It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians & their weird food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Today, the husband & I went out to lunch. Nothing unusual there, people do that. This place had poutine on the menu. I eyeballed it warily -- curds & gravy on fries, really?

I caved and ordered some. I poked at it for a while trying to conjure up the stones to try it. Eventually, I ate some.

I had an epiphany moment.
Poutine is friggin' delicious.

For something that always struck me as looking regurgitated, it's the best thing I've had in a while, putting most other carby comfort foods to shame. So to all Canadians, I'm sorry ever made fun of it, and . . . I am now a convert. You win the comfort food war!

Any other poutine fans in the US? And anyone got a recipe for making the curds at home?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yup, Poutine. Had the same reaction when I first tried it yrs ago. What's not to like? Cheese, gravy, fries...MATCH! Gotta put on the hot sauce tho...next level stuff right there.

Now, let's not talk about those NASTY Grits you guys have down there...ewwwww...!

We have poutine and what do you offer in return...GRITS? Not a fair trade whatsoever!

Think about it.

Flavor:

Paste:

Peace

edit on 3-2-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Yup, Poutine. Had the same reaction when I first tried it yrs ago. What's not to like? Cheese, gravy, fries...MATCH! Gotta put on the hot sauce tho...next level stuff right there.

Now, let's not talk about those NASTY Grits you guys have down there...ewwwww...!

We have poutine and what do you offer in return? GRITS!

Peace

Hot sauce, hm? That actually sounds like it would work quite well, or a pepper gravy at least would. Yum!

Ick, grits are disgusting. I grew up in the south where everyone ate them, I could never stomach a single spoonful of grits. There's nothing to put on them that make them taste good

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We call it cheesy chips and gravy in the U.K.

Trust our Canadian cousins to give it some fancy Dan name, it must be the French influence, damn it!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I was up there years ago and was served Maple Pie. Looked like mud. We all looked at it.
I took a bite. Oh, yum.
next time I'm up there I'll try the poutine (vairation of 'pudding'?)

one vote in favor of well-buttered, tender, grits and shrimp. it can be awesome (esp wi a touch of caramelized onion...)
edit on 3-2-2015 by works4dhs because: add useful line

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I had never heard of this before. But I must say, if I were offered it, I'd try it in a heartbeat. It sounds DELICIOUS!!!

Honestly, it's not unlike chinese food served on chips instead of rice, and deep-dried snickers bars from the UK.

You simply have to be adventurous in this life!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Poutine is good stuff, I grab some every time I am up north.

The local gastro pub makes an upscale version here in New Jersey with Asiago cheese replacing the curd, foie gras sauce replacing the gravy and truffle fries instead of regular fries.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You need to try the smoked meat poutine with onions....ten bucks and a meal for 3 but DAMN!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Up here you would start a riot by doing that or get shot.
We like are poutine the way it is.
Curds,gravy and fries...adding some smoked meat and onions is fine.....what you typed,good luck getting out of town.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This Wouldn't negatively effect my New Years resolution to give up health food would it?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
This Wouldn't negatively effect my New Years resolution to give up health food would it?

Believe it or not, poutine can be found at McDonald's.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Today, the husband & I went out to lunch. Nothing unusual there, people do that. This place had poutine on the menu. I eyeballed it warily -- curds & gravy on fries, really?

I caved and ordered some. I poked at it for a while trying to conjure up the stones to try it. Eventually, I ate some.

I had an epiphany moment.
Poutine is friggin' delicious.

For something that always struck me as looking regurgitated, it's the best thing I've had in a while, putting most other carby comfort foods to shame. So to all Canadians, I'm sorry ever made fun of it, and . . . I am now a convert. You win the comfort food war!

Any other poutine fans in the US? And anyone got a recipe for making the curds at home?

You should try chicken poutine. Something really to crave for. lol

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yeah but their gravy is horrible --you need beef gravy -- and their never-rot fries. Need I say more? It's not even close to a chip truck's specialty.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Oh yeah

Poutines are the best drunk food and the best comfort food at the same time!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

I may change the rules for hockey at the same time.

And maybe make the police officers ride llamas instead of horsies.

Muhahahah.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
You need to stop worrying so much about what something *looks* like. Instead think about what the components taste like and think to yourself about whether or not those tastes/textures seem like a good fit.

In this case ... what's not to like about the idea of gooey melty cheese curd, hearty rich beefy gravy with that hint of fattiness and nice crispy taters? Seems like a win to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
you want to see poutine!

Cafe chez west poutine, campbellton NB

yummy, i live like 2 min from quebec and the population around here is mostly french . poutine is huge around here , i work in kitchens for the pastt 15 yrs and if you dont have a poutine on your menu your retarted. good for hangover breakfast, munchies, drunk sober up a bit meal, i only have this in the fridge college meal.. poutine is amazing get creative and enjoy poutine..

my favorite poutine
BREAKFAST POUTINE

FRENCH FRIES, CUBED HASH BROWNS, OR MASHED POTATOES.... FRIES MUST BE DEEP FRIED TO GIVE MAXIMUM CRISPNESS AND TEXTURE, THIS IS A MUST WITH POUTINE AS FRYS GET SOGGY AND THAT CAN BE A BIT GROSS.
PAN SCRAMBLE 2 EGGS
FRESH BACON BITS /SAUSAGE OR CUBED TUPIE HAM COOKED.
FRESH CHIVES, CHOPPED FINE.
HOMEMADE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
5 YR OLD CANADIAN CHEDDAR CHEESE GRATED & APPLEWOOD SMOKED GOUDA CHEESE

large bowl or plate add frys, eggs,chives, meat of choice

now the final step is of choice is it sauce than cheese or cheese than sauce.. its all preference.. myself i like a crusty toping of cheese on my poutine , its a texture thing for me. but some people like the cheese really stringy and mixed with the sauce. so its all about how you want it. myself i would put Sauce than Cheese and broil the top for a few min, with the hollandaise sauce will broil up nice also. enjoy the calorie induced coma!

WE ARE CANADIAN..... PRIME MINISTER POUTINE!
AMERICANS TRYING CANADIAN FOOD FOR THE FIRST TIME!

HOCKEY PUCK POUTINE!
edit on 3-2-2015 by Chefspicy because: HOCKEY PUCK POUTINE

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You need to stop worrying so much about what something *looks* like. Instead think about what the components taste like and think to yourself about whether or not those tastes/textures seem like a good fit

THIS. Best food advice ever!
I would star that post more if it was possible

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Now y'all have to bring the grits up a notch by breading them and deep frying them...yummy.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chefspicy
my favorite poutine
BREAKFAST POUTINE

FRENCH FRIES, CUBED HASH BROWNS, OR MASHED POTATOES.... FRIES MUST BE DEEP FRIED TO GIVE MAXIMUM CRISPNESS AND TEXTURE, THIS IS A MUST WITH POUTINE AS FRYS GET SOGGY AND THAT CAN BE A BIT GROSS.
PAN SCRAMBLE 2 EGGS
FRESH BACON BITS /SAUSAGE OR CUBED TUPIE HAM COOKED.
FRESH CHIVES, CHOPPED FINE.
HOMEMADE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
5 YR OLD CANADIAN CHEDDAR CHEESE GRATED & APPLEWOOD SMOKED GOUDA CHEESE

large bowl or plate add frys, eggs,chives, meat of choice

now the final step is of choice is it sauce than cheese or cheese than sauce.. its all preference.. myself i like a crusty toping of cheese on my poutine , its a texture thing for me. but some people like the cheese really stringy and mixed with the sauce. so its all about how you want it. myself i would put Sauce than Cheese and broil the top for a few min, with the hollandaise sauce will broil up nice also. enjoy the calorie induced coma!

This sounds so damn good, you just blew my mind!

I'm not sure about the eggs, but then again, I wasn't sure about the basic poutine w/ just fries, curds & gravy, either. How wrong I was with that one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join