It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowd Sourced ATS Spy Satellite

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I was looking at micro satellite projects and realized wow they are getting within the affordable range for crowd source funding. Here is an example from 2013: Crowd Sourced Satellite

Then my thoughts wondered and I thought what if the ATS community sponsored a crowd sourced sponsored intelligence data acquiring micro spy satellite project and launched it? Would that be a great headline grabbing moment for The Above Network? If members initiated a first of it's kind private member controlled micro spy satellite in orbit and live streaming to a user addressable UPI. The Network could publish an SDK and members could program apps that delivered and distributed the live streaming data. Any thoughts ATS?

edit on 3-2-2015 by machineintelligence because: limited experience with English Language syntax

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
If this project ever takes off (yes, pun intended) can we nickname the little guy the ATS White Knight?

I would get such a total kick out of that on so many levels that it's unreal.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I am curious. Why White Knight? I feel I should know this but I am not making the connection?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Oh, there's a theory running around out there about a 13,000 year old satellite of unknown origin referred to as the Black Knight. Just thought it would make for an interesting connection to the alternative discussion angle and a cute tribute. Kinda like naming boats after affectionate premises.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

I got you know. Of course I have heard about the Black Knight object. I just did not make the connection. To elaborate I was thinking if it was started by ATS, and access was restricted to members it might make for a news worthy member drive / revenue stream for the Above Network. It would just be very cool and interesting for maintaining member and public interest and would provide something way above NLBS or Live Radio. Real time feeds from space delivered to members is way out there in my opinion.
edit on 3-2-2015 by machineintelligence because: limited experience with English Language syntax

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The question is . How much . Also ATS has world wide membership , where would it be placed .

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Sorry to go all full throttle but "data collection satellite" sounds so much better than "spy satellite".

I know it's semantics and all that, but spies are usually frowned upon.

"Data Collection for Analytic Hobbyists" seems more appropriate for this type of endeavor....as long as we aren't going to hijack private communications for less than nice things I don't have a problem with the idea. No blackmail type stuff or sniffing around in things we shouldn't be.

Edit to Add :

Just to clarify for the record I'm not in that particular field.
I just think data collection machines in space are pretty cool and neat.

P.S. - Did I mention I'm also slightly and unbearably stupid?

edit on 2/3/15 by GENERAL EYES because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
General idea of costs.
www.kickstarter.com...

PocketQubes are tiny satellites which are small enough to fit in your Pocket. They are 5cm cubes and you can stack them up to create larger satellites, for example 1.5 PocketQubes or 1.5p and 2.5p. Why go small? They are cheapest fully functional class of satellite to launch.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Uh in space?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
I was looking at micro satellite projects and realized wow they are getting within the affordable range for crowd source funding. Here is an example from 2013:

Speaking of which, I see a lot of "it will be" and "it is planned that" but not a lot about how well the ArduSats actually worked. In fact, it's been a few minutes and I haven't found anything.

Did they work at all, or have I not had enough coffee to find the results?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that the EN ESS AY and Dept. of State, SEE I AY and EFF BEE I wouldn't like non-government parties having satellites in orbit? Just think of the thousands upon thousands of reasons they could say it is a "threat to national security"...

obviously I wish that weren't the case, but I think a crowd-sourced satellite project would get snuffed out fairly quickly.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Why do you type NSA like "EN ESS AY "?

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

FRAKK ME!!!!

I'd not only cough up cash for this, but I'd also offer my abilities as a database developer to boot!

AWESOME IDEA

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

FRAKK ME!!!!

I'd not only cough up cash for this, but I'd also offer my abilities as a database developer to boot!

AWESOME IDEA

Greetings:
Count us in for cash and whatever else we can cover on the LIST.

Peace Love Light
tfw
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
ARKYD: A Space Telescope for Everyone This project is the kind of thing I am talking about. We might even be able to do as these guys are doing and piggyback on a Planetary Resources launch.

edit on 3-2-2015 by machineintelligence because: Syntax challanges

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Perhaps "Hobbyist Earth Reconnaissance Satellite" [HERS] is better than Spy Satellite.
I used the term spy satellite because that was the name that came to mind at the time.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
because (I doubt it even helps but I do it just in case) whatever software those monitoring agencies use probably pick up keywords i.e. alphabet agency names, so by typing out the pronunciation people can understand what I'm talking about without being flagged in the keyword software they use a reply to: Xelor

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam
Here is a little Sat that NASA launched.

Something on this scale or slightly larger should be doable.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
As long as it broadcasts REM's "Its The End of The World..." constantly, I'd be down with it.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

That is a good question and one that would need to be decided by membership. Perhaps we pick the most popular and if it works then we could do another in another member picked location.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join