It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul says Jesus is the Devil in Acts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
When they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they came upon a certain magician, a Jewish false prophet named Bar-Jesus. He was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence, who summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. But Elymas the magician (for that is the meaning of his name) opposed them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. But Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked intently at him and said, “You son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, full of all deceit and villainy, will you not stop making crooked the straight paths of the Lord? [ESV] Acts 13:6-10

1 The surname of Jesus' son was Bar-Jesus which means Son of Jesus in Aramaic, the language Jesus spoke

2 The Jesus of Islam is the Jesus of Barnabas

3 The Jesus of the Vatican is the Jesus of Saul Paulus

4 When Saul Paulus meets the Son of Jesus, Saul Paulus calls him «Son of the Devil»
edit on 5-2-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: .....

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Congratulations, you have won the "The Most Misleading Title of the Day", award.

Seriously, Man.
edit on 2/5/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Ummmm... Sounds like they called a magician with a similar sounding name out.

Since Jesus was already gone and this guy was there and not Jesus Christ, then I assume they are referencing this magician.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't think this Bar-Jesus is the actual son of Jesus, only someone who is the son of a man named Jesus. The name associations in this passage ARE interesting though, I personally think Luke left clues within his work that point toward Christianity being taken over by Rome and Paul with their faith-based salvation doctrine.

Acts is pure historical fiction, there is barely a shred of actual history in it.
edit on 2/5/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Misleading? To help you here, I'll strip the story for all those sidetracks that confuse you:

Saul, who was also called Paul said (to Bar-Jesus which means literally «the Son of Jesus») “You son of the devil...”

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Thanks, but I don't need help understanding. Your passage speaks for itself.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I don't think this Bar-Jesus is the actual son of Jesus,

No but his name means 'Son of Jesus', and Saul Paulus translates it 'Son of the Devil'.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So he basically calls out a false prophet for what he is ... someone claiming to be what he's not, and you want to literalize it by claiming that the false prophet is what he claims - the son of Jesus so you can claim Paul called Jesus the Devil's son?

That is some legalism right there.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

Thanks, but I don't need help understanding. Your passage speaks for itself.

Indeed it does. Saul is the Devil. Eli Magus Bar-Jesus was the son of Jesus, he was indeed a magician and one powerful enough to match the demons of Beelzebub with the proper deceit and falseness.

To remind you all of Jesus' words:

Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. [ESV] Matthew 10:16

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Acts is pure historical fiction, there is barely a shred of actual history in it.

& that's different from the rest of the bible how, exactly?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Yeshua / Yehoshua was a popular name back then, it is the hebrew word for the name Joshua. so you have no way of knowing which Joshua the guy was the son of.

ETA: just a quick wiki,

The English name Joshua is a rendering of the Hebrew language "Yehoshua", meaning "Yahweh is salvation".[6][7] The vocalization of the second name component may be read as Hoshea - the name used in the Torah before Moses added the divine name (Numbers 13:16).[8]

"Jesus" is the English of the Greek transliteration of "Yehoshua" via Latin. In the Septuagint, all instances of the word "Yehoshua" are rendered as "Ἰησοῦς" (Iēsoūs), the closest Greek pronunciation of the Aramaic: ܝܫܘܥ‎ Isho (Hebrew word #3443 in Strong's Concordance, Nehemiah 8:17).[9][10] Thus in Greek Joshua is called "Jesus son of Naue" (τοῦ Ναυή) to differentiate him from Jesus Christ. This is also true in the Slavic languages following the Eastern Orthodox tradition (e.g. "Иисус Навин" (Iisús Navín) in Russian).
Name

edit on 5-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

It doesn't change the fact that Saul Paulus translates 'Son of Jesus' into 'Son of Satan'.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

& that's different from the rest of the bible how, exactly?

Not in any way!!!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Misleading? To help you here, I'll strip the story for all those sidetracks that confuse you:

Saul, who was also called Paul said (to Bar-Jesus which means literally «the Son of Jesus») “You son of the devil...”

You do know that there were other people in the region that had the same name Yahshua right?

Because someone has the same first or last name as you doesn't mean you are related.
edit on 5-2-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

how can you say that, he didn't say Bar- Jesus the Christ, he said Bar-Jesus, which as i said was a common name. you just making sh@@ up as you go along, trying to prove a point.

edit on 5-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Does Jesus mean something else if another person carries it? NO Jesus means God is Salvation. Paul says Jesus means Satan. Explain. Liguistically. You know, by means of the Logos.... How can Jesus mean Devil?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Yeah, like these guys.

I would imagine that if any of them had claimed to be a prophet and the son of Jesus, Paul might have dealt with them similarly.

John 4

Presumably, if Paul had the Holy Spirit, he had the power to discern the false prophet and what he was and just exactly where his teaching came from.
edit on 5-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

That's like saying Eisenhower was a wife beater because Ike slapped Tina.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

Does Jesus mean something else if another person carries it? NO Jesus means God is Salvation. Paul says Jesus means Satan. Explain. Liguistically. You know, by means of the Logos.... How can Jesus mean Devil?

The beauty of personal interpretation of the bible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join