It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS: Why is ATS now hell bent on shoving this turd down mine and everyone else's throat?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+103 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
So I admittedly lurk on ATS most of the time. I've spent a good portion of the last 8 years of my life on ATS and while it was never a true bastion of free speech and decorum, it was certainly a place for like minded individuals to discuss theories and ideas and philosophize over information that may or may not have had adequate proof or information to back it up. People were entitled to their opinions amongst each other and ATS didn't really take sides on the issues.

Now I've been coming here and trying to avoid this show NLBS but it seems an impossibility to do so at this point. The sides of my page are lined with ever episode so that if I accidentally click anywhere on my window, here comes this fantastic new ATS show that is garnering so much attention. I had no opinion on it, I just didn't feel like watching it and I didn't want it shoved down by throat but lo and behold, here it was in front of me so I started watching.

And I watched some more. And I read some of the titles of other episodes and it seems to me that instead of promoting the discussion of conspiracy theories, this show is instead trying to embrace that idea that pretty much every conspiracy theory in existence in complete and utter garbage. Using personal opinions, one sided arguments, and generally adhering to information provided by government run institutions, they are unsuccessfully attempting to debunk every conspiracy theory, one by one.

So what is the deal here? What is going on? I get that some theories out there are bonkers and crazy to some people, but shouldn't it be our choice and our prerogative to get information and learn for ourselves rather than be pushed the agenda of what is seemingly completely anti-conspiracy?

Is this no longer a conspiracy site or am I mistaken? Or is it that the only REAL conspiracies are JFK, Roswell, and 9/11.

I'd appreciate if someone enlightened me and perhaps gave your opinion on this BS that is being spewed into our faces, one turd at a time.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNewRevolution

I like them they are informative and mostly in my view correct.
ATS is helping see through the BS conspiracy theories which plague the community and makes others think we are all wackjobs for coming to this site.
Also ATS isn't just a conspiracy site.

edit on 4-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Some of them I have liked..others I have hated...but what I dislike most is that its always the top topic on the front page...as if you said ...its being crammed. Id like for ats to choose which topics make it to the top of the list by flags and discussion but somehow nlbs is always at the top. In fact I don't even go to the main page unless im away for a week or so...I usually just click the new topics and that is pretty much the only place I go anymore.

+22 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Haven't watched any NLBS yet myself; but the intrusion of the page margin is truly an annoyance.

There's no reason to link people when they click in the 'whitespace' outside of the actual advertisements. If I intend to scroll a page; this is the first place I generally click to take focus off of my current selection- I.E. this text box.

If I have more than fits here, and want to scroll to the top of the page to review someones comments or revisit the topic for clarity, I am forced to 'hunt' for 'safe whitespace' before I can do so.

Again, an annoyance.

I almost posted something on this myself. Thanks for beating me to it

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And if I wanted to watch NLBS - I would click on the adverts... Not on the whitespace.

Great way to get clicks though!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Evidence tends to show is that they are looking for a deal that works for/on us consumers. I surmise that they just don't know yet just how ornery we are. Basically, I assume that old timers just don't want any part of an ATS "network" telling us what they think is turd-worthy or not.
edit on 4-2-2015 by Aliensun because: I can't spell # when it comes to spelling turd as I did "terd." (Satisfied mods?)

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
oh my you took your time to notice,i suspect its a goverment agenda,i first came suspicous with the spacepen episode.
question is why would you go about researching this and defending the us goverment unless you where the us goverment pawn.

that and the fact its everywhere certain agenda's are being rammed down your throat,,for instance being affected by emf is bull (im pretty sure its real) .

one thing im sure of now though is the fact im not the only one who thinks nlbs is part of the rabbit hole.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't see the big issue with it. ATS has done shows before. They've advertised those shows on the site before. The only difference this time is that it presents the information with a particular slant as opposed to simply regurgitating what's being said on the boards already. And guess what? This model is working. ATS is a discussion board. And NLBS is causing people to discuss the content.

+36 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Except it is making them out to look like a bunch of shills with an agenda.

+37 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I believe you're right. A fundamental change of ATS is happening with the site. It is clearly moving away from a place for alternate information and theories to be explored into a skeptics only place where truths pushed by the mainstream are the only acceptable evidence.

ATS is slowly becoming a place where you are either with the NLBS crowd or you're a crank. Read some of the NLBS threads if you don't believe that. Very polarizing and very unfortunate.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I get the impression the show will become what is now know as "news" on mainstream networks .....

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So you guys can't hover your cursor over the side of the page and squeeze it down to eliminate the sidebars? I can. Is that just a Firefox thing or something?

Man the knickers knots some of you have to endure must really be tortuous. I don't know how you manage to navigate tax forms without self-immolating.

It's a forum for funsies, guys. Chillax.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Respectfully, this is a private forum...members only with our 200,000 of us. Its generally not formatted to the taste of the general public...but those who join, participate, and read and follow the rules (Ts & C's) we agree to in becoming members.

What is intended Im sure...is to provide the best experience and options for this members only forum: ie: US.

We all dont like everything about our home here...but then again... we don't have to. But the designs and efforts of the site-owner, mods and designers...all have our best interests, for the best experiences..in mind, and when there is a dislike of something...we can say so.
The ones who complain the most in general it seems...are those who just drop in occasionally...and complain.

As you have been provided a place to do yourself as a new member. To generate discussion of anything we all don't like...is something thats really of value here to make this the place it is...and to whom its for: forum members ie: US.

Thanks

PS If you dont really like it...travel DOWN/UP the page inside...and you wont open them.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

For an indie program, I think it is presented pretty well. If I were the type to actually want to watch that sort of thing instead of reading it, I would probably enjoy it. I come to ATS to be able to read, scan, and absorb information at a silent pace of my choosing and I can do it anywhere. The option to watch a video is nice and I appreciate the fact it's there just in case I crave a different format.

So, with the understanding that I think it's a good show that I'm just not interested in, my opinion is only of the way it's laid out on the site. I don't mind it except for the fact that I can't click anywhere on the page to make that browser tab active without it pulling up another window. That's actually annoying and I agree with the OP on that part.

The rest of the complaints are rather groundless because it's simply one person's production and opinion. We all have them and we all share them. If NLBS is bringing in some cash to the site, they can say whatever they want. It's not like they're forcing us to watch it. Unless you click on an empty space, that is...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If you really think that NLBS is all about attacking conspiracy theories, then the following videos might have escaped your notice.

Episodes:

Ok, I am bored of this now.

These episode numbers above are just a sample of the videos I have seen, which far from doing what you suggest, support the alternative view of matters.

Of course, it is perfectly possible that you might not feel the same, since ones opinion of these matters is bound to be coloured by ones own biases and beliefs. However, just because they do not suit you, does not mean that they are not fit for purpose, or worthy of something. At the very least, they get people talking about the issues.

Their presence on the side of your ATS pages might be annoying for you, but this is a video series which takes its entire inspriation from the existence of this website, and the activity of the membership. It is only right and fitting therefore, that the videos take a prominent place on ATS pages. Lets face it, NLBS is one of the parts of our community, which touches the fringes of the world of "The muggles".

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The point is that this show is invasive and it is the major thing that everyone is FORCED to see the moment they come on ATS now.

Because of that, it makes it look like ATS is pushing this show hardcore, as does the fact that it is unfairly placed at the top of hot topics and what not despite the number of flags or popularity it receives.

It goes against the entire premise of discussion, denying ignorance, and sharing information to get to the bottom of issues and problems, and instead presents these ideas to the public as singular arguments with definitive answers. If there was not some questionable materials, situations, and research around these subjects they would not be considered potential conspiracies in the first place. However, the discussion amongst people allows people to find truth amongst the mass of misinformation and learn for themselves.

This showing is trying to bypass that and instead indoctrinate the ideas of the shows creators into the minds of those who watch instead of allowing them to think for themselves. Yes is does indeed promote discussion in the related topics, but it is discussion based on division of those who stand behind the show and those who stand against it. Because of the absolutist nature that the show presents, it gives the idea that discussion is pretty much settled and the people who believe otherwise are simply loon theorists.

ATS itself is giving conspiracy theorists a bad name by standing behind this show and promoting the division within instead of combining of efforts to reach truth.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheNewRevolution
and it seems to me that instead of promoting the discussion of conspiracy theories, this show is instead trying to embrace that idea that pretty much every conspiracy theory in existence in complete and utter garbage.

The motto here is "Deny Ignorance", and that is what NLBS is promoting - ever stopped to think that "pretty much every conspiracy theory in existence in complete and utter garbage" is true? Most are BS, based on lies and made up stories. One just has to look at the birther made up stories, or the 9/11 made up stories about holographic planes, silent explosives etc. etc. to see that they are just made up.

NLBS is just showing that when you look at the conspiracy theories closely they fall apart. However, some people do not like their pet conspiracy theory being pulled apart!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Because the site needs an influx of cash to maintain servers. More changes are coming.

This is relevant...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
It's called a business. The little people don't matter, the cogs in the machine, only the leaders.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

I've watched a couple of the episodes on subjects in which I have done thorough and objective research on over the years. They are using information that supports the side they choose to support about the chosen theory and not taking independent study and research into account.

The EMF episode was what had me do a double take. They are simply dead wrong on the issue and are promoting it as "BS".

Some of the topics I can't really comment on because I haven't done the research myself to know whether they are right, wrong, or choosing to leave out relevant information. However, the fact that the ones I have seen seem to follow that agenda, I can only assume the others do the same at least in some fashion.

Thus, people who watch these who do not know the history and information about these theories are introduced to these things with predetermined opinion and I can guarantee many will take it and run with it without doing their own research.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join