It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools sends kids home coatless in 30 degree weather: Violates School uniform

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Shouldn't child protective services be called?
Why isn't the employee under arrest for putting kids at risk?

If this was a parent doing it. That parent would be behind bars and on the evening news.

This is the perfect question....

In today's world we have seen parents arrested for much much less than what this "school employee" had done. I quoted "school employee" because apparently the school chose that particular phrase because they were scared to call it what it really is. So let us call it what the school apparently does not want to call it... a TEACHER!

So the question becomes, is there any precedence to make an arrest for such a thing? The answer is yes. There was a case out of Washington DC just in the last few days where a couple had left their 2 children in a locked car. The kids did have on coats, but the Police made mention that the kids had no gloves and no hats. The temps inside the car had dropped to 28 degrees. The charge? 2nd degree cruelty to children. SOURCE

So it is a crime to have children out in the elements and not dressed appropriately for the conditions.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrWendal

originally posted by: grey580
Shouldn't child protective services be called?
Why isn't the employee under arrest for putting kids at risk?

If this was a parent doing it. That parent would be behind bars and on the evening news.

This is the perfect question....

In today's world we have seen parents arrested for much much less than what this "school employee" had done. I quoted "school employee" because apparently the school chose that particular phrase because they were scared to call it what it really is. So let us call it what the school apparently does not want to call it... a TEACHER!

So the question becomes, is there any precedence to make an arrest for such a thing? The answer is yes. There was a case out of Washington DC just in the last few days where a couple had left their 2 children in a locked car. The kids did have on coats, but the Police made mention that the kids had no gloves and no hats. The temps inside the car had dropped to 28 degrees. The charge? 2nd degree cruelty to children. SOURCE

So it is a crime to have children out in the elements and not dressed appropriately for the conditions.

If teachers can call child services on parents for neglect, it would stand to reason a parent can do the same, the question then becomes, would anything come of it? Would a report actually get filed, would it be investigated, etc... Has it happened in the past?

If you type into Bing teacher investigated child services, you get results such as "A teacher's responsibility to contact child services" and only one page worth of hits.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj
I raise my kids in upstate ny close to lake onterio. If I had ever sent my kids to school with a coat and found out they took it and sent them home without it well.
me and the school along with any truancy officers that might have ended up getting involved would be having a pretty hot conversation because my kids would not be sent back till they understood that it was not gonna happen again!!

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Well is it really that much of a problem for the parent to drive themselves to the school and go pick the coat up then? I understand it is an inconvenience for the parent, but there used to be a time where people would just grunt and bare such trivial inconveniences. Now we whine and complain like our rights are being infringed because the school made a mistake and we have to go out of our way to make sure our lives go on normally.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MrWendal

Unless those were felony charges charged by a federal officer, charges and case study in DC is irrelevant to laws and case studies in North Carolina. If you want to produce precedent for such charges, produce a case in North Carolina where the incident in the OP took place. You can't use DC law to charge someone in North Carolina.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm sure the teacher thought he or she was gonna get a pat on the back and have their praises sung.Stupid zero tolerance policies or as I call them "Don't Sue Us." policies.They think they are being strict then they wonder why they got in trouble with the parents.
edit on 042828p://5826 by mike dangerously because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
More school idiocy! The coats color violated the dress code, so the teachers took them away and sent kids home without it, in 30 degree weather!

Middle school under fire!

A North Carolina middle school is under fire for sending students home from school on a cold day without their winter coats.

The students apparently ran afoul of a strict uniform dress code policy at the Ranson IB Middle School in Charlotte that includes outerwear.

Chanda Spates told WBTV in Charlotte that three of her children came home Tuesday without their coats and said the teacher took them because they did not match the school uniform. Spates said at least 20 other students were sent home coatless that day for violating the dress code.

She said the students were told if they wanted their coats back to have their parents come up to the school.

Spates said her children were told that their coats were taken away because they were not the right color, hunter green. She said last year Ranson sold coats that matched the uniform. This year the coats were not available in the right color.

Charlotte’s temps Tuesday afternoon were in the high 30s.

The school issued a statement the following day, admitting that it goofed.

"It goofed." Naaaaah, you think?

“Corrective action has been taken with the employee who did not return coats back to the students,” the statement added.

Can we make this clear now, YES, the coats may have violated the dress code. But DANG give the kids something to keep them warm on the way home and a dang NOTE home to mom and dad! COMMON SENSE!!!! Oh wait, we killed Common Sense. I forgot that. People, we have totally lost our minds. That's it, and that's that. We have lost our minds. The ones teaching our kids have NO clue what they are doing. I have no hope for us as a country anymore.

I wish they tried that # with one of my kids, I'd be happy to pick it up and give the ignorant #s at that scool a piece of my mind. and maybe my fist.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well is it really that much of a problem for the parent to drive themselves to the school and go pick the coat up then? I understand it is an inconvenience for the parent, but there used to be a time where people would just grunt and bare such trivial inconveniences. Now we whine and complain like our rights are being infringed because the school made a mistake and we have to go out of our way to make sure our lives go on normally.

The trouble is taking away a coat from a child in almost freezing conditions for a trivial reason, not just that they were taking something away. Are you being difficult or are you really of the impression people are mad because parents had to pick something up from the school??

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You would do that to my child one time and one time only, after that you would be incapable of most thing. Except being fed thru a straw the rest of your life.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
A.so the kids were required to wear school colors of hunter green .B the school had sold hunter green the previous year.C this year they couldn't order the coats in that color .D so teacher says you aren't wearing school sold coats ok go home and freeze on unheated bus. so you and a+b+Cxd = greedy arse schools. at least schools here in nc don't try to teach that new bs math. but yeah this is stupid they were mad because they didn't get coat sales mobey that year so they decided to be arses.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

OK I can tell that most the people flipping out over this are from the south. jk

30 degrees is a damn heatwave in Michigan this time of year. lol

But the teacher that took the coats needs an evaluation because that is just mean spirited.

edit on 3-2-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

This is the age where protocol and pettiness are more important than wisdom and common sense

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

what if they don't have a car available during school hours???
what if they also don't have someone to watch the coatless kids while they pick them up??
And what if it's even colder the next day when they walk their kid to school without a coat??

I suppose that the kid should just grunt and bare another 1/2 mile walk to school also?

Heck you don't even want to grunt and bare someone smoking a cigarette around you!

and by the way I would be irked at them sending them home without the coat and that would cause me to be twice as hostile when it comes to picking the danged thing up!!

edit on 4-2-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

No I agree, that is definitely a problem. But the person who is at fault for the mistake is getting punished. He wasn't working on behalf of the school since the school has apologized and is reprimanding him. So all that's left is to go pick up the jacket. But condemning schools and pitching a HUGE fit because you have to go out of your way to pick up a coat is silly. Blame the person, not the school. The person was an ass and he is paying the price for it.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

what if they also don't have someone to watch the coatless kids while they pick them up??
And what if it's even colder the next day when they walk their kid to school without a coat??

I suppose that the kid should just grunt and bare another 1/2 mile walk to school also?

That's a lot of what ifs. FIRST off, these are middle school kids. Walking a 1/2 mile in 30 degree weather isn't going to kill them. I did it TONS of times when I was their age. Second off, it's not that big a deal if all you have to do is return to the school and get the coat. If the kid is exposed to the cold one more time, he'll be fine. Heck, if it is SUCH a travesty to send your kid out in the cold like that, then keep him home the next day while you go get it during the school day. There are PLENTY of ways to get around this without making a big stink over this.

Heck you don't even want to grunt and bare someone smoking a cigarette around you!

This is an uncalled for cheap shot. You know DAMN well what my position on cigarettes are and you know DAMN well that this is misrepresenting my position on them. So just stop.

and by the way I would be irked at them sending them home without the coat and that would cause me to be twice as hostile when it comes to picking the danged thing up!!

Why would you intentionally make this worse for the school and everybody? The teacher wasn't acting on behalf of the school. The school apologized and has issued a statement saying the teacher will be reprimanded. It's not like the school is backing the teacher's boneheaded action here. This was the actions of a lone idiot. HE should get your wrath, not the school.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Education does not equate with 'Intelligence'.

Why are people so surprised to find stupid 'teachers'?

The draconian uniform policy is a means of bullying students and parents, should the school wish to.

Not all schools are that way inclined.

When I was at school there was a strict uniform policy and it included black shoes. My father was very sick and the only shoes I had was some old tan shoes of my mother's with holes in the sole and worn down heels. My father had tried to stick some old car tyre on the sole to keep them going. I looked a mess! But, I was a very clever student and no one said anything to me or sent me home or punished me.

It is astonishing that a school employee could be so 'backward mentally' that they can only see a 'rule' and not understand or see the difference between right and wrong.

Why do we allow the most stupid of people to tell us what to do these days?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

That's a lot of what ifs. FIRST off, these are middle school kids. Walking a 1/2 mile in 30 degree weather isn't going to kill them. I did it TONS of times when I was their age. Second off, it's not that big a deal if all you have to do is return to the school and get the coat. If the kid is exposed to the cold one more time, he'll be fine. Heck, if it is SUCH a travesty to send your kid out in the cold like that, then keep him home the next day while you go get it during the school day. There are PLENTY of ways to get around this without making a big stink over this.

This is an uncalled for cheap shot. You know DAMN well what my position on cigarettes are and you know DAMN well that this is misrepresenting my position on them. So just stop.

Why would you intentionally make this worse for the school and everybody? The teacher wasn't acting on behalf of the school. The school apologized and has issued a statement saying the teacher will be reprimanded. It's not like the school is backing the teacher's boneheaded action here. This was the actions of a lone idiot. HE should get your wrath, not the school.

The big stink, to me, comes in a third party confiscating my property. Maybe my kid has another coat, maybe not. But I have never given anyone at the school permission to seize my property without my permissions. Their rules be damned.

I would rather put the shoe on the other foot: there are many ways a school could handle a uniform policy issue without resorting to theft and bullying of my kids.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

But the school didn't approve of the actions of the teacher. How is this the school's fault? They had a dress policy, a teacher went on a power trip and did something stupid, the school said "WHOA! we didn't approve of this teacher's actions! We'll make sure this teacher is disciplined", and we still hold the school accountable? Why? Like I said, blame the person not the school.

Maybe if this school had a repeat situation where ANOTHER teacher did something similar that would establish a pattern of abuse, THEN I could see blaming the school for their policies. But to me, this is just one lone idiot on a power trip. No surprise there.

There are many teachers that go on power trips because it is easy to boss kids around. Heck, I had one that I butted heads with while in High School. This one time, I left my yearbook in the back of my pickup truck once, I realized my mistake right after I stepped on school property, and he wouldn't let me return to my truck to pick it up despite it being in plain sight of where we were standing. Of course the yearbook was stolen when I returned later that day (a yearbook was $80 and it was brand new). So I can relate to idiotic treatment here, but I also know now that if I had challenged him at the time, I would have won when they took he took me to the office since he was an asshole that no one liked.
edit on 4-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
About school uniforms...I agree with them from my own personal experiences.

I went to a very posh well to do school in a very wealthy area in Cheshire UK but I lived in the only council estate (one street) and we were poor even by poor people standards (one winter we had to rip up carpets to put on the fire to keep warm and burn old wellie boots..one of my fave childhood memories btw).
We had a school uniform blazer jumper etc and we also had none uniform days which I dreaded because while all the other kids had decent gear I had handme downs from the seventies
and I got ripped apart from all the other kids so I used to go in uniform and say I forgot.
So I agree with uniforms it helps the kids who have not got the latest gear not get bullied.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

But the school didn't approve of the actions of the teacher. How is this the school's fault? They had a dress policy, a teacher went on a power trip and did something stupid, the school said "WHOA! we didn't approve of this teacher's actions! We'll make sure this teacher is disciplined", and we still hold the school accountable? Why? Like I said, blame the person not the school.

Maybe if this school had a repeat situation where ANOTHER teacher did something similar that would establish a pattern of abuse, THEN I could see blaming the school for their policies. But to me, this is just one lone idiot on a power trip. No surprise there.

There are many teachers that go on power trips because it is easy to boss kids around. Heck, I had one that I butted heads with while in High School. This one time, I left my yearbook in the back of my pickup truck once, I realized my mistake right after I stepped on school property, and he wouldn't let me return to my truck to pick it up despite it being in plain sight of where we were standing. Of course the yearbook was stolen when I returned later that day (a yearbook was $80 and it was brand new). So I can relate to idiotic treatment here, but I also know now that if I had challenged him at the time, I would have won when they took he took me to the office since he was an asshole that no one liked.

When I receive bad service in a restaurant, I don't chew out the server. I address the manager. The establishment owns the actions of its employees. As a manager, I bristle at the notion that it could be otherwise. I OWN what my employees do. Sure, i may take it up with them later. But I do not allow patrons to chew out my employees.

Further, I suspect that "taking up" items is already common place in that school. So the environment for this nonsense to happen again is there.

Like you said: the kids weren't going to die having to walk in 30 degree weather. That isn't the issue to me. To me the issue is that schools in general have a habit of taking up personal property and not returning it. My yo ball in 2nd grade is one example. Another is these kids coats.

Finally, I don't think it makes it OK that the parents could just go up there to reclaim them. I don't have time for that in my life, to be real honest. Most days 24 hours isn't enough to get everything done. It would be a cold day in hell before I thought it "ok" that a teacher took my property, and then made me go back up to ask for it back. So i have to leave the office during the busiest part of my day just to go get my property back from a teacher that has no understanding of what "theft" is?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join