It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another thread on the YF-24 (or rather: "what's in a name?")

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CiTrus90
...and while the general arrengement of the design has been kept the same, we can clearly say that they're two completely different aircrafts.

Not quite.

There's a huge number of similarities between the aircraft, as there should be. Why waste millions (or billions) designing a model for competition and then waste more millions (or billions) completely redesigning that model once its been contracted?

That said, most of the alterations were done beneath the skin, to things most of us will never get to lay eyes on. There were also some airframe modifications made. But it's still largely the same.
edit on ppm228053204 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Pants3204

Correct. Even the f35 was changed after the x planes. As did have blue and the f117.

I'll give you guys a hint then I'll say no more... The yf24 wasnt even an air force project...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Do you want to say that demonstrators that were tested at Groom during the late 90s, still flying to day today?

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Barnalby

They're still around. I've seen one over Wyoming several times. The -24 was an actual competition entry.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpeedFanatic
Do you want to say that demonstrators that were tested at Groom during the late 90s, still flying to day today?

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Barnalby

They're still around. I've seen one over Wyoming several times. The -24 was an actual competition entry.

i highly doubt the yf-24 is

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: B2StealthBomber

I pm'ed you.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Was there ever any major changes to the F22 EMDs and F/A-22s to the Raptor we know now? Like different wing configuration or a tailless design, maybe even go with a delta shape like the "Strike Raptor" idea?

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear

Was there ever any major changes to the F22 EMDs and F/A-22s to the Raptor we know now? Like different wing configuration or a tailless design, maybe even go with a delta shape like the "Strike Raptor" idea?

As far as i know, the EMD and production aircraft are the same. The big change was from the YF-22 to the F-22A. Now the X-44 MANTA was proposed as a tailless, delta-wing knock off of the raptor. But i dont think it was actually built.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

There were minor changes.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

There is only one thing i can think of in the white, in which something like a Model-24 could have been actually developed by Boeing to test a concept...

Four calves. Just take one of them, though, please.

And i don't think it was a competition.

And i can only see it as a twin engined plane if one of the two was dead weight for most of the flight.

And i regret the day i decided to start looking into black programs, because i surely lost years of sleep and part of my sanity in the process...

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
None the less, thanks to anyone who is contributing with his experience to the discussion. I appreciate it much.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CiTrus90

There is only one thing i can think of in the white, in which something like a Model-24 could have been actually developed by Boeing to test a concept...

Four calves. Just take one of them, though, please.

And i don't think it was a competition.

And i can only see it as a twin engined plane if one of the two was dead weight for most of the flight.

And i regret the day i decided to start looking into black programs, because i surely lost years of sleep and part of my sanity in the process...

It was more than a concept. it was a competition, and it did have two engines

edit: theres a very good reason why its still classified and it has to do with Boeing itself and a lot of freaking politics...
edit on 5-2-2015 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135
a reply to: Pants3204

I'll give you guys a hint then I'll say no more... The yf24 wasnt even an air force project...

I was really wanting to post that, but held back..Glad you did instead!

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Which confuses everyone, since it was flown by an Air Force pilot.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

My guess is navy.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Zaphod58

My guess is navy.

Perhaps we are looking at this?..

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

Looks sexy to me

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

edit: theres a very good reason why its still classified and it has to do with Boeing itself and a lot of freaking politics...

If it was a competition does that mean that there is also a YF-25?
I mean if the project was serious enough that one of the entries got a (Y)F designation I would venture a guess that the competitor also got one. Same as the 22 and 23.
If not and the winner of the competition got a (Y)F designation at a later stage it surely must have been more than just a concept study with one or two prototypes. However seeing that it was probably a Navy project and an aircraft of that size would probably be carrier capable it would be rather hard to hide a whole series of secret aircraft flying of Navy flattops.

If it was a competition what could it have been designed as replacement for? Only a handfull of Navy platforms around at that time that could be it. I don't have enough knowledge of Navy platforms, but somebody with more knowledge could probably make an educated guess

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: spaceman42

Perhaps they were designed to.operate off of flat tops, not be stationed in the carrier?

Or even better, keep one or two stealth craft in the bowels of the ships unloaded only as needed to clear a corridor through defenses for a strike group?..

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

I've always liked that design but no that's not it.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: spaceman42

If it was a competition does that mean that there is also a YF-25?
I mean if the project was serious enough that one of the entries got a (Y)F designation I would venture a guess that the competitor also got one. Same as the 22 and 23.
If not and the winner of the competition got a (Y)F designation at a later stage it surely must have been more than just a concept study with one or two prototypes. However seeing that it was probably a Navy project and an aircraft of that size would probably be carrier capable it would be rather hard to hide a whole series of secret aircraft flying of Navy flattops.

If it was a competition what could it have been designed as replacement for? Only a handfull of Navy platforms around at that time that could be it. I don't have enough knowledge of Navy platforms, but somebody with more knowledge could probably make an educated guess

I can't comment on the yf25 theory except to say that I never physically refueled the competitor. But if you want my opinion then yes I'm almost 100% sure there were at least two aircraft. I wouldn't jump the gun and call it the yf 25 though. Lest not forget the JSF competition gave us the x-32 and the x-35. So not necessairly sequencial

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join