It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tesla Model S Insane mode reactions are funny (Vid)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Meet the new Model S From Tesla motors.

From Business Insider

Tesla introduced its dual-motor Model S late last year, and among the many improvements it has over the original Model S is its incredible acceleration.

The standard Model S can go from 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, which is pretty fast, but the new dual-motor Model S can get there in just 3.2 seconds — "roller-coaster stuff," in other words.

Sounds like a BLAST! NOW lets watch unsuspecting reactions! Btw NSFW..

So what do you think ATSers GO or NO GO?
I know I would take this Car in a Second!

edit on 2/4/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/4/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I want one. Even for 10 minutes. I want to push the button.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: hmmmbeer

Is the button a big red one?. If so I will learn to drive for one of these
How much is it btw?.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: hmmmbeer

Is the button a big red one?. If so I will learn to drive for one of these
How much is it btw?.

A SHINY red button? lol
It retails @ around $71,000

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

That was very amusing. Thanks for posting.

Tesla is constantly achieving things that the "Big 3" automotive manufacturers in the USA have miserably failed at. Ford, GM, and Chrysler would have spent ten times the development costs with inferior performance results and epic reliability and maintainability problems.

If it were a Ford, the "insane" button would have to say "maybe".

Yay for Tesla!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Actually I think the base price of the Model S P85D is about $100k but all things considered, that doesn't seem unreasonable when compared to similarly priced cars.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The $71k price prob Inflated after release that was their project sales MSRP..so yep you're prob right. But I absolutely agree with you its a GREAT price considering the cost of european sports cars that are twice as much with a considerable drop in performance compared to this new tech. Way to go Tesla motors!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

As a car fanatic; more than an enthusiast, this thing is drool-worthy.

I drive 3200 lbs of 400 WHP and I'd be hard pressed to keep up with this thing ... And not a chance from a dead stop.

The fact that their standard Model S ran door to door with some highly regarded middle-range sports cars on a brand new electric platform is awesome. As much of a fan of securing our future by saving nature and reducing emissions and such, I will never loose love for the feeling you get from romping the throttle on 800 horsepower; but Tesla is going to change the industry away from all of this... For the better of everyone, but it'll be a sad day.

I see myself like Will Smith in I-Robot -- the guy with a racecar ( his was a crotch rocket ) in a storage unit with like 1000 gallons of gas on standby. Just for a fun weekend.

As for their new model; I've seen this video, and I absolutely must drive this thing. Doubled up on electric motors - one front and one back - implying all wheel drive; in a car that already rivaled some very fast cars. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing videos of these things running next to Lamborghinis; at half the price. With no fuel cost.

It's the right direction; and we're making truly impressive bounds in the industry. Cheers to Tesla Motors - if you folks ever need a test driver; you f#kin call me immediately. ( I hope someone at Tesla ATSes... )

OP - I almost posted this the other day. The video is a brilliant representation of what this thing is.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheFlesh1980

That was very amusing. Thanks for posting.

If it were a Ford, the "insane" button would have to say "maybe".

Yay for Tesla!

Hah! Hahahahahahaha!

Lol; if you read my last reply - you'll note a little bit of what I'm about... The fact that you dropped Ford there makes me so happy; considering I drive a Chevy and am constantly obliterating Fords. There needs to be a golf clap emoticon.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
$100k and it only has a top speed of 155mph. I think I'll pass. It has impressive acceleration but 155mph top end is not that fast.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bovah2

Hmm... Hadn't checked that spec yet... A little disappointing - but something I'm sure they could correct easily enough.

The only reason I could see for them limiting it in this manner is that a higher top speed requires a bigger transmission - they could have been aiming for a better power-to-weight ratio in that respect; but there's also some other approaches to making top speed.

A big version of the continuously variable transmission that they used to ( I don't think they do anymore for some reason... Not positive. A lot of issues probably :-/ ) put in Altimas would be idea for this thing... I'm not even sure what the results would be; considering that the transmission does not shift ( DOES NOT SHIFT ), and can go 'immediately' from an idle to max RPM as fast as the engine will allow; and never drop... From 0 to 100 in my girlfriends car, I can step on the gas and never lift, and the RPMs will never drop. Something like this in an electric motor that winds up RPMs WAY faster than a normal car, would be absolutely absurd. To achieve over 200 MPH it would have to be pretty good-sized; but well worth it in my opinion.

I'd just really like to see this build run too... They had to ban CVT transmissions in F1 because they're just cheating...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Since moving to Portland, I've seen a dozen of these S Models. They are pretty sweet looking and the technology looks to be coming around but 100k? Still a rich man's play toy. Maybe 10 -15 yrs down the line, we will see a 300+ mile range Tesla that looks good and costs less than 40K. Doubt it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hahahahahahaha..Watch the kids phone defy gravity.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bovah2

My 2002 Camaro will do higher than 155 (with governor disabled) and I only paid $29K for that brand new.

JT

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Great video, I love the way thqat the people instinctively clutch at the seat when he accelerates.

On another note: Goddamn, everybody #ing cusses these days, right? #!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Oh boy I lost my gameboy there....lol

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

It looks such a respectable, sedate car.

Then...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That's impressive

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was behind one of these at a light. I blipped the throttle a few times trying to suggest to the driver that I would like to see it go fast. My car does 0-60 in under 4.7, this thing surprised the crap out of me. And there I was, getting horrible gas mileage and shifting like a chump while this thing quietly pulled away from me. There are so many Teslas running around here, they seem to have replaced the Prius. I don't even notice them anymore most of the time.

Couple of points. While I greatly respect the car and what it's done for the industry and consumers, it's not actually on par with European sport sedans that cost about the same. It goes 0-60 insanely fast, but it's still a big ass sedan and doesn't handle all that well. You also couldn't take it for a day at the track and drive it like this constantly because the battery couldn't take the heat. It handles well, but on par with a BMW 335i that costs far less, at least that's how they did at Laguna Seca. This is still impressive given the things size of course. Still, if you want to go fast for a long time in a sedan there are better options out there.

People are saying that being limited to 130 is silly, but it's not. It's a one speed gear box. The motor can only spin so fast. I'm sure this is for vehicle longevity and safety. I also wonder if the batteries are able to discharge effectively beyond that.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bovah2
$100k and it only has a top speed of 155mph. I think I'll pass. It has impressive acceleration but 155mph top end is not that fast.

Top speed is a useless number unless you plan on driving the autobahn, an airstrip or dry lake bed. Acceleration can be handy anywhere.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join