It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the Red Army...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Hi guys,

well the title is not literally but I wanted to share a video I found on youtube.

WWII Era Tanks on Route to Ukraine?`

The video shows numerours T-34/85 and SU-100 Tank Destroyers (Both WWII Era Tanks) on a transport train in modern Russia (?). The author of the video claims, that they are on route to Ukraine, but there is no proof of that. I'm really surprised that Russia seems to have them standing around in some Depot, they look really well maintained and in good working order. I would have guessed that Russia could sent T-55 and T-72 in masses, but T-34 and SU-100 got me surprised.

So what's your opinion on this?
Why are they shipping these old tanks, I don't think these are really useful in a modern combat theater, let alone in an urban environment...
edit on 3/2/2015 by Talliostro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   
makes sense... after the cold war, all they could do with their arsenals was store them.. 50 years later ,if they were stored correctly they should still work after a bit of maintenance... its a good idea to waste them... there old and ww2 tech but can still take out a tank or two!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Talliostro

Like the translation of the highest comment shows, they are probably for victory parades.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Yeah that makes more sense then fielding them in an actual war. I have to say (from a history interested point) that it pleases me how Russia maintains these old beasts of burden. The 70-years victory parade is right around the corner and to acuatally show so many WWII-era tanks on parade is a nice touch.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Any heavy armor is useful, especially the Tank Destroyers. I would imagine they are running out of old heavy equipment and are reaching the bottom of the Surplus Barrel to ship to Ukraine. They are great at helping with guerrilla warfare in cities, blasting out sniper nests and such.

But we all know that Russia isn't sending any equipment into Ukraine!
These are private tanks that patriotic Russians bought. Where they drive them who knows?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
They would be caught red handed, when theses old tanks are spotted in Ukraine. I don't think anybody is this stupid.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
OP

Do you know what I just saw on RT

Kiev launched at separatists a humongous ballistic missile that would have hit the city like a Mini Nuke

Luckily Separatists shot it down with anti ballistic weapons

Tell me one single reason they shouldn't take any and all tanks they can get from Russia ?

If you want war to go only one way, then perhaps you don't know what is war.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ExitOptional48

You do realise that Russia Today is a propaganda mouthpiece sponsored by Putin's political party? Well obviously you don't or you would realise you just got fed a load of bs that you not only believed but repeated! Lol.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

If the Tochka-U was loaded with fragmentation it sure would have made a big impact (lethal radius more than 200 m (660 ft)).

I don`t think the Separatists or Russia wants to defeat the crumbling Ukrainian army at this moment, while they can do it now, it would plunge the whole of Ukraine in a civil war.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Well, the one single reason is:
WWII-Era Tanks in seperatists hands could only mean that Russia is supporting them with weapons. Since Russia always says they don't support them with weapons, this would be the 100% proof that Russia is lying. And this "civil"/"proxy" war could get into an fullscale war noone really wants. (Well I dont wish for it, it's right at the doorstep of Europe...)

And yeah I don't care what RT is reporting they are the russian propaganda outlet while CNN and many western media outlets do the same for "us" living in the EU or US. Can't take their news at face value anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Talliostro

It`s not even debatable if Russia is supporting them with weapons, anyone can see that looking at the many videos to be found online.

It`s only debatable if Russia is actual fighting directly (they give intel and military planning for sure, just like NATO is doing).

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Forget about the T-34s and S-100s, missing parts are the Mig-21s and Mig-23s in the hands of the rebels. A shell of such brand Migs come at $100K a piece. Kremlin should get these to the rebels via the private citizens and finish off this war quickly. Good for both the parties and people on both the sides.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
makes sense... after the cold war, all they could do with their arsenals was store them.. 50 years later ,if they were stored correctly they should still work after a bit of maintenance... its a good idea to waste them... there old and ww2 tech but can still take out a tank or two!

Makes perfect sense, because as you stated earlier: that if we let that Putin twat add Crimea to his 401K, he wouldn't go after Ukraine.

# 364

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talliostro
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Yeah that makes more sense then fielding them in an actual war. I have to say (from a history interested point) that it pleases me how Russia maintains these old beasts of burden. The 70-years victory parade is right around the corner and to acuatally show so many WWII-era tanks on parade is a nice touch.

America does the same thing.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

true, but in the same quantities? I would say no

Q

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Ummm...yeah. A few 60+ year old airframes would surely provide the decisive technical edge that will allow the rebel faction to totally steamroll the Ukrainian military within days of delivery.

What?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

They would be caught red handed, when theses old tanks are spotted in Ukraine. I don't think anybody is this stupid.

Of course nobody is that stupid.
But that wont stop the nazis running Ukraine and their Western sponsors claiming such stupid things.
Wouldn't be the first time and wont be the last time.

The sad thing isn't that stupid claims are made, it's that people are stupid enough to believe the stupid claims.
This is a result of all the propaganda we are flooded with, it's like a giant hollywood production, and the fact people in the West have been dumbed down for so long now most people struggle to think for them selves and think outside the box(literally outside the idiot box).

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   

a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

true, but in the same quantities? I would say no

Old stockpiles of Soviet made weapons have been going from other former Soviet states to the Ukraine also, but that`s not something which you will hear in the news.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
there are tank graveyards in Russia, stacked two high, post war 'modern' tanks, some still having the apleaqae armour still fitted, came across the photos a couple of years ago, had a clearout last year, should have kept them!

top topics

join