It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama uses National Prayer Breakfast to defend Islam and criticize Christianity

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: mOjOm

But he had to reach back to the Crusades in order to draw his moral equivalence.

It also gave off the distinct stench of someone who felt like we were on the threshold of declaring another Crusade. Well he would know as he's the CIC!

You haven't read the speech. He also mentioned the Inquisition. There are also hundreds of other examples of Christian violence and terrorism that he could have mentioned, in fact, there's plenty going on right now today. But that wasn't his point. He wasn't trying to slam Christianity, he was making the point that EVERY religion falls short of its own ideals.

Read the speech.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Commander In Chief

Ketsuko hasn't read the speech.

I'd wager that none of these folks have.

Because it doesn't matter what Obama actually said.

Fact-free reality.

Bon soir, I'm out. Enjoy it.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I agree.

Wonderful, so you're bailing out and leaving me with this all alone huh?!?!? C ya....

I don't think I'll be here long either. It's just going in the same circles.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Tears Of Jihad

Honor Diaries

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Honor Diaries traces the work of nine women’s rights advocates who came together to engage in a discourse about gender inequality and honor-based violence. Combining in-depth interviews and round-table discussions with archival footage, the film examines human rights violations in honor-based societies, and the growing trend of honor crimes in Western societies.

youtu.be...

edit on 082828p://bSaturday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 082828p://bSaturday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

That's all very interesting, but again, what's your point???

I don't think anyone understands why you keep posting that information.
What point are you making???
Why is it important in this conversation???
Are you even taking this conversation seriously or are you just here to be a propagandist troll???

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
To Stormdancer777 - you probably don't care, but just thought you should know - your contributions to this thread are pretty much akin to telling all who read through this thread (no matter their views on this matter) that you're incapable of intelligent discussion on this matter and that by continually ignoring the replies to your posts by other members and repeatedly posting videos without any opinion of your own - you are essentially just trolling. In my opinion this sort of trollish behavior should be acted against by the ATS ownership with warnings and if necessary, bans. Again this has nothing to do with your views on the subject - just your inability for constructive/intelligent contribution to the website - or at least this thread.

As for my views on the topic - I find myself in agreement with pretty much everything 'mOjOm' and 'Gryphon66' have said. The only other point I might make is this:

I often see - this thread being no exception (neo96) - the argument made that Christians have "evolved" beyond the act of committing these sort of atrocities in the name of religion, and yet the Muslims continue to live in the stone age.

Well first of all I'd like to point out the obvious - as has already been pointed out numerous times - not all Christians have "evolved" beyond the act of committing atrocities in the name of their religion, only a small minority of Muslims actually commit atrocities in the name of their religion at all and not all Muslims live in the Middle East (where I assume the people making these ignorant arguments are referring to when they say "stone stage").

But back to the point, "why do Muslims (in the Middle East) continue to live in the stone age (way of thinking)?". Could the answer be so simple as: Because throughout recent history they are - literally and continually - bombed/forced back into the stone age? What if they were left alone to evolve beyond their "stone age way of thinking" just as the good Christian populations eventually did within their lands? The problem is obviously now more complicated - but only because we made it so - and continue to make it so.

The idea that they do the things they do just because of their religion needs to be eradicated from thought. No matter the religion, if the positions were reversed - there would likely be no difference other than the names.
edit on 7/2/15 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

What's your point? Your God is better, less violent and less immoral than their God?

Christianity has Islam beat on oppression and death by a long shot! They've had a head start and their talons are deeper into the flesh of the beast, claiming the larger portion of the lions share. Islam won't ever catch up with Christianity!

Your Christian reactions must be soooooooo out there, on this speech, because you're so happy that there's a new group of crazies on the field, to take the focus off your Christian crazies!

edit on 7-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Looks like a couple of nerves have been twinged.

Obama's writers are experts indeed.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But he had to reach back to the Crusades in order to draw his moral equivalence.

No, he didn't. He reached so far back out of courtesy for modern Christianity. I see though, that was in vain.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Looks like a couple of nerves have been twinged.

Obama's writers are experts indeed.

Yah, so are Rupert Murdoch's. And Rush's.

Read the speech.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: infolurker
news.yahoo.com...

“Unless we get on our high horse and think this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and the Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ,” Obama said. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ"

He hasn't lied though has he?.....hes 100% accurate

REALLY?

Comparing Jim Crow laws to ISIS ?

I'm so tired of the race baiting, apologist and white guilt BS. At no time in the history of this country did the population in general support genocide of ANYONE. That is a disgusting f*cking lie, and MILLIONS proved it with the LIFE. What an absolute kick in the teeth to the people who fought and died for others' freedom.

The country in fact was founded on the principals of being made equal in the eyes of god.

Furthermore since this meeting involved discussion of recent ISIS actions, can someone explain this to me:

Nelson Mandela burns hundreds of people alive = WORLD WIDE HERO

ISIS burns one man alive = Infinite SATAN

I don't condone either, but it really is an interesting double standard isn't it?

Maybe one day ISIS can catch the same Terrorist-to-hero train that Mandela jumped on....

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Comparing Jim Crow laws to ISIS ?

Can you please point out in the transcript of his speech where Obama makes that correlation?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I think you're confusing what is being said so let's see if we can make sense of this.

All Obama was saying in his speech and his use of examples were saying is that sometimes people make bad choices in their actions and base those decisions on incorrectly twisting the principles of religion into something they are not. That's all. It's not a direct comparison of Jim Crow Laws and ISIS.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, you yourself are overgeneralizing the actions of a group of about 5000-10000 people (ISIS) with the number of Muslims in the world (1.6 BILLION at last count)?

As in the same thing the prez did in his speech? And can we state that the majority of people living in western societies would be appalled if the same things were being done in their lands by their people? I can't say where you are from but here in the US there is a huge movement against capital punishment, which describes quite a few punishments in the ME. I also notice that you skipped my comparison, were Hitlers actions a reflection of all Christians? Yea the pope may have cozied up to Hitler but if you look into things you can find that their were Christians working against the Nazi's. And yes religion is one of the most tried and true methods of manipulating people since the beginning of society. As for generalizing Muslims you are falling back into the very type of person I was criticizing, Islam is not one catch-all religion. The differing branches will go after each other till a outside influence causes them to work against it. I haven't seen much on the baptists blowing up a catholic church have you? When we start getting crazy christians it tends to be the small little cult churches focused around a charasmatic priest or whatever he will call himself. Sound a little like Isis now don't it? A cult forming around a particular figure tapping into his followers frustration. See unlike Christianity where there is a actual orginization that exerts influence over a large part of the religion, Islam has very little of a overall hierarchy to it, at best a regional one.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Yeah. Except that no one, including the President, compared ISIS to Jim Crow ...

Read the fricking speech.

Violent people working in organized groups throughout history have used religion to excuse their actions. The President didn't single out Christians, and was, in fact, a lot nicer than I would have been, because you don't have to go all the way back to the Crusades and the Inquisition to find disgusting examples of violence, murder and mayhem being committed in the name of Jesus (if you consider "Christian" related to his name).

This country was founded on the US Constitution, which clearly, as Jefferson, Adams, Monroe and others said, erects a separation between Church and State. In fact, that separation was intended to keep RELIGIONS from taking over POLITICS has they had done across human history.

Wrapping onesself in the flag and carrying a cross does not excuse the acts of history; you may not like the realities of what happened after the Civil War, but denying it happened is simply asinine. (I'm also looking for the word "genocide" in the President's speech ... and I'm not finding it BECAUSE IT'S NOT THERE. Read the speech.)

From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States. Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black. The blacks lynched accounted for 72.7% of the people lynched. These numbers seem large, but it is known that not all of the lynchings were ever recorded. Out of the 4,743 people lynched only 1,297 white people were lynched. That is only 27.3%. Many of the whites lynched were lynched for helping the black or being anti lynching and even for domestic crimes.

Lynching Statistics

Who is race-baiting again? Prove that Nelson Mandela (who I don't think was a saint) burned anyone alive. And even so, how does that relate to Jim Crow or ISIS ... is it important because Mandela was African and Black? Who is race-baiting again?

The President's speech is lamenting violence based in religion. All violence, all religions.

Of course, the logical argument (which POTUS didn't make because he is a Christian) is to get rid of religion entirely ... but that is, of course, far too reasonable.

Read the speech.

edit on 6Sun, 08 Feb 2015 06:31:20 -060015p062015266 by Gryphon66 because: I give up

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Umm ... what?

I am stating that the actions of the group(s) called ISIS do not reflect the actions or beliefs of Islam's 1.3 billion followers. You seemed to be saying in your earlier post that there was no distinction; glad you kinda cleared that up.

HOWEVER ...

The people of Germany chose Hitler and the Nazis to lead them. Hitler (and the Nazis) claimed to be acting in Jesus name.

Did I say that Hitler represented ALL Christians? Quote it.

"Crazy Christians" are not limited to cults. Check the references in this thread for a start, or, merely type in "Christian Terrorism/Christian Atrocities" into Google.

Also, uh, actually-factually there are far more sects and denominations within Christianity than in Islam ... 21 - 42 THOUSAND different groups. (Source

Your points seem muddled at best ... but, no, all Christians didn't go on the Crusades, but they were called for by both of the main Christian Churches at the time. (Remember, the Eastern Church asked for the Western Church's help).

No, all Muslims do not support ISIS.

I didn't say either of those things, and neither did President Obama.
edit on 6Sun, 08 Feb 2015 06:28:15 -060015p062015266 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Just give it up man.
Thanks for your efforts, really, but bigots, be they christian, muslim or otherwise are just impervious to logic and facts.
There is no way you're going to manage to change their minds.
That would presuppose that they actually *have* minds in the first place.
They have allready made it abundantly clear that any kind of reasoning is too much of a challenge for them, especially when it steps outside their simple and manicheistic worldview.
My advice : let it go. You're flogging a (brain)dead horse.

edit on 8-2-2015 by Ismail because: he can't spell

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
How can groups like ISIS and the same many others out there be hijacking religion when they are only doing what the religious books tell them to do and follow in the same footsteps as their Prophet.

Obama's Saudi masters will be well pleased at these comments. As for the Crusades, they bought Europe out of the dark ages and have a guess as to why those dark ages commenced in the first place...that's right it was because Islamic invasions took over pretty much the former Roman Empire territories and cut off trade from the East isolating most of Europe.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Judge Jeanine says.....

“You know I’ve been watching this president for six years. And after this week’s prayer breakfast, it all came together. It finally made sense to me: Barack Obama is comfortable with extremism. He’s okay with it. He’s nonplussed. It’s part of what happens.

It explains why he goes golfing within minutes of announcing the beheading of an American. It explains why he didn’t join 40 world leaders in France to denounce ‘Islamic terrorism.’

It explains why he doesn’t attend certain funerals. Why he does nothing about the wholesale slaughter of Christians in the Middle East. Or the raping, beheading, crucifying and burying alive of children there. Why he doesn’t get excited about people who cross his ‘red lines.’ And it explains why he so easily pivots to healthcare after announcing the burning alive of a coalition pilot.”

Judge Jeanine Has Been Mystified by Obama’s Behavior for 6 Years. Suddenly, It All Makes Sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join