It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools sends kids home coatless in 30 degree weather: Violates School uniform

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
More school idiocy! The coats color violated the dress code, so the teachers took them away and sent kids home without it, in 30 degree weather!

Middle school under fire!

A North Carolina middle school is under fire for sending students home from school on a cold day without their winter coats.

The students apparently ran afoul of a strict uniform dress code policy at the Ranson IB Middle School in Charlotte that includes outerwear.

Chanda Spates told WBTV in Charlotte that three of her children came home Tuesday without their coats and said the teacher took them because they did not match the school uniform. Spates said at least 20 other students were sent home coatless that day for violating the dress code.

She said the students were told if they wanted their coats back to have their parents come up to the school.

Spates said her children were told that their coats were taken away because they were not the right color, hunter green. She said last year Ranson sold coats that matched the uniform. This year the coats were not available in the right color.

Charlotte’s temps Tuesday afternoon were in the high 30s.

The school issued a statement the following day, admitting that it goofed.

"It goofed." Naaaaah, you think?

“Corrective action has been taken with the employee who did not return coats back to the students,” the statement added.

Can we make this clear now, YES, the coats may have violated the dress code. But DANG give the kids something to keep them warm on the way home and a dang NOTE home to mom and dad! COMMON SENSE!!!! Oh wait, we killed Common Sense. I forgot that. People, we have totally lost our minds. That's it, and that's that. We have lost our minds. The ones teaching our kids have NO clue what they are doing. I have no hope for us as a country anymore.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Luxury I tell thee!!
When I was a lad we had to go down t' pit at the age of 7 and work 25 hours a day and then walk home 12 miles with no pants on in -10 gale force snowing storms all for 2 pence a week and If I didn't give me Da 2 pence 2 shillings he would kill me and dance on me grave.

Yeah back to the OP in one way I think oh the horror and then I think of what I had to go through as a kid at school playing rugby in the snow for three hours.
Character building they told us.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Shouldn't child protective services be called?
Why isn't the employee under arrest for putting kids at risk?

If this was a parent doing it. That parent would be behind bars and on the evening news.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would say that if you want the coat to match the dress code, then you make darn good and sure that you have coats available for sale that match the dress code. I'm not even sure we saw hunter green coats for sale this year.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

common sense has been replaced by common core.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74 HaHa Monty Python's 4 yorkshire men.
I loved that.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: covman

So true also
I live there.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The "educators" involved in this ....

do they have Masters degrees or just Bachelors ?

Fractional IQ I would imagine.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You know, every day thousands, hell maybe even millions, of people do dumb things. Individual, random acts of dumbness that happen for many different reasons. It's always been this way and will probably always be this way. The only thing we can do is deal with each thing as it comes along in the best way we can. .

This inane compulsion to search out these things and comment them to death and proclaim them to be an indication of X or Y or Z or shaming the dumb person or rant about our society going to hell just doesn't really make sense to me. Just say, yeah that happened and I'm sure both the parents and the school or store or agency or whatever will handle it appropriately, and probably without lasting traumatic damage to anyone and probably without arrests or lawsuits or deadly force.

Sure there's dumb stuff happening all the time, but that's called life. And stuff happens.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Here's your corrective action: 30 counts of "theft by taking" for the teacher. That ought to do it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Luxury I tell thee!!
When I was a lad we had to go down t' pit at the age of 7 and work 25 hours a day and then walk home 12 miles with no pants on in -10 gale force snowing storms all for 2 pence a week and If I didn't give me Da 2 pence 2 shillings he would kill me and dance on me grave.

Yeah back to the OP in one way I think oh the horror and then I think of what I had to go through as a kid at school playing rugby in the snow for three hours.
Character building they told us.

I had my stepmother make me sit outside in my PJs from 8 pm to 3 am with no coat, no gloves, nothing but PJs in 10 below because she told me to lie to my father about where she was. My dad came home drunk, asked where she was. I did as she asked and lied. She comes home, forgets she told me to lie, then accused me of, guess what, LYING! Love it! I, needless to say got hypothermia and now have Raynaud's. Best part? She was a nurse's aide, so she knew better. I HATE this snowy weather now.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Unbelievable. It's amazing how the teacher(s) guilty in this instance was able to receive any type of certification. Placing a child's health at risk should be considered criminally negligent.

Don't be surprised if there are a couple of people out of a job after all is said and done. You just don't mess with other people's children.

link   
This is the first time I've ever heard of a school dictating outerwear. What are they, fashion police for real now?

ETA: Sending the children home without adequate clothing to protect them is tantamount to criminal neglect, imho. I received a call from the school principal one day when he thought one of my children would be too cold after the weather soured, and could I bring him something warmer? I thanked him for his sincere concern and went to pick up the children who normally walked to and from school.

edit on 2-2-2015 by aboutface because: typo

edit on 2-2-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I would say that if you want the coat to match the dress code, then you make darn good and sure that you have coats available for sale that match the dress code. I'm not even sure we saw hunter green coats for sale this year.

You would think, right? Or, even have the dang school sell it in a catalog themselves. To me it would make sense. Or, even, offer another color option such as white or black.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

My son's school tries the "use your cell phone, and we will take it up" policy. If you want it back, you have to pay $5. The flat truth is: it is theft and extortion. The teacher is free to take it up during school, but they are then responsible for it should it be broken/damaged. But it must be returned at the end of the day.

I have made it very clear with my sons school: you do not have permission to take my belongings and hold them hostage.

I have learned, however: dealing with your kids school is much easier when you set (and maintain) the expectation that you can be a real pain in the butt when they poke you too hard with that stick.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
The "educators" involved in this ....

do they have Masters degrees or just Bachelors ?

Fractional IQ I would imagine.

At the rate things are going, I'm starting to wonder if all you need is just an associates nowadays! Why bother with 4 years, 2 is good enough! Oh you had a D average? Hell with it, we're desperate! You're hired!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Something to consider: it was a school in North Carolina that made its kids walk in the heat without water last spring.

heres a link
edit on 2/2/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
This is the first time I've ever heard of a school dictating outerwear. What are they, fashion police for real now?

Probably to prevent "gang colors".

And no, I'm not joking. It has come to this in a LOT of schools now. You'd be amazed how many schools are uniform schools. Just wait till the uniforms begin extending to coats, such as this one.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

My son's school tries the "use your cell phone, and we will take it up" policy. If you want it back, you have to pay $5. The flat truth is: it is theft and extortion. The teacher is free to take it up during school, but they are then responsible for it should it be broken/damaged. But it must be returned at the end of the day.

I have made it very clear with my sons school: you do not have permission to take my belongings and hold them hostage.

I have learned, however: dealing with your kids school is much easier when you set (and maintain) the expectation that you can be a real pain in the butt when they poke you too hard with that stick.

My daughter's school takes it as well, but without a fee. It gets locked in the Principal's office. They have a rule you must lock it in your locker during school hours. If you are caught using it, unless it's an emergency and the school gives you permission to use it, it will be taken away and locked in the office until the end of the day.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The curriiculum is now all about social programming and SFA about learning the three rs....
Its bloody well time to set the whole thing straight...tear it DOWN !
The teachers need to be dragged out and whipped with barbed wire.....
Worse if they don't stop socially programming kids to all be the same like light bulbs....
I await the day we rip this sicko society to pieces.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join