (1607) and is not repealed by statute. 26

[url=http://scholarship.law.wm.edu...]

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Aren't all bows legal in the U.K. too?

They certainly are in Germany..puzzled as to why,though.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
Pretty sure most people in the UK know they can own guns.

Pretty sure most people in the UK do NOT WANT guns.

Exactly the point. Unfortunately there are people in the UK who use guns as penis extensions as much as they do in the US!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItalianDressing

Sorry I had to..

ID

Sorry, thass a bit long, innit?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
Aren't all bows legal in the U.K. too?

They certainly are in Germany..puzzled as to why,though.

Target only. 15 countries in Europe allow Bowhunting.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: blupblup
Pretty sure most people in the UK know they can own guns.

Pretty sure most people in the UK do NOT WANT guns.

Exactly the point. Unfortunately there are people in the UK who use guns as penis extensions as much as they do in the US!

My shotgun has a 28in barrel. Just sayin.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join