It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

plane crash in Taiwan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Dashcam footage captures Taiwan plane crash: youtu.be...

This plane crashed shortly after takeoff from Taipei, it hits a taxi then a bridge before finishing in the river.
28 people rescued so far.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: michael1888

Wow..., sometimes you wish it's CGI. Seems to be an urban area. Looks horrible.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
At least 13 people are reported killed after a regional airliner with 58 on board came down in Keelung river in Taipei. A further 18 are injured and 31 are missing.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If i was the guy in the car, i would need a change of undies before i got the car stopped.
Dang, it was lucky no one on the bridge got smacked.

odd how it was almost sideway's, wind? to fast of a climb?
guess we will know before to long.
edit on 4-2-2015 by severdsoul because: .

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Cant blame the weather on this one...Something seriously went wrong here.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
i need a change of underwear just from looking at the footage.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   
How can anyone survive this?

Heres the HD original dash cam footage

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Rescuers used a crane to hoist the fuselage of a wrecked TransAsia Airways plane from a shallow river in Taiwan's capital late Wednesday as they searched into the night for 17 people missing in a crash that killed at least 26 others.

Flight 235 with 58 people aboard — most of them travelers from China — banked sharply on its side shortly after takeoff from Taipei, clipped a highway bridge and then careened into the Keelung River.

Rescuers in rubber rafts pulled 15 people alive from the wreckage during daylight. After dark, they brought in the crane, and the death toll was expected to rise once crews were able to search through submerged portions of the fuselage, which came to rest a few dozen meters (yards) from the shore.

Mod Note: Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 2/4/2015 by Blaine91555 because: Fixed post. No external source tags and the quote was way to long.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Horrific, in this video, (from the OP) you can also see how the taxi is struck by the very wingtip,

edit on 4-2-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Please check the 8th post down on this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The pilot let the plane stall which is the reason the left wing dropped. It appears that the nose of the plane was not lowered to maintain airspeed during it's descent.

I find it difficult to believe that both engines failed at the same time. This type of airplane should be able to fly perfectly well on one engine only leaving "pilot error" to blame.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

They lost the left engine on climb. They never went over 116 knots. It can fly on one engine if it has the airspeed. They didn't.
edit on 2/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Time to put your money where your mouth is. Prove it.

The data that you ignore proves you're wrong.
edit on 2/4/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They lost the left engine on climb. They never went over 116 knots. It can fly on one engine if it has the airspeed. They didn't.

Then the pilot took off before he reached his V2 speed with both engines turning! V2 is the speed that insures directional control and flying speed if an engine fails.

The airplane has three speeds that are observed on take off. V1 is the go/no go speed where if a problem occurs prior to this speed the plane is kept on the ground and after this speed the plane will continue to accelerate to flying speed. VR speed is where the nose is raised to an angle where the plane will climb followed by the V2 speed (blue line) where the plane is lifted off the ground. The plane is safe to be flown on a single engine at any speed passed V2.

The 116 kts is probably is his V2 safety speed and he pulled back too hard to maintain his 116 kts and stalled. This can be chalked up to pilot training or lack there of.
edit on 4-2-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotimization

edit on 4-2-2015 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

There were three pilots in the cockpit. The third could have been a distraction, or they could have gotten contaminated fuel, or a couple other things I can think of.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

There were three pilots in the cockpit. The third could have been a distraction, or they could have gotten contaminated fuel, or a couple other things I can think of.

Pilots usually observe the sterile cockpit rule which requires no conversation below 10K feet that is not required for safe operation of the plane. But, this still may have been an issue!

Fuel contamination is definitely a possibility for engine failure. Turbine engines work better than recips with bad gas as you already know. In Viet Nam, I used Mogas in my OH-6 once.

As I watch the video, I can't see if the stick pusher ever engaged. The nose of the plane appears to keep the same angle. If the stick pusher engaged properly, the nose would be lowered to maintain flying speed automatically.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Qualified Guess: Engine out on takeoff
Prop stuck in fine alpha
Aircraft climbing at 1300 fpm, should be more like 300 single engine
Aircraft way too slow
VMCA got them
The end!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It looks like the the Taxi driver survived by mere inches, look at the right side of the windscreen with the A pillar cut in two.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: C46driver

Qualified Guess: Engine out on takeoff
Prop stuck in fine alpha
Aircraft climbing at 1300 fpm, should be more like 300 single engine
Aircraft way too slow
VMCA got them
The end!

I was looking at the video of the left engine and it looks like it's feathered. I do agree with you about the Vmca that got them.

I have flown several multi-engine types but I don't remember the emergency procedures for props stuck in full increase. I guess I depended on the auto-feather system to work, lol. I guess I spent too much time on planes without props.

Do you fly for Buffalo? Now that's flyin'.
edit on 4-2-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I've been looking at the dash cam recording and i came to the opposite conclusion.

To me the left propeller doesn't look correctly feathered.

According to some tech discussion i've been able to find out here, on the ATR-72 there's no auto feather and you have to feather the propeller manually, otherwise chances are the aircraft won't climb at all [on a single engine climb].

Almost all turboprop pilots that I spoke to comments the same, ATR struggles to climb if the dead engine is not feathered.

I think engine failure was the primary cause, but i suspect bad crew management (failure to adopt the correct procedures in a stressful situation) made the difference between a safe landing and the crash that actually happened.

By the way, the plane did not stall right after take off, it actually gained altitude and went down some 5km from the airport.

This is a departure pattern of the same aircraft from Taipei airport:

This one, instead, is the departure pattern of the crashed flight:

Seems clear to me that the crew struggled to keep the aircraft as much as possible over the river in order to avoid crashing on a densely populated area.

The final rolling movement to the left was probably induced by the pilot in order to avoid impacting the building he passed through while in a "quasi-glide". This however, stalled the aircraft without any possibility of recovering it.

edit on 4-2-2015 by CiTrus90 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join