It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Vermont City Powered 100% by Renewable Energy!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lynxpilot
As a person in the power industry, I'd have to interject that Burlington may be using all 'green' energy, but it's at somebody's expense.

The article said they're making more electricity than they use. Am I missing something?
edit on 2/6/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ever since I first heard of the idea I've thought that solar panels in place of cement on streets will be the thing to really tip the entire grid to the solar side. Imagine entire highway and expressways made up of durable and non-breakable solar paneling, wired underneath (talk about expensive infrastructure spending!). The only problem might be the glare, and that can be fixed by the time the idea is up and running.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It would be nice to see the USA reallocate defense money to make this happen, all over the country, but I don't see it ever happening.

Energy lobbyist's would crush the idea in minutes, because then they would lose their grip to meter power, and fleece the masses.

Energy is free, it's the guys that are in between metering the energy that is the problem.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
SnF

No excuse or hope for a species that can't sustain itself. This is priority one and will involve everyone and everything, from the tech we use to the elimination of waste from our vocabulary. If you could talk to a centralized sentient expression of nature and mention the word waste, it would respond "huh?". We will close the loop through a change to our lifestyle and through low, and high, technology or we will become fossils and the rest of nature will sigh out of equal parts relief and sadness. Good for Vermont, but I wish we had more examples on here that empower the individual to make steps by him or herself so we can speed this up and simultaneously wrest the power out of the hands of centralized representation.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
While some folks are only focusing on the money aspect.. it's about a lot more than that. It's about not having to have a power source that when introduced to a natural disaster event they had not predicted, won't poison the surrounding land or even the world for thousands or 10s of thousands of years.

That's kind of a big deal.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well that's cool. If you have it, why not use it, even solar panels which I dont imagine would put out that much electricity for all I heard Vermont they dont get more snow then sun. Whats that saying? Use it or lose it.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Wonderful find. Thanks.

F&S&

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Good News!!!! ... running through the streets ... Good News!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just a little extra information on Burlingon's wood power plant. It's been in operation since 1981.
www.burlingtonelectric.com...

It states the wood for their fuel comes from within 60 miles of the plant.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join