It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another thread on the YF-24 (or rather: "what's in a name?")

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Hmm, Boeing lost the JSF competition with their X-32/F-32, but the dating for the YF-24 would give it a mid-to-late 90s fly date. Be pretty much impossible to keep something secret on a flat-top 24/7 and the JSF program was ongoing during the supposed time-frame of the YF-24...and still secret mainly due to politics, hmmm? I don't know what else to say except that all this speculation we've all been doing on various projects for the last 25 years is getting frustrating, I'd expected more to be out there by now in the public domain.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnthejedi24
Hmm, Boeing lost the JSF competition with their X-32/F-32, but the dating for the YF-24 would give it a mid-to-late 90s fly date. Be pretty much impossible to keep something secret on a flat-top 24/7 and the JSF program was ongoing during the supposed time-frame of the YF-24...and still secret mainly due to politics, hmmm? I don't know what else to say except that all this speculation we've all been doing on various projects for the last 25 years is getting frustrating, I'd expected more to be out there by now in the public domain.

Go to Lockheed Martin skunk works website.....brand new marketing photo released. ....shows the outline of what appears to be their LRS platform....surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet on any topic. Seems NG isnt only one playing "ohh look at this"

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigTrain

originally posted by: johnthejedi24

Go to Lockheed Martin skunk works website.....brand new marketing photo released. ....shows the outline of what appears to be their LRS platform....surprised nobody here has mentioned it yet on any topic. Seems NG isnt only one playing "ohh look at this"

where?

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Yeah I looked too and couldn't see it. I'll go re look. Would be cool if there is.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

Do you mean this? I believe this is their Super Sentinel UCLASS submission.
www.lockheedmartin.com...
Might be ready for prime time? Arrested landing demonstrations soon.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Lockheed is offering the Sea Ghost for UCLASS. It's not a Super Sentinel though.
edit on 2/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I was under the impression they were related. The image above is their UCLASS submission, whatever it may be called.
edit on 22-2-2015 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Sea Ghost is a clean sheet design. It uses a little of the Sentinel technology to keep costs down, but it's not related.

posted on Feb, 22 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ok got you. Then the promotional pic is of Sea Ghost.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Northrop NATF. Shweet design.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

with all these new platforms coming out, I wonder what they look like in the UV spectrum? I know certain seekers and other optical devices will be looking in the UV spectrums for acquiring there targets.

As most of us here have been under the glow of a black light, we know that UV light is a strange beast and things that look dull or non existent under normal light and even more so under the IR spectrums, GLOW big time.

With all the composites and what not on the skins and else where on these air craft I would be willing to bet they glow something fierce.

And with all the talk of the green and yellow things flying systems that mess up night vision systems I wonder if these UV seekers are an answer to IR counter measures and detection systems.

Plasma puts off allot of UV emissions. so if you had UV detection systems in forward observation posts you might be able to spot something slow and high or HIGH and FAST or even just flying over head if you were looking in the right spectrums.

I wonder if the F-35 and others have compensated for this type of detection. I know the F-16 has nothing for UV counter measures.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The YF-24 being a competitor for the NATF competition would certainly make sense, and it would satisfy the "we're not hearing about it because of politics" explanation for why it's still classified to a T.

I could imagine a timeline in the 90's of: ~1992: F-22 is selected while the dedicated NATF variant gets canned ---> Navy brass bristles at the notion that the USAF is getting an F-15 replacement while the F-14 is going to be replaced by rhinos and the JSF ---> Navy, skeptical of the JSF plans, pushes for a second NATF competition to produce a stealth air-superiority fighter for the carriers---> ~1997-8: The YF-24 faces off against the YF-25, maybe at NAS China Lake ---> Mission bloat in the JSF program makes the naval variant a must to absorb the costs of developing the VTOL variant, and the NATF project gets killed again to sell more JSF's and sweeten the deal for L-M and Boeing who are having serious questions about the JSF program due to their teething issues with the X-32 and X-35.

That would certainly make sense given the USN's well-professed "love" for the F-35.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby

The YF-24 being a competitor for the NATF competition would certainly make sense, and it would satisfy the "we're not hearing about it because of politics" explanation for why it's still classified to a T.

I could imagine a timeline in the 90's of: ~1992: F-22 is selected while the dedicated NATF variant gets canned ---> Navy brass bristles at the notion that the USAF is getting an F-15 replacement while the F-14 is going to be replaced by rhinos and the JSF ---> Navy, skeptical of the JSF plans, pushes for a second NATF competition to produce a stealth air-superiority fighter for the carriers---> ~1997-8: The YF-24 faces off against the YF-25, maybe at NAS China Lake ---> Mission bloat in the JSF program makes the naval variant a must to absorb the costs of developing the VTOL variant, and the NATF project gets killed again to sell more JSF's and sweeten the deal for L-M and Boeing who are having serious questions about the JSF program due to their teething issues with the X-32 and X-35.

That would certainly make sense given the USN's well-professed "love" for the F-35.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3

Plasma puts off allot of UV emissions.

How much?

How much energy is there in exhaust? (lots, all that combustion!)
How much in the plasma? (much less)

How much does UV scatter in atmosphere? (quite a bit, Rayleigh and all that)

I wonder if the F-35 and others have compensated for this type of detection. I know the F-16 has nothing for UV counter measures.

UV is hard and not generally applicable.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

I think that's our answer.

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

It's very real. Just classified still.

From the pdf file that somehow leaked out it is the F-35 in every aspect with added thrust vectoring. It is the same dam plane!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

From the pdf file that somehow leaked out it is the F-35 in every aspect with added thrust vectoring. It is the same dam plane!!!

It looks nothing like the 35

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have constantly defended the F-35 but after reading what I just read this whole program needs to be sold to Israel and Britain. It cost the same as the dam Raptor did and now it cant even be fueled from a standard fuel truck without it overheating and shutting down on the tarmac or catching fire.

Their moronic solution was to paint the fuel trucks white. That's just in the U.S., Not gonna work in the desert of the middle east and they might as well paint a big bulls eye on the fuel trucks now. How about Lockheed fix the dam plane?

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

They are a sorry bunch of plane manufactures anymore. I pray Northrop gets the next contract just because of the turds the rest have given us of late.

Why the hell buy a plane that is SLOWER, not even stealth with a decent bomb load and riddled with constant problems and cost the same as a twin engine Raptor?? The Marines need a Vtol fighter like they need a whole in the head. Congress is out of their dam minds and now the Navy is starting to get mad at the turd they pushed to get.

This will be the ruin of our air dominance until it is cancelled. The F-16 will fly circles around this thing and carry more weapons at the same time.
edit on 23-2-2015 by Patriotsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

originally posted by: Patriotsrevenge

It looks nothing like the 35

I suggest you look at page 23!! www.scribd.com...

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join