It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Australian) Gun Crime Would Be Lower If We Followed Example Of Nation With Highest Gun Crime

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

And I firmly believe they would do their crimes with whatever they could find, be it a gun, a knife, or a herring.

Herrings are not the ideal tool for violent actions, they are better suited to cutting down tall trees.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

I don't fear any of that either. If there ever was a case of me needing to fear a situation, I'd feel much better knowing I have a 45ACP and 11 shots to protect me, rather than wishing I was able to have one.

Thankfully, the chances a situation like that happening in Australia is remote.

Perhaps you have a bad area you would rather avoid. It's like that.

Sure, every country has it's bad areas, except I would still walk through the ones in Australia (if I REALLY had to) knowing the chances of me getting shot were still quite slim.

The other day, I was confronted with 6 or 7 beer cans that threatened me. I manned up and shot the piss out of them. I enjoyed the testosterone rush. Does that make me a bad person?

Not at all, I used to shoot coins with my grandfather and we used to make bets on who could get the coin to flick higher in the air. The difference is we used a registered gun that was owned by a licensed person both of which/whom were fully trackable and accountable to authorities. I live safe in the knowledge that in Australia it is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder for a crim or undesirable to get their hands on a gun than it is in America - where one can walk into a friggin Walmart FFS and grab themselves any gun they want.

Oh come on man....I wasn't even going to post anything....but this is too much.

There are many restrictions.

I want a m249 saw, even as a veteran with absolutely no criminal history, even though I have been thoroughly trained on the weapon and its safe use, even though I carried one for almost 2 years on patrols, I can't have one.

Hyperbole man.....church it up a little to make it sound good, but keep it in reason.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My apologies, I was unaware all guns in the U.S. also had to be registered. It's a step in the right direction, but clearly not enough.

All I can do is keep reiterating that gun related crimes plummeted after we instituted gun licensing restrictions. It's a proven fact here that guns are really hard to get illegally in most places. I personally wouldn't have a clue where to get an illegal gun in Australia, and I don't know too many people who do.

If I want a gun I have to apply to the Police who do a background check, then I take a short course and a test and sign a form stating that I will keep all guns and ammo in a special gunsafe that is subject to checks by Police should they so desire (which happens rarely to my understanding, not one of my mates who own guns has had the coppers turn up to look). Then I take my license to a gun shop and buy one. Yes, we don't have access to guns like AR15's and such, but who honestly needs them if the purpose is target or game shooting?

Anyway, the result is plummeting gun crime and far fewer illegal guns floating around ready to be used to shoot up a school or a mall.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
At the end of the day gins in the usa are part of the usa culture.
Just like cups of tea is for us brits and shrimps on a barbie for the aussies.
While I don't get gun culture I respect the reasons why usaers have it.

Wait the whole " shrimp on the barbie " thing is true?

Stfu....I always thought that was just some bs to be funny.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And I firmly believe they would do their crimes with whatever they could find, be it a gun, a knife, or a herring.

Herrings are not the ideal tool for violent actions, they are better suited to cutting down tall trees.

I stand humbly corrected. Perhaps it was a bad choice of weapon. Having been attacked with a herring at one point in my life, I have some mental scars that will take time to heal. One day at a time.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

You must not be paying attention. We DO understand. I am truly glad your gun control is working for you. If your opinion is the same as all other members of your country, then all the better.

But, here in America, once you remove your rose colored glasses, you have to realize that the gun laws are not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is bad people doing bad things. And those bad people usually don't use registered guns to do their bad stuff with. The people who have legal registered guns are not the same ones shooting up other people.
(look into that if you like)

We have bad guys too you know, but most of them don't have easy access to guns. That's the difference.

When you can eliminate all crime, you will be able to control most anything you like. But, while crime still exists, there will be those who wish to protect themselves from it.

It makes it a hell of a lot easier to defend yourself when the attacker doesn't have a gun. You can run away, or fight back, against knives, clubs and all manner of weapons but its awfully hard to duck a hail of bullets flying at you.

A man who ambushed and murdered a debt collector with a machete is jailed for at least two decades by an Adelaide court.

link

Why don't you have outrage for machete control? It seems you need more laws to govern the sale and distribution of this mass murder tool. Or, was the issue here more with the dumbass holding the machete than it was the big knife itself?

Sigh, how did I know the "but the bad guys have access to knives and machetes" argument would surface.

That is ONE ISOLATED INCIDENT. I don't see the news filled with hundreds of seperate knife/machete/club/whatever attacks yet I do see the news filled with gun-related crime coming out of America. You can hardly compare the two.

I am not saying we don't have more gun violence than you, but we do have a couple more people here also,

Even Per Capita the numbers are significantly different.

so given the odds, more lunatics too. And I firmly believe they would do their crimes with whatever they could find, be it a gun, a knife, or a herring.

If only the Sandy Hook killer, or the Batman killer, or the Columbine killers had only had knives (or herrings) instead of powerful guns they had easy access to purchase. I wonder how many of those kids would be alive today were that the case?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
OK peoples, I'm not trying to be rude, or deflect the topic or run away or anything but it's 4am here and I should have been in bed hours ago - in fact I'm holding my eyelids open with matchsticks at the moment - so it's beddybyes time for me.

I'll continue this upon the morn, good night ladies and gents.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

My apologies, I was unaware all guns in the U.S. also had to be registered. It's a step in the right direction, but clearly not enough.

If you truly look into what some of the biggest issues here in the USA are, it isn't that we need more laws, it's that we need the current laws ENFORCED. At this point in time, you are free to cross our border as an illegal, then apply and receive many benefits to help you live comfortably, all while having an identification card listing you as an ILLEGAL alien. There are many other examples of laws loosing their meaning, but that one kind of personifies my point.

(and I don't think the illegal aliens coming here are to blame, it's the idiotic government that allows and even encourages it to happen)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder
Wait the whole " shrimp on the barbie " thing is true?

Stfu....I always thought that was just some bs to be funny.

Actually yeah we do cook them on a BBQ sometimes, and we call them prawns not shrimp. The whole "Shrimp on the barbie" thing was started by Paul Hogan (Croc. Dundee) in an American tourism ad for Australia back in the 80's. He called them 'shrimp' because Americans didn't really know what a prawn was at the time.

It grates on Aussies nerves to no end hearing it said lol.

Personally I can't stand seafood so I've never had a 'prawn off the barbie', but I'm told it's fantastic

Anyways, goodnight!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

If only the Sandy Hook killer, or the Batman killer, or the Columbine killers had only had knives (or herrings) instead of powerful guns they had easy access to purchase. I wonder how many of those kids would be alive today were that the case?

Yes, and if you get back to one of my earlier points, why did that kind of attack start with Columbine? We had guns long before that. Hell, we even had bad people before that. But when the killers were immortalized by the media, I think it made an entire generation of different thought. Detached from feeling remorse thought. I wish I know what caused it or how to stop it, but I don't. I just know that it's best to think things through a bit rather than accept what you are told to think. (as with the current gun phobias that exist)

Good night and don't let the scorpions, or spiders, or snakes, any other killers, bite.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

A little education is a wonderful thing.

The names "shrimp" and "prawn" are often used interchangeably. Understandably so. Shrimp and prawns have tons in common. They are both crustaceans, they both have 10 legs, they are both found in salt and fresh water, and they both live near the floor of whatever body of water they inhabit.

Yet, biologically speaking, they are different animals. Things labeled prawns are often larger, but aren't necessarily true prawns. And plenty of shrimp aren't shrimpy in size at all. Want to get really confused? Some "prawns"—such as spot prawns—are biologically shrimp, and some "shrimp"—notably ridgeback shrimp—are technically prawns. So what is the difference?

Shrimp have branching gills, a side plate that overlays segments in front and behind, and carry their eggs outside of their bodies beneath their tails.

Prawns have lameller gills, side plates that overlap tile-like from front to back, and carry their eggs inside their bodies near their tails.

link

Just showing that knowledge is power.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Not really caring about the prawn/shrimp thing. I was just explaining where the term came from to an interested party - I didn't realise that was going to reflect on my level of education or my ability to conduct a conversation about gun laws in America.

Should I rename the thread to include the word prawn or shrimp?

Maybe I'll start a hashtag #shrimpprawn, closely followed by another called #IDGAF

Good night and don't let the scorpions, or spiders, or snakes, any other killers, bite.

That's what fly spray and our resident Huntsman spider are there to take care of
Either that or a rolled up magazine.....

And yes, I'm really going to bed now......putting down the iPad in 3....2....1.....
edit on 3/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Bed sounds like the ticket for you. That or eat a snickers.
My post wasn't meant to imply you weren't smart, just trying to expand your knowledge. Like when Augustus let you know that we have to register our firearms here too.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Yeah sorry lol, that was intended to be a funny post but it came out all wrong
I should have been asleep hours ago.....

Btw I'm in bed now, turns out the IPad is portable.....who'd have thunk

Cheerio

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Wait a second America doesn't have the highest gun crime rate. That goes to Honduras! Follow their example!

Although we do have the highest guns per capita. Oddly enough the countries that have the worst gun crime are in close proximity to the US or have natural resources sought by 1st world countries hmmm... Middle East, Africa, and South America.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The US has " proper licensing and registration", and proper people follow them.

We can't legislate stupidy, mental illness, and criminals that don't give a squat about "proper licensing and registration"

a reply to: biggilo

Nobody is suggesting to BAN guns altogether in the U.S., merely install proper licensing and registration in order to own one. As is evidenced here in Australia is really does have a significant effect on the availability of guns to those whom would use them for nefarious deeds.

edit on 7-2-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

My understanding of crime statistics in Australia is that gun crime has been supplanted by an ever increasing number of lesser violent crimes. I haven't looked in some time though.

Guns aren't hard to get. If I can get gunpowder in Australia I could have a simple firearm with 20 bucks at the hardware store.

Let alone if I have access to a machine shop and or lathe, and I don't even have experience or plans, but I'm sure I could mock something up.

It's just a different mentality. In America, some of us, still feel like some things are worth dying for. Like not getting raped.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Well if the civilian population doesn't need an ar 15 then why do the cops need them?

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tiberius10721

A lot of people on this site do not know that when our Union was formed that some of the states refused to join it unless the second amendment along with the bill of rights was included in the constitution . This is historical fact so by having our gun rights that original agreement is being kept!
Now for all the people who say it's impossible for us citizens to overthrow our govt if it gets to tyrannical because the have tanks planes and an army then here is something to think about. It's the civilian population that provides the food ,fuel,and ammo to the military there are over 300 million guns in the hands of the civilian population our standing army is only a few 100 thousand people! Now explain to me why would we as a civilian population give up that kind of power over our govt just because there are 12 thousand gun related deaths out of a population of almost 400 million people ? As Spock would say giving up that kind of power would be quiet illogical the needs of the many outway the needs of the few!😄😄😄

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join