It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside a Black Hole

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2002 @ 04:03 AM
link   
According to a recent newspaper article, experts have a new theory regarding Black Holes.

According to the American Physical Society, Black Holes may now be a kind of 'bubble' of warped space and time, which they call "gravastars, that are surrounded by an indestructable layer of some kind.

They suggest that our universe may even be INSIDE one of these 'gravastars' and there could be others inside the other black holes we can see.

posted on Aug, 12 2002 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Cool

So we are tiny small universe within more tiny universes and we have tiny tiny universes in our tiny universe....

Cool that makes me sleep better at night!

posted on Aug, 12 2002 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well, a universe in a universe. So what a white hole? Isn't that one of the theories? A black hole leads to a white hole? And a white hole spews out what the black hole sucked in? But this new theory is very interesting.

Think, a universe in a universe in auniverse in a universe. Or maybe it's a universe in a universe in auniverse in a universe in a universe in a universe. Or....

posted on Aug, 13 2002 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm not buying it..a black hole is a callapsed star..how is that a tiny universe? And the "indestructable layer" around it if I'm not mistaken is called an event horizon. If that's wrong someone correct me because I'm going on my memory here.

And I'm not buying the whole white hole thing. Who says it has anything to do with a black hole? Like i said, a black hole is callapsed star, that sucked itself inside it's own gravitational feild and was crushed into infinity.

Now for them being bubbles..then where does all the matter getting sucked into this thing go? Can light be crushed by gravity? If so it could make sense because the light and other matter would be crushed as they enter this tiny universe. But if there's an indestructable layer around the "bubble", the matter can't get in the universe so where does everything go?

posted on Aug, 13 2002 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Perhaps a better word than indestructable would be 'impassable'.

Lost prophet, you don't have to buy it, its only a theory
Maybe they are proposing the atoms get compressed as they pass the event horizon (which from memory is the range at which the escape velocity to leave the black hole is equal to the speed of light). Once inside the black hole itself there would be regions of varying gravity. Much like at the centre of mass of the earth the gravity would be minimal, once inside the black hole there would be regions where the gravity was far less than outside. Of course you'd think the tidal effects would very rapidly tear anything (atoms included) apart at the heart of a black hole.

But whos to say the distortion of spacetime at the boundary isnt such that physical laws inside the singularity aren't different to those outside. Its basically impossible for us to tell at present, and rather unlikely we will ever know in the future

Infinity is such fun

posted on Aug, 13 2002 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is the basis for the idea in Gregory Benford's novel, Cosm:
www.amazon.com...=1029258325/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8490264-8260660

An excellent read:
Alicia Butterworth is a physicist from U.C. Irvine who's trying to re-create the conditions that existed just before the big bang using the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider on Long Island. Something goes wrong during one of the collider runs, and part of the machine explodes, leaving behind a strange metallic sphere. Butterworth sneaks the object back to Irvine, where she and a colleague determine that what they have on their hands is a window into a miniature universe, or cosm. The cosm is evolving far faster than our own universe, giving Butterworth a ringside seat as the history of creation replays itself. Her theft turns out to be just the start of what, at times, is a boisterous adventure as she becomes ensnared in the intrigue of cloistered academic and scientific circles.

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Damn advertising types

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Yes, it is the event horiven.(sp?)

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I don't think it imassable. Say something powerful and fast went near one? Even more powerful then the black hole.

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I still wonder how people can spell things incorrectly when they are written many times in the thread above, strange..

OK james, maybe superman or the power rangers could get through unscathed. But no technology we have now, or anytime in the foreseeable future would have a chance at getting near the black hole, far beyond the event horizon any physical object would be ripped apart by the immense gravitational/tidal forces.

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I believe that black holes are related to time. Read my theory HERE

posted on Aug, 14 2002 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Ok, saying we're in a balck hole right now, shouldn't there be the singularity of the black hole somewhere in this universe/black hole? I'm guessing probably in the very center. And does that mean that at the edge of this universe is the "impassable" structure or force?

Oh yeah and thanks Kano, now I remember, the event horizon is the point of no escape from the black hole. And the singularity is the crushed star inside the black hole, ahh I almost feel smart again.

posted on Aug, 15 2002 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here's a good link for info on a pretty wide variety of astronomical phenomenon...
www.pbs.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2002 @ 06:48 PM
link   
A blackhole messes with time...

If we were inside a blackhole, could it be possible that the singularity... the very center of a blackhole universe... the very thing that created such a universe... the very extreme point of gravitational force, might actually twist space and time so much that there is no way we could see it or detect it's presence. Considering it lays withing infinite time and infinite space.... As for the bubble effect...I'm working on it

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 12:31 AM
link   
No if that were the case, then all the properties of black holes would be none-existant....remember for every 2 amounts of mass a black hole absorbs, it releases 2 and re-absorbs one. So consequently a black hole is evaporating, and it is actually postulated that we've been creating VERY short lived and very faint black holes, EVERY time we smash atoms.

That "another universe" black hole crap is getting old and annoying, other then it's sever drag on the space time continuim, black holes have little effect on their surroundings (a black hole with the same mass as a star can't grab anything further then 900 miles with it's gravitational feild, where as a star can have gravitational effects on objects many 100,000s of thousands of miles.)

Besides, if we were IN a black hole, I think we'd have noticed it by now....for one, we are expanding, we'd BE the singularity...two we'd be gaining mass, which we aren't...and there would be a signifigant amount of matter being destroyed in our universe...also which isn't happening.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I've read somewhere before about the evaporation thing. On theory deals with the blackhole kind of 'creating' matter using the zero point energy effect... I can't remember the exact details surrounding it though...

I've also read that there IS alot of evidence suggesting that we do indeed live within a blackhole. I would tend to hope that the fine people of this board have nothing in common with those of our past who argued it was impossible for the earth to be round!

The singularity would be 'hidden' from view since it's the source. It is forever 'trapped' within it's own spacetime continuum... But where would all this matter falling into a blackhole go? It has no choice but to go 'somewhere'. This universe in a blackhole is one idea, thatn does have supportive evidence for. The only other thoery would be a white hole. We're talking about something spewing matter out back into our universe. Something like this should have been detected by now, yet it hasn't... Yet, we have found 'some evidence' that we reside within a blackhole.

Not one single person alive today or in that past knows what the physical conditions are inside a blackhole. Even at this point in our history, with all our advances, we still can't even guess... What we can do is observe and make theories and test them...

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this theory... After all... The earth did turn out round didn't it?

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Perhaps, the reason why we don't gain mass might have something to do with time itself. Remember... A black hole messes with time in a big way.

Eventually, all matter in our universe is going to essentially go 'poof' (in a way). Our universe is going to die cold and dark. All that would be left are blackholes. All these blackhole's eventually 'merge' together trillions of years from now. What we've ended up with is a huge blackhole that contains all the mass of an entire universe. Now either this mass is going to be expelled through a whitehole somewhere, or... If the whole universe idea really is wrong, then the entire mass of this universe going going to be compressed into a single tiny point of compresses matter and energy...right?

Look at that last sentance... 'Single point of compressed matter and energy'... Now I ask you... What in the big vang theory did we 'bang' from in the first place? A tiny, compressed single point of compressed matter and energy.... I'm sure you can figure out the rest from there.... Unless you to believe the earth is flat....

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMasonBesides, if we were IN a black hole, I think we'd have noticed it by now....for one, we are expanding, we'd BE the singularity...two we'd be gaining mass, which we aren't...and there would be a signifigant amount of matter being destroyed in our universe...also which isn't happening.

Hmmm...This sounds something like the "If the universe is expanding, then why can't I find a parking space" thing. For one thing, if the universe were expanding, would we even *notice*? If everything we see & know of is expanding at the same rate, then how are we to notice any difference? In other words, maybe the parking spaces *are* getting bigger, but we'd never notice it because we & are cars are getting bigger at the same rate. We don't notice any wieght-gain on the bathroom scale, because the scale itself is also expanding and registering by ever-increasing paramenters for measuring your weight.

...Boy, it's soooooo much fun stretching "rubber science"...

Ultimately, any theories that deals with the conditions surrounding & within a black hole are only that: THEORIES. We'll never be able to *know* anything for sure until we can make a probe sturdy enough to give us readings on those conditions.

Any volunteers to cruise into the event horizon?...Didn't think so.

kim

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 11:17 AM
link   
brain straining stuff
so when does the universe (however damn many there are) end? does it go round in a big globe like thing? or just forever?

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well, considering the universe expanded outwards in a weightless enviroment, I would say it's pretty safe to say it's shaped like a globe. While it is finite in shape, if you were to travel it, it might appear to be infinite, untill you realize your just going around in circles

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join