It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Real time" video of light traveling from our Sun to Jupiter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I've always had this question: If two objects are traveling *towards* each other at the speed of light, wouldn't their speed relative to each other be 2x the speed of light?

Conversely, if two objects are traveling next to each other at the "speed of light" then wouldn't their relative speed be zero?

Another, if I leave Earth at the speed of light traveling toward a distant star, which is moving away from the Earth at half the speed of light, what is my speed?

Last one, if traveled away from the Sun at the speed of light, would it "disappear" because no light photons from the Sun could reach me?

So I guess the term "speed of light" is what gives me trouble - speed relative to what? It would have to be relative to some fixed object, right?
edit on 5-2-2015 by LanceCorvette because: To add "Another ..."

edit on 5-2-2015 by LanceCorvette because: add "last one"

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LanceCorvette

If two objects are traveling towards each other at the speed of light, each is still traveling the speed of light. Their speed relative to each other is not the basis of their speed. The basis of their speed must be compared to a "stationary" object. Obviously there is nothing truly stationary in the universe, but since the "speed of light" is an earthly concept, we would use the earth as that relative object.

That should pretty much answer all of your questions.

Regarding your question if the sun would disappear...yes actually. Just as a sound would disappear if you were to travel as fast as the speed of sound. Photons travel in waves just like everything else. Without a minimum frequency of waves hitting their target, there is nothing to see.
edit on 5-2-2015 by Battlefresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Battlefresh

If I was traveling at the speed of light and then turned on a flash light in front of me. If a person was watching for my arrival, would he see my light first or would I blind him upon arrival?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Very cool video, thanks for sharing

It makes the speed of light seem so slow!

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

That was one of my major impressions when I watched it as well - I'd always pictured Mercury as being much closer to the sun. Not halfway between Venus and the sun. Watched the vid until after it left earth. Interesting perspective changer, about distance and about the speed of the photons as they move away from their source. Why do they move anyway (photons, light, etc.), what gives them the "push" or energy to go running of at 'the speed of light'? (I sound like a kid asking 'Why is the sky blue?", or "Who made the snow?" or "Why are all the men looking at that lady?"). Why, oh why, do photons need to up and go somewhere quickly.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I think your question would also ask what gives particles their initial spin on the fundamental level?
Mainstream scientists say it was the big bang. The big bang in a frictionless universe..
I have my doubts on a frictionless universe for many reasons. So my search for a new idea/theory led me to this site and this dudes crazy thoughts. Im not saying hes right, im actually sure hes wrong in some parts but the beginning of his fractalholographic universe idea is truely mind opening.

holofractal.net...

I dont know if this theory has already been discussed here at ATS, if not then i look forward to others thoughts on this dudes ideas.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: iFloButta

Thanks. I won't look at the link now, but it sounds very interesting (haven't checked the search function if this has been discussed here). Glad you joined up, people with scientific interests are very welcome here, and we have one of the best posters on things like exoplanets, posters like space writer Jim Oberg, and others who you may enjoy. Welcome, and good to meet you.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Thank you for the warm welcome, id be happy to check them out.

I should have included a quick answer to your question, and i tried several times typing and erasing but i would just end up scewing the theory because its peiced like a jigsaw so only getting a few points across really doesnt do justice.
Id appreciate your opinion, maybe itd be worth bringing up here on the forums.
Nice to meet you too btw

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
I had to fast forward the vid. The tu du du song was grating after a minute, and well you know, light being the slow poke it is barely got to mercury before I was fidgeting back and forth in my chair and going. "Are we there yet?"

Cool video either way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join