It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Obama uses National Prayer Breakfast to defend Islam and criticize Christianity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:37 PM

originally posted by: hangedman13
I notice that the argument about Hitler being Christian is being touted as a wonderful example of modern Christianity. But by the same logic you ignorant fools should be using that same comparison with ISIS to Islam! But no, it's so easy to bash Christianity but like pulling teeth to criticize Islam. And yes I am calling out some of you as being ignorant. So used to western thinking that religion, at least our western ones are fodder to be mocked and ridiculed yet won't say a peep about the atrocities done in the name of other religions. As any looking into how most of the various flavors of Islam treat those who mock their religion should give you a clue as to what the thinking is. Get off your intellectual high horses and start really looking at how followers of Islam in their home turf deal with just the separate teachings of Islam. That is the difference between Islam and Christianity.

Perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, you yourself are overgeneralizing the actions of a group of about 5000-10000 people (ISIS) with the number of Muslims in the world (1.6 BILLION at last count)?

Do you think, you may have overlooked the very fact that you're trying to accuse "some" here of doing? Would that therefore make you "less than ignorant" in your eyes, or would it be "just as ignorant"?

In your own estimation, that is ...

PS, oh, and just another note, Islam IS a Western religion, as is Judaism. People of the Book, the Abrahamic Religions, etc. Ring any bells?

edit on 17Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:43:21 -060015p052015266 by Gryphon66 because: Couldn't help it.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:38 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

You are still dodging reality

Christians bought slaves - transported slaves - resold them

How much more obvious can you be in your denial of reality ketsuko?

Christians - were slavers

Christians - owned slaves

Are you really going to use: but, ummm - Johnny did it too... as some kind of weak excuse - or attempt at deflection?

edit on 2/5/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:41 PM
a reply to: Stormdancer777

hmmmm were the crusades a bad thing?

Does Jesus believe in war?

Satan is not a get out of jail free card

If you really mean to say that a holy war is a legitimate thing, then what you are admitting is that the Christians are no different from ISIS - they just wear a different jersey

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:46 PM
a reply to: neo96

The Nazi's were not christian's doing the lords work.

Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld were - and are

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:52 PM
a reply to: hangedman13

I think the point being made, at least on my part it was, that Hitler said he was a Christian & that Jesus was his Lord & Saviour...

Much like ISIS claim to be Muslim and fearing of Allah...

Not a chance to bash Christianity but in keeping with the premise of the thread, or at least in line with what Obama actually said, that all Religions have been used as a front for of a nefarious agenda.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:10 PM
The point being made, aside from those who would bash Mr. Obama regardless of what he actually says or doesn't say is:

There are Christians and Christian organizations extant in 2015 who are just as violent as ISIS or any other terrorist group.

That is the fact that many here simply cannot accept.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:24 PM
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I love you

You love him?

The enemy is not on our doorstep, the enemy is within, it's in our home and has been for a long time. It is high time we take the bull by its horns and root these traitors and instigators out.

What is it you think he's saying here Stormdancer? Sound at all familiar?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:56 PM
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Kinda sounds like Sen. McCarthy about communists, Hitler about Jews, PolPot, Chairman Mao, Idi Amin... I could go on and on.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:05 PM
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Reminds me very much of the East German Stasi:

By 1995 some 174,000 inoffizielle Mitarbeiter(IMs) Stasi informants had been identified, almost 2.5% of East Germany's population between the ages of 18 and 60. 10,000 IMs were under 18 years of age. From the volume of material destroyed in the final days of the regime the office of the Federal Commissioner for the Stasi Records (BStU) believes that there could have been as many as 500,000 informers. A former Stasi colonel who served in the counterintelligence directorate estimated that the figure could be as high as 2 million if occasional informants were included.

Source: Wiki article on Stasi.

"The enemy is here! Traitors are EVERYWHERE!"

"Kids, your parents, parents, your kids, mothers, your sons and daughters, husband your wife, wife your husband!"

"No one is safe; pass along the information for the good of us all."

*shivers again*

edit on 19Thu, 05 Feb 2015 19:06:56 -060015p072015266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:13 PM
a reply to: abe froman

Kinda sounds like Sen. McCarthy about communists, Hitler about Jews, PolPot, Chairman Mao, Idi Amin... I could go on and on.

Yeah - it really does

I think it's interesting (and troubling) that the right, and the Christian right - cannot understand that there's a difference between defending innocent Muslims and supporting extremists. They think using history to point out that there's plenty of blame to go around is Un-American

Un-American...and anti-Christian...

How many people stuck their necks out for those accused by McCarthy and his crew? How many stood up for the Jews? How many would rather just demonize anyone that doesn't support their current need for more war?

There are plenty of Christians and conservatives here at ATS that speak out against bigotry, against war - against hypocrisy and dishonesty. There are plenty outside of ATS too

How do we explain the difference?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:23 PM
a reply to: Gryphon66

You and me both

I know this is the mud-pit, but I honestly can't shake this whole Heart of Darkness vibe

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:26 PM

"These comments today are just the tip of an iceberg of pro-radical Islamist bias which runs through this entire Administration"

edit on 072828p://bThursday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:01 PM

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud
a reply to: infolurker

The Crusades were political as well as religious. At that time there would have been many good Christians who would not have wanted to be a party to that. President Obama is lumping past Christians together on that score as though they all acted as the Crusaders did.

It is like saying all Christians today have committed child abuse just because a few priests have. It is a bit clumsy and blanket criticism, but I get his point.

I know that most Muslim people would not do the terrible thing that IS do. I do not blanket criticise them as a religion.

The Crusaders did some very cruel things. The Inquisition was responsible for millions of murders; so many women were burned as witches, etc. I believe it was all political and was carried out for a specific purpose that had nothing to do with religion. What they did was to hide behind a mask of religion and respectability. How could they have followed Christ because He only preached love for one's enemy and to fight our battles and GD's with words only?

Millions?Read the statistics part.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:54 PM
Newt Gingrich is the greatest historian the guy knows? He needs to get out more.

Here's some other amazing quotes from Newt.

"Go get a job after you take a bath." —Newt Gingrich, speaking in November 2011 about Occupy Wall Street protesters

"It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in child laws which are truly stupid…These schools should get rid of unionized janitors, have one master janitor, pay local students to take care of the school." —Newt Gingrich on abolishing child labor laws

"There's no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate." -- Newt Gingrich, explaining in 2011 why he cheated on his first two wives. He carried on the first affair while his wife was suffering from cancer, and the second while he was orchestrating Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Nothing like family values, huh? Isn't it wonderful that all his ilk has to do is say "Jesus, I'm sorry" and all is made clean?

/absolutely disgusted
edit on 20Thu, 05 Feb 2015 20:58:37 -060015p082015266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:08 PM
Here's the transcript of the President's speech: Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast

I utterly DEFY anyone to read it, and quote the "pro-Islamist" ideology that Newt or anyone else is claiming is there.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:19 PM

originally posted by: works4dhs
Textsource? I mean are you aware of any Christian church/pastor/leader suggesting this (aside from the Westboro one-church-full-of-nuts?)
look at the world today and judge the tree by the fruit.

Yeah, I have actually. Let's see if this helps.

Christian Pastor Calls for Killing All Gay People

Megachurch Pastor says ‘gays must be put to death’

Gallaty explained why gays should be put to death:
God said that the sins of the people had infected the very land in which they live. So what happens to people who engage in this activity, this sexual immoral activity? Go to Leviticus 20, God gives us the punishment for engaging in these sins… ‘If a man sleeps with a man as with a woman, they have both committed a detestable thing. They must be put to death. And their blood is on their own hands.’

There are more than just these two also but I'll let you dig up the rest on your own. It will make a good learning experience for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:23 PM
a reply to: infolurker

And your point is?

That what he said was incorrect? It wasn't.

That he should not defend Islam or for that matter any other religion? And I find your 'quote' not defending Islam per se but reminding attendees that Christianity is not without it's own historical (and modern day) barbarism.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:38 PM
a reply to: Gryphon66

Parse words, dissect punctuation, play with transcripts all day long.

Perception trumps any "fact" in politics.

Especially in politics.

And the perception is, is that Obama compared ISIS with Catholicism. He used the Crusades and the Inquisition as examples.

The Crusades was due to a power vacuum in the Holy Lands left by the fall of the Roman Empire.

He might have gotten away with what he said, with little fanfare or issue, if he had just used the Spanish inquisition as an example.

But he didn't.

Argue facts all day long. If politics ran on "facts" then this would be a much better world. But it is run on perception.

Just my take and opinion on the subject. Agree, disagree, it doesn't really matter one way or another.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:57 PM
a reply to: beezzer

Quote from what the man said.

Demonstrate his Islamist agenda in his own words.

Short of that, you're merely pontificating.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:03 PM

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: beezzer

Quote from what the man said.

Demonstrate his Islamist agenda in his own words.

Short of that, you're merely pontificating.

Funny, how you perceive it that way.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>