It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Sen: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory bu

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The guy gave a completely bad example, but I know what he was trying to say. This is what is wrong with politics. Media and partisans try to play this gotcha game instead of actually discussing the issues.

There are so many bad and unnecessary regulations on the books that are burdensome to businesses and do nothing to help the consumer. I see it everyday in my industry where we spend an inordinate amount of time trying to comply with regulations that sound good in theory, but completely useless in practical terms.

Washing hands is necessary and critical to hygiene. However, realistically, how can govt actually enforce that employees do so? They can't unless there is a camera in the bathroom.

What he was trying to say is that the free market will typically run these poorly run places out business. You don't need a government regulation requiring a restaurant post some stupid sign saying employees must wash hands after using the restroom. That is common sense.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

It was a joke to point out irony.

it's the video !!!

it's the video !!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
GOP. The Kings of Wisdom.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yeah someone sure is making SNIP up.

He first said this:

I was having this discussion with someone, and we were at a Starbucks in my district, and we were talking about certain regulations where I felt like maybe you should allow businesses to opt out,” Tillis recalled. “Let an industry or business opt out as long as they indicate through proper disclosure, through advertising, through employment, literature, whatever else. There’s this level of regulations that maybe they’re on the books, but maybe you can make a market-based decision as to whether or not they should apply to you.”

Followed by THIS:

Tillis said that at about that time, a Starbucks employee came out of one of the restrooms.

Tillis then answered THIS:

“I think it’s one I can illustrate the point,” Tillis told the women. “I said, I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as the post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restrooms.’ The market will take care of that.”

The market would take care of it.

I EFFING love how that got spun.

Guess people are too stupid to make up their own minds.

They need government to do it for them.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
What do expect from the crowd that uses raw story as their go to news.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose

After waiting forever loading the page and watching the vid (i have horrible internet) the Senator is clearly not an idiot.

To the OP
For purposely misleading the readers with a partial and twisted story, you should be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

DEM. the jesters of reading comprehension.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NotMoose
a reply to: WeRpeons

You didn't read the article did you?

Please read it and you will see this Thread is a twist of words.

Right "put up a sign" lol

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

This belongs in the "you just can't make this **** up dept....." "Post a sign"......OMFG

BaaHaHaHa

But the rawstory "author" *DID* make it up !!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

and it appears they are getting "Progressively" desperate by the day.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hell yeah they made it up.

“That’s probably one where every business that did that would go out of business,” he added. “But I think it’s good to illustrate the point that that’s the sort of mentality that we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country.”

Intentionally making a sink hole out of a mountain.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm a firm believer that the left-right debates, lately, are ridiculous and unnecessarily dividing in much of their scope... that said, this current incarnation of the GOP is utterly brain dead and beyond ignorant and they better smarten up or risk being left behind by the increasing portion of the world quite comfy with modern science and tolerance.

That is all...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
a reply to: NotMoose

After waiting forever loading the page and watching the vid (i have horrible internet) the Senator is clearly not an idiot.

To the OP
For purposely misleading the readers with a partial and twisted story, you should be ashamed of yourself.

I changed the title. I was told it was to long so I shortened it by taking out SEn Tillis's name. It was explained in the OP and people can read the article and make up their own mind. That's what they should do!

Imo, any senator that thinks it's ok to just put up a sign and for food workers not to wash their hands after going to the john is clearly an idiot.

And if it sparks debate about the need to wash your hands, take personal responsibility and common sense hygene, after taking a ______, then I'm damn sure not ashamed.

If anyone should be ashamed it those that support a person that thinks spreading filth among the customers at a restaurant is ok if you put up a damn sign.
edit on 3-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Handwashing should be compulsory in all industries, at obvious times such as in bathrooms, but also made compulsory during working hours generally.

It would greatly limit the spread of diseases such as colds and flu which are spread from contact mostly from things such as door handles.

There should also be frequent compulsory antibacterial /antiviral washing of high contact areas such as keyboards, doors and door handles, handrails, equipment etc in all industries.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I read the post, not the article, because like you said in your other post "What do expect from the crowd that uses raw story as their go to news. "

I'm a lifelong Independent 40+ years.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Only if the fancy $100 dollar a meal restaurant he eats at opts out. Let them eat poo.

ID
edit on 3-2-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
That is so incredibly disgusting! What an idiot. Doesn't he know that's how diseases are spread? I would ask how people like this get elected but then I remember what George Carlin says about voting:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Before today I would have never guessed there was listeria lobby. Can't say I'm surprisedto see a Republican cave to their pressure first, though.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
What a poofectly awful example to use to advance your infatuation with the "free market", Mr. Tillis! But then, you probably never had to do much thinking in your service in the NC state legislature, since the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, gave you a Legislator of the Year award. Why, all ALEC had to do was provide ready made legislation for you to bring up! Are you going to rely on corporate lobbyists to write your bills, now that you're in the US Congress?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join