It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Medina has license plate cameras that INSTANTLY alert police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be nice to have a civilian version of this?

Scan the license plate on a cop car, find out it's being driven by Darren Wilson, get the heck out of there before he kills someone.

Scan the license plate of the car leaving the brothel. Hey, isn't that my congressman?

Scan the license plate of that car that just cut you off. I know where you live now, buddy. Start getting estimates for a new paint job.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I take more issue with the data being stored and that there is no real oversight of these systems. Also that you know darn well they share the information with other agencies.

Considering all the data breaches large companies have, I seriously doubt this system is all that secure.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

As opposed to it being stored permanently on the vehicle registration database, which is freely accesible to most agencies anyway?

In America, do you have to inform a company (DVLA here in Britain) that you have purchased a car so you are the registered owner?

That information has probably already passed more hands than it will with this new system.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

As opposed to it being stored permanently on the vehicle registration database, which is freely accesible to most agencies anyway?

By data I meant the locations where I travel. I don't at all mind having a license plate that ties back to me as the registered owner. I don't believe that is freely accessible to most agencies, and I don't want it to be.

In America, do you have to inform a company (DVLA here in Britain) that you have purchased a car so you are the registered owner?

We have to inform a State agency when we take ownership of a vehicle. My American brain associates company with private business, but it may be the same thing. We call it the Department Of Licensing (or pain in the ass, or horrible line, or why the F can't these people get things done faster). So since I'm in WA State, it's the WA DOL. So your plate and vehicle identification number, license, and home address are all in the system when a cop runs your plate. Also since I am a concealed pistol license holder that will be readily apparent to an officer pulling me over (but that isn't true in all states). In WA when I am pulled over and carrying a gun I am not legally required to inform the officer unless he specifically asks. I still do, just in case. I want to say I've been pulled over three times with a pistol in my pants, informed the officer, and once it was requested that I give my concealed pistol license along with vehicle registration, proof of insurance and drivers license.

A cop that runs your plate, and then decides to run the drivers license of the registered owner will get a criminal history of the registered owner. I don't have a problem with that at all.

My problem with this system is that it's probably incredibly insecure, and easily manipulated. I also don't think anyone needs to know where I drive and save that information.

The system is easily abused. Let's say some disgruntled cop or even civilian gets access to this system and inserts a flag on an innocent persons license plate. Huge headache. Let's get all conspiracy and say someone is murdered, and someone wants a patsy. Boom, make one of these license plate reporting things show a certain vehicle registered to someone at a certain time that corresponds.

I don't think that it's OK to record and store every person's comings and goings. I worry that someday everything I do is going to be recorded and saved from the moment I walk out my door. There is actually no legal right to privacy in the US, but I think that should change.

Every little step taken is a foot in the door. Do you want people to be able to read intimate thoughts that you share with loved ones?

You did nothing wrong, so you shouldn't worry.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I was wondering how long before this started showing up, with many states having them along the roads and highways and many cops having them on their cars, it was only a matter of time before the info was gathered and stored.

I am so glad i live in Montana, Traffic Cameras are illegal to use for tickets and such.
There are some up, but mainly its for road conditions and weather.

They ruled a couple of years ago that they were a invasion of privacy and not allowed, just like the Gov's new drivers licenses with the chip and all that. Montana told the gov to stick it, we were happy with what we had and we would not be switching over.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This technology is in use nationwide, I was pulled over in 2011, in Wisconsin.
I don't consider Wisconsin to be on the cutting edge of technology, so I'd imagine it's use is widespread.

I never like to be that guy who says "old news" but this definitely is.
Fox 6 news

Old or not, still very concerning.

edit on 6-2-2015 by Oaktree because: Needed editin'

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This has been used in the UK for quite some time is it new to America?

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This system or one like it was installed at the entrance of my community about 8 months ago. We never had any problems with home break-ins, but we have had problems with cars being broken into with items stolen. There is a photo record of plates that is kept up to 90 days.

Last month the police apprehended a group that was responsible for some car break-ins here.

Personally I am not worried about such systems. For one I never assumed I had a right to not being photographed in public nor did I assume my car had a right to not be photographed in public. I will quickly change my mind if someone can make a sensible case that this is somehow unconstitutional. Otherwise, I will just take it that this is something that feels like rights are been violated but legally it isn't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join