It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War of the Worlds: They're Already Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

"No one would have believed, in the early years of the 21st century, that our world was being watched by intelligences greater than our own. That as men busied themselves about their various concerns they observed and studied. With infinite complacency men went to and fro about the globe confident of their empire over this world. Yet, across the gulf of space intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic regarded our planet with envious eyes. And slowly and surely drew their plans against us."

=============

Is hollywood trying to tell us something? Who knows? But this looks like a good movie. Hopefully, a little more realistic than Signs (aliens that hate water but pick a world 80% water - pfft). Of course, at the end of the movie Tom Cruise will kick some alien ass and we'll live happily ever after. Does anyone ever doubt that if aliens did decide to take us over that we would be flukked?

The aliens are here and the final battle has begun... (read my sig)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Edit: Guess a link would help eh? www.waroftheworlds.com...

[edit on 12-15-2004 by ShadowHasNoSource]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Actually, I would never submit to overt rule from aliens any more than I would for some stupid human. I follow the laws that make sense and do not hurt another person. Other than that, Free Will reigns supreme. And if aliens ever did come try to take over and humans bow down to overt rule I'm going to be pissed. I'll probably be dead too.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
looks like it can be a good movie, i saw sighns and that movie freaked me out. I just watched a movie called mission to mars on the sci fi channel that was a good movie i was suprised it had a positive out come has any one seen it?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
WOTW is one of my favorite books. All scifi fans MUST read it. It sets up all the archetypes used in later alien-oriented science fiction stories (it was, for instance, the first work of fiction that attempted to come up with a realistic/nonhuman description of aliens). It's also a work of literature that can stand on its own artistic merits... the opening passage where the narrator describes the mentality of the aliens (as quoted in modified form above) is classic.

Things that appear in WOTW before they showed up in any other work of fiction:

1)nonhuman, telepathic aliens
2)the notion that alien biology would be vulnerbale to earth bacteria
3)'heat rays' (AKA directed energy weapons)
4)poison gas used in battlefield conditions
5)the defeat of trench warfare by means of fast, mechanized units (presaging how tanks would eventually end the trench warfare induced stalemate of WW1)
ATSers might also be interested in reading another book on aliens by HG Wells... 'The First Men in the Moon'. The 'sellenites' are amazingly similar to the 'gray' aliens of today's abduction stories and the heroes travel to the moon in an antigravity device (rather than the usual 'cannon shell' method other scifi novels used in that era).

[edit on 16-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horsey316
looks like it can be a good movie, i saw sighns and that movie freaked me out. I just watched a movie called mission to mars on the sci fi channel that was a good movie i was suprised it had a positive out come has any one seen it?

Mission to Mars was a good movie. And in some ways it mirrored some prophecies I've read. Which gave it an even greater effect I think.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
WOTW is one of my favorite books. All scifi fans MUST read it. It sets up all the archetypes used in later alien-oriented science fiction stories (it was, for instance, the first work of fiction that attempted to come up with a realistic/nonhuman description of aliens). It's also a work of literature that can stand on its own artistic merits... the opening passage where the narrator describes the mentality of the aliens (as quoted in modified form above) is classic.

Things that appear in WOTW before they showed up in any other work of fiction:

1)nonhuman, telepathic aliens
2)the notion that alien biology would be vulnerbale to earth bacteria
3)'heat rays' (AKA directed energy weapons)
4)poison gas used in battlefield conditions
5)the defeat of trench warfare by means of fast, mechanized units (presaging how tanks would eventually end the trench warfare induced stalemate of WW1)
ATSers might also be interested in reading another book on aliens by HG Wells... 'The First Men in the Moon'. The 'sellenites' are amazingly similar to the 'gray' aliens of today's abduction stories and the heroes travel to the moon in an antigravity device (rather than the usual 'cannon shell' method other scifi novels used in that era).

[edit on 16-12-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

I'm wondering how close to the original this film will be. Will they hollywood (muck) it up?

I never read the book. And I can't remember when the film was made. Or am I thinking of the series. Oh well, HG definitely was ahead of his time when it came to sci-fi. Thanks for giving examples of that.

Edit: I just noticed the middle finger of the alien hand in the picture is over texas.

[edit on 12-16-2004 by ShadowHasNoSource]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Do yourself a favor and see if you can get a copy of the War of the Worlds radio show by Orson Wells. Just listen to it, and imagine how and why people thought it was a real newscast.... Simply amazingly done....

One might remember our own little Halloween homage....

top topics

join