It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

You're addicted...And you're in denial.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:35 AM

In an experiment in 1969, Herbert Krugman monitored a person through many trials and found that in less than one minute of television viewing, the person's brainwaves switched from Beta waves– brainwaves associated with active, logical thought– to primarily Alpha waves. When the subject stopped watching television and began reading a magazine, the brainwaves reverted to Beta waves.

Link to source

So it is a fact that television puts your brain into a near meditative state.

It is this change in brainwaves that I believe makes television addictive. Highly addictive.

I first experimented with quitting TV around 2004. I remember well that during those two weeks I felt DEPRESSED and had to use old VHS films as a SUBSTITUTE. The idea was to remove myself from propaganda rather than the TV itself.

That fact that I felt withdrawal symptoms and needed a substitute is evidence for me that TV is indeed addictive like a drug.

So many are addicted and they don't even realise. In order to realise the addiction you need to try it for yourself. Quit the box AND all TV/film media for 2 weeks and you will notice a positive difference.

So I rarely watch TV now, once a week for a couple of hours maybe. I notice a big difference from the old days when I used to waste my life letting the box subdue me. My brain is more active, my body has more life and my thoughts are clearer.

So let me repeat that: when I am not subdued by the TV... My brain is more active, my body has more life and my thoughts are clearer.

The same goes for the internet, although I haven't researched much on IAS(Internet Addiction Syndrome) but I imagine the effects are similar.

Do yourself a favour, quit watching TV. You won't miss anything!!! You'll gain REAL LIFE!!!

You know, when my friends say, "Have you watch Breaking Bad?" - "Realy?!?! You're seriously missing out!!" I don't feel like I am missing out on anything, I actually feel sorry that they are addicted to a television series designed to subdue you so they can make money, regularly.

Maybe switch this dull rubbish off and read a book!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:44 AM
i haven't owned a tv for a really long time, doing the math, must be about 15 years.
And to be totally honest than you, i find myself often more focused than most of my friends (i am almost 31)
they seen to watch so much television but never have any clue what is happening around the world or close to home.
Seems like tv rapidly goes from this device that can inform you about what is going on in the world, to something people use to lobotomize themselves with reality tv shows and celebrity scandals.
They complain that i spend lots of time playing videogames, and well yeah, when i'm not at work or out with my lady, i game, but for some reason i still manage to focus more than them :/

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:50 AM

Maybe switch this dull rubbish off and read a book!

NEVER, you are just in denial, i got a spot for you in front line

Now seriously I watch like 5 or 6 shows a week, you just need to pick something you enjoy and don't go all zombie watching all day realities , some books are really dense and will let you worse in a coma, i recommend das kapital (all three volumes) if you want to end brain dead.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:55 AM
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Seems like tv rapidly goes from this device that can inform you about what is going on in the world, to something people use to lobotomize themselves with reality tv shows and celebrity scandals.

I second that for certain.

a reply to: Indigent
Hhhmmm - you're right about the no beer making people crazy.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:21 AM
But if Breaking bad was a book, would it then be alright to read it ?

I know people who are addicted to books, is that a good or a bad thing, books can contain as much BS as a tv serie, documentary or any topic.

Isn't it up to people to decide for them self what they want to do with their life, i see that mentioned a lot here on ATS.

I don't watch TV as i find it boring and annoying, but equally i don't read many books either.

I do browse the web a lot, and if i want to be entertained, i watch something entertaining on my PC.

IMO it's just to keep being realistic to what's going on around you, and then you can watch whatever you like.

edit on 5-2-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:25 AM
I gave up my television almost 7 years ago and never looked back.
When I go over to my boyfriend's house he will have the television
on and I started to pay attention to how it can put me in a trance.
Even though I know whats happening it still does. Even so, I'll watch
Faux News or CNN and it cracks me up but it scares me at the same
time. People actually believe that crap. It works so incredibly well
to divide the nation and steal everyone's money. It's sorcery of some

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:31 AM
I stopped watching tv to fill time and instead use BT vision box (freeview tv with tivo [pause, record, FF RW] capability's) and just flick through a tv guide to record things that actually interest me. This is only usually a few TV shows [comedy, drama, crime, documentary's etc] or movies a week.

Then i can watch whenever i want and skip adverts.

Ive been doing this for years now and ive noticed im far more productive and tired at the end of the day, mind free of garbage TV shows and looping news trash. Side effect of skipping adverts, not buying things i dont need and a reduction in buying luxury's like soft drinks. Advert never really effected me much but that said i still noticed a reduction in wasted thought and cheaper weekly shopping.

Big +1 here, you dont need to stop TV and quit TV completely to notice the difference explain in this thread. I also dont watch TV before bed, this helps me avoid staying up late "just to finish this" and get a more for filling and longer nights sleep.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:33 AM
Love this thread. Generally when you try to explain to a person you meet that you don't watch TV you get labelled as one of "those people".
I went from rarely having a television for 20-something years to having one on almost all the time when I moved in with my boyfriend. Sometimes the constant drone is enough to make me want to cry.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:43 AM
a reply to: Mianeye

If Breaking Bad were a book then it wouldn't be putting your brain into alpha wave states akin to meditation/trance state - so yes books are good.

It's the TV's effect on your brain that is bad.

Yes, it is up to people. Who would be stupid enough to let me tell them what to do?
edit on 5-2-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:49 AM

To add, (I missed this bit)... It's not the content that is the issue - it's the effect of receiving the content through TV media.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:05 AM
a reply to: and14263

I know people who do nothing but watch TV and have done so much of their life, and they are perfectly fine, so exactly what is the danger, other than people being in a trance state.

I actually know a old guy who is just as wise and informed as all the people in here, and all he have ever done or does is watch TV, all of it...Oh, he paints a lot to.

As i said if you stick to reality, you will suffer no harm whatsoever.

I will though agree that the younger generation is easily fooled, in what they are told, but that has nothing to do with brainwaves.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:09 AM

This has been well known, for decades ... TV is known as an "idio box", because it creates idiots. But it's addictiveness, is primarily towards children and the younger generation.

What is worse, is computer, ipads and other game equipment. Mothers today don't give their Children toys, where they can get hands on expierience, to use their smell, touch and feel their way around the world. But are given an iPad, to shut them up. In return, these children are playing with their computers almost 24/7 ... don't work, don't go to school ... it's just their iPad and facebook, or similar.

It's the same as giving your child drugs, to shut them up ...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:09 AM
I see people that brag about not having a TV, not giving in to the propaganda, but it's not as simple as that. "The message" is every where you look. Billboards, magazines, all advertising, you just have to filter it out. Throwing your TV away is not the answer, having a mind that rejects the BS is.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:17 AM

originally posted by: DAVID64
I see people that brag about not having a TV, not giving in to the propaganda, but it's not as simple as that. "The message" is every where you look. Billboards, magazines, all advertising, you just have to filter it out. Throwing your TV away is not the answer, having a mind that rejects the BS is.

Oh yes, you are indeed correct, we are surrounded by the manipulation. I'm specifically referring to the physical effects TV has on the brain.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:23 AM
For me it's all about being productive. If the TV makes you physically tired and trance like then productivity drops.

I'll use an example from years ago...

I'm walking through the immigrant high areas of my city, around 2009. There are living rooms with their lights on that can be seen on the front of each house, in each one are at least 5 Eastern Europeans, big lads. All zoned in on the TV. As I pass each window I'm thinking "These guys would be able to cause some sh*t if they weren't hooked to the TV."

So ok, they're not going to cause sh*t. But you see how the TV has hooked them in? Every night? Nobody is doing anything. People think they have a life but nobody does anything. Most people just get home and vegetate in front of a box of lights.

I can see from what you post you don't agree and can't see the negative effects. I appreciate your view and accept this is your belief. I don't agree though and if you were willing to kick TV for a week - well, I can't guarentee your life would be better but you'd experience the scary withdrawal I reference and mayeb, just maybe you might get up to some exciting stuff of an evening.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:31 AM
What you're saying about the TV quickly putting a person in the alpha state is true, but to be fair, anything we focus our attention on has the same affect, including books. This is natural for us. The alpha state, while often described as a dreamy-like state is also a hyper-aware state. It allows us to focus and learn more efficiently.

Also, it is a survival skill. You will find marksmen and hunters go into a light alpha state, and settle down right before pulling the trigger, or releasing an arrow. Athletes and professionals also use the alpha state to their advantage.

The downside truly is content. When you are in the alpha-state watching TV, listening to audio, or reading a book, you are more likely to pick up on subtle nuances in programming, such as background movement, voices, and word combinations subconsciously. This is one reason hypnosis is so effective, and why commercials especially, use the knowledge that you are already in "the zone" when their commercial plays. Speaking of which, if you know what you're looking for, commercials are filled with subliminals and hypnotic suggestions, as are movies and TV. Very educational to analyze frame for frame, and scene for scene.

There's a video on youtube where they put sensors on an archer, and a marksman to detect brainwaves. I can't find it at the moment. But if you can, it's very interesting.

I have studied this subject for years, and practice hypnosis, NLP, meditative trance, etc. As well as subliminals, suggestion, and so on. It's a really interesting subject, and we are very programmable. Which is why we must make an effort daily, to know what we're allowing into mind.
edit on 2/5/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:36 AM

I do actually agree, it's just that TV isn't making people stupid if they are not stupid, and the meditative state is not making people more addicted.

It is actually because people like what they are presented, some like it all, others just like the series, it's their way of spending time, it doesn't matter to me or you if it's crap they are watching , it only matters to them, it's their way of getting off stress.

A big factor is stress relieve. People are not suited to be productive all the time, and the majority of people actually has a balance between productivity and relaxation, and their choice of relaxation could be watching TV.

The lack of productivity issue is a completely different thing, it is also present if you read a book or take a walk in the park, you are actually not doing anything but "entertaining" your self".

Of Course there are people overdoing TV watching, though many times there is a reason for such, unemployment is probably the biggest reason, and most likely also laziness, but for example with my friend i told about above, it's simply because he is disabled.

edit on 5-2-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:47 AM
I saw an advert recently for a show based on watching people who are watching TV.....

Need i say more for pointless dumb, braining numbing trash?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:04 AM
What about reading a book while you watch TV? Or doing just about any other activity while you watch TV? I've almost never been the sort to just zone out in front of the TV unless I'm really tired or really into whatever is on. Usually, I'm just not that into it.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:49 PM
Well, in this world... in the Western World, anyway, is it really preferable to be more alert to one's surroundings? With people as most are, and the situation as it is, vegging out in meditative non-cognition might be a blessing.

And heck, some folks thinking more clearly scares me...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>