It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Indians believe...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I always get a chuckle when I hear somebody start a sentence with American Indians believe... or something of that nature. They fail to realize that the terms American Indian or Native American are actually blanket terms used to describe 500 separate and distinct nations of people, each with their own language, spiritual beliefs, experiences, and cultures. If you really want to be specific you could say Potowatomi, Cherokee (Tsalagi), Creek, Sauk and Fox, Iroquoi, well, the list goes on and on. Really, it's just silly lumping all the people together and say that they all believe this or that when they're all different.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Are you speaking of something more specific? Or is this more of a rant on the generalization of Native Americans?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

It's nothing specific or a rant. I just had a thought, is all. One of my friends said something the other day and I realized how often I hear it.

I like your avatar, by the way. It's really cool.
edit on 2-2-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Ah just checking. I was not sure what you were getting at. Ive never heard it myself.

It is quite the ignorant statement isn't it. I mean there were so many different belief systems and varied quite a lot between he tribes.

Kinda like the way people lump all middle easterners together.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Yep. It's kind of like lumping all Europeans together too, for that matter.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What a pile of lumps we build hey?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The state keeps its "students" generally ignorant regarding the diversity and cultural richness of Indians on purpose. People are less likely (unfortunately) to be irate about their own government's genocidal policies when the victims are portrayed by establishment history as ignorant savages.

If you start seeing them as human beings you might start to ask too many of the wrong kinds of questions. Why am I pledging my allegiance to a government that did that? What's to stop it from happening again?

Those kinds of questions will get you handcuffed and medicated in today's schools, if you persist in such lines of inquiry.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I've never heard it put quite like that. It's true though.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

My brother, sister, and I used to get in trouble for correcting out teachers in history class when they got stuff wrong or glossed other stuff over. I found a book a few years back that shows how history is taught wrong. It's called Lies My Teacher Told Me.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

And they are like almost wiped out gone or bread out any way so who cares what american indians beleave.
Long live the wasps.

LOL IM KIDDING PEOPLE GOD WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU GUYS >

top topics

join