It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports TransAsia plane has crashed and landed into river in Taipei.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Havox

I don't know if you remember the F-117 that crashed over an airshow in Maryland, but they missed the fact that only one bolt holding the wing on was reinstalled, and with no pin to lock it in.

This particular aircraft had the left engine replaced at some point recently, in Macau.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It appears the death toll is up to at least 31.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Apparently, from ATC recording it would seem that flight GE 235 called a may day due to an engine flame out.

Mayday signal at minute 23 and 25 seconds of the following recording:

ATC recordings

Last speed readings on flightradar24 show 83, 81 and 85 knots. Stall speed for the ATR-72 is 102 knots clean and 84 knots with flap down at mgw.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Havox
Looks like the death toll is up to at least 23..

Also, anyone have any ideas what caused it?

www.cnn.com...

The Dash 600 ATR has auto feather and from enhancing the pix it appears that the left prop had been feathered. Add to that the reports that the crew radiod a "Mayday" three times and it looks like a possible critical (left engine because of p factor) failure with airspeed degrading below Vmc causing a VMC roll at too low an altitude to recover.
By the way, Transasia has had 4 fatal ATR-72 crashes.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It's confirmed at 26 dead, 17 missing and presumed dead.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Answer

Imagine being the poor SOB in the yellow van!!!

This is one hard headed taxi driver .

The driver of the taxi was taken to hospital with a head injury and a concussion but is in a stable condition

I was wondering what happened to the taxi driver!
I can't imagine having an airplane wing slice through my car.
Almost reminds me of a dream I had about being hit by an airplane engine that fell out of the sky.
Freaky!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: Answer

Imagine being the poor SOB in the yellow van!!!

This is one hard headed taxi driver .

The driver of the taxi was taken to hospital with a head injury and a concussion but is in a stable condition

I was wondering what happened to the taxi driver!
I can't imagine having an airplane wing slice through my car.
Almost reminds me of a dream I had about being hit by an airplane engine that fell out of the sky.
Freaky!

Have you seen the movie Donnie Darko lately or something?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Oh. I just saw the CNN headline saying "at least 31 dead"

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGoondockSaint

lol
No, have not seen that movie in a long time, and only parts of it, but it was a twisted movie from what I remember.
I take it something similar happened there?

It is probably a common dream if people fly a lot and get worried about it.
Used to dream a lot about airplane crashes.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I don't know if you remember the F-117 that crashed over an airshow in Maryland, but they missed the fact that only one bolt holding the wing on was reinstalled, and with no pin to lock it in.

This particular aircraft had the left engine replaced at some point recently, in Macau.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that workers forget things because of the monotony of their jobs or distractions.

I was almost killed while delivering a highly modified pickup truck that I'd just picked up from the shop that did all the custom work. The driver's rear tire and wheel came off while I was on a freeway entrance ramp. It was later found that all 5 lug nuts were gone and the lug nuts on the other rear tire were only finger-tight. Someone installed the rear wheels and forgot to go back with an impact wrench.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Absolute Pseudo-Science, and the theory total abuses real science.

You really do not actually need any science in this anyway.

Statistics kind of explain why there are more air crashes in Asia.

Asia being the largest, fastest-growing (10% and 15% growth rate last two years) and most competitive market for air travel for the last 4 years.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

www.cnn.com...

The Dash 600 ATR has auto feather and from enhancing the pix it appears that the left prop had been feathered. Add to that the reports that the crew radiod a "Mayday" three times and it looks like a possible critical (left engine because of p factor) failure with airspeed degrading below Vmc causing a VMC roll at too low an altitude to recover.
Mayday? ANC? looks like some screwup. Tragic. My condolences to those affected.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Add the cultural block to good crew coordination and you have an accident waiting for a place to happen.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

www.cnn.com...

I doubt if this ATR has any critical engine due to p factor issues

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The pilot radioed a mayday, and engine flameout. It appears from stills of dashcam videos the left engine is shut down and the prop is not feathered.

The Taiwanese aviation authority has grounded all ATR-72s.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Shame this happened. I'm not even a pilot (most I've ever done was sims), but my understanding is that you never turn into a dead prop on a twin engine. But this appears to be the case here, I thought professionals were trained better than that?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: pauljs75

They didn't have a lot of choice. They were already wallowing, and there were buildings and bridges in the way. Their options were limited.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

It looked to me as if the pilot was trying for the river, if nothing else, to limit casualties on the ground. When all else fails, when there are no decent options, you try to limit the number of deaths that the crash will yield.

In that sort of scenario, they did well.

P

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

That's what most people have concluded. The mayor of Taipei has declared them heroes for missing everything but that small portion of bridge.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

With just a little more speed, they may have put it on its belly in the water, sadly, it was not to be. I think the angle of the turn robbed the wings of lift but he needed the angle to miss the buildings.

The best of a whole lot of really crap options.

P

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join