It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI - Android adware 'infects millions' of phones and tablets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Just wanted to pass this article along to the community in case you may be affected:

BBC

Android users are being warned that several popular apps that were on the official Google Play store appear to have contained hidden code that made malicious ads pop up.

Security firm Avast said that one of the apps involved - a free version of the card game Durak - had been downloaded up to 10 million times, according to Google Play's own counter.

Google has now blocked access.

But one expert noted that the problem might be less widespread than feared.

Avast said that it first became aware of the issue after a member of the public contacted it after carrying out his own investigation into how his Nexus 5 smartphone had come to be infected with malicious code.

The "adware" was causing spurious pop-up messages to appear that had been made to look like system notifications.

Don't ask me anything about it
I have an Android but use it like an old flip phone, xmit and rec calls is about all I do, hopefully no one here has been a victim

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the info!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
who knows.

i track my bank statement pretty closely, and would notice any unusual activity there (no matter how small). .

The rest likely wouldn't be a big concern.
edit on 2/4/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

All of a sudden tons of ads email... Even though multiple anti-virus and adware scans
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I hope the virus goes airborne and spreads to Apple products. I gave up my tracking device (cell phone) last year when I retired from the military. I have always thought it was funny that people are so against having micro chips implanted in their body due to the fact that they could be tracked, but they have no problem carrying around a GPS tracking, audio listening, and camera device 24/7.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

edit on 4-2-2015 by NotMoose because: Double Post

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose

Don't forget the emergency flashlight capability for those stormy days..

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I'm just a little bitter this morning
I forgot to thank you for the info, I will pass it along to my wife and kids.

edit on 4-2-2015 by NotMoose because: add you

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Just like "cookies" were never a concern in the 1990s as the gov't never joined with some of us to protest them. Now, they--meaning everybody--spies on us with impunity, even via the new TV sets. Complacency is addictive so it seems. God, I hope it never happens to me.

new topics

top topics

join