It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Janis Joplin Reincarnated!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Ok. Maybe not. But...

I enjoy watching up and coming musicians and singers. One of the shows I use to do that is the rigged X Factor, Got Talent, etc. Found this gem on youtube a while back. Melanie Masson auditioned on X Factor UK in 2012. And WOW! What an audition. I don't think Even Janis could have held that long, high note...

The full studio version for those interested...

X Factor gets some really good talent. Too bad they're like every other "reality" show. Fixed from day one.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm not that impressed honestly, all she really did was scream into a microphone and stutter words and put a little melody in them. Not that hard to do if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
And here`s Bob Marley...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Have you ever heard Janis Joplin? Send me the track when you get it done. Because if you can do what she does, you need to be in the studio.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien
The Voice. Another show I check out on youtube. That guy sounds good. He got those judges turned around quickly.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Janis Joplin was a great singer but this one song by this one woman doesn't impress me that much. Screaming into a microphone in a slightly melodic way isn't that impressive. I'd have to see some of this woman's other work to make a judgement but based on this video I'm not THAT impressed so far. I could be wrong and she could end up blowing me out of the water though.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Melanie Masson on youtube.

Obviously, the judges and the crowd disagree with you. For the genre she is singing in, what she does with the song is incredible. That's how the song was meant to be sung. She isn't singing Whitney Houston or Nina Simone. She's singing Joplin, and does an outstanding job of it. At the same time, I would not hand this woman a Mariah Carey song, and expect her to do it justice. It's out of her genre. Neither would I expect Mariah to sing a Joplin song.

I guess one has to be a musician, or have been around musicians for most of their life to understand. Of course, there's also personal taste. Maybe she's just not for you. There are popular musicians out there I'm not so impressed with myself. That's why music has so many artists and genres. There's something for everyone.
edit on 2/5/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

One of those judges went to Eurovision coming in second because losing to a beard and some make up.

And one of the others is going this year with this song, but won`t end up that high.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I am a musician and I've been around music my whole life , she's just not that good.

To me this plays as a soulless sanitized version of the song, her use of certain vocal techniques seems forced and more like a caricature of Joplin than a personal rendition.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I am a musician and I've been around music my whole life , she's just not that good.

To me this plays as a soulless sanitized version of the song, her use of certain vocal techniques seems forced and more like a caricature of Joplin than a personal rendition.

I never said she was polished. She needs work like any amateur, but other musicians I've sent this too can certainly appreciate what she has naturally, as do I. To each their own, I guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Sounds like she needs a few years of cigarettes and southern comfort to come close to Janis.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

Don't forget the "vocal enhancement" brought on by frequent vomiting due to her massive heroin use.

On a side note I encourage you to read her biography, what a horrible nasty selfish person she was.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

K

For a 44 year old this gal can belt it out impressively. She has a fine set of pipes.
But hold a candle to Janis? Not so much.
Listening and watching this woman I could see the woman singing the song. When Janis sang this song there was no separation between the song and her. She was the song. She was every song she ever sang. Total immersion.

It seemed to me that this woman sang from her upper chest. Janis sang from her toes. This woman had nowhere near the control of her vocal cords as did Janis. Janis had control over her throat like no other. The way she squeezed some of her notes, up through her throat, up through her nasal cavities so that they vibrated in the bones of her head and poured out of her mouth as music, her pores as sweat and her eyes as tears.

Oh no K, no reincarnation here. Janis died about 44 years ago so timewise maybe. But to have been Janis and reincarnate as a lesser singer? Nah,

But you know on second thought, Janis really wanted most to be loved. She never had a lasting relationship that she craved so much. Never had the family she dreamed of. So, yeah, maybe so. Maybe she has reincarnated as this woman who has in many ways had the life she really wanted.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire
Give this woman Joplin's singing experience, and she would be a great singer. She has something to work with. It just needs honing. That said, the one thing you can't give a singer is, heartache. Only life can do that, and that's what made Janis a legendary artist.

What abe said above is, unfortunately true. Janis wasn't a particularly nice person.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
And here`s Bob Marley...

Dude! I got goosebumps from that. Spot on!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Yeah he`s really good.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Freddie Mercury ladies and gentlemen...kinda

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

She has Robert Plants hair!

And she rips!

Klass this thread just cheered me up in a big way man!

Thank you so much!
edit on Rpm20515v43201500000039 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Don't forget the "vocal enhancement" brought on by frequent vomiting due to her massive heroin use.

On a side note I encourage you to read her biography, what a horrible nasty selfish person she was.

But that's part of her charm.
I feel her pain.

But I agree with your assessment of the imitator.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If you like Janis check out Dana Fuchs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join